Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I was just amazed Saturday night. We had a good crowd but most of the game the fans were pretty quiet. I thought that was amazing. A chance to wrap up a playoff spot at home and crowd was never in it.
As far as the state of the program I think we all agree we have to do better. We got embarrassed Saturday night not just beat. The beginning of the 3rd quarter the score was 38-6! CSU a few years ago used to be the joke of the BSC. In 2011, CSU was 0-11!! Look what they have done since then with a coach who makes a whole lot less than ours and nowhere near the resources as us. I believe that this is Chadwell’s 4th year. With Coastal leaving and still not able to win the conference is a joke. Once Chadwell goes to a bigger school, KSU will probably take over the conference.
I will not even talk about the concessions!
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
Let’s compare the last two HC’s overall record
Gill- 58-72 (130)
Rocco- 87-40 (127)
The playoff run in 2014 was with half of Rocco’s recruits give or take a few. Gill has done nothing for LU from a football standpoint. He gets credit for the first playoff trip but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking he is the only one responsible for the playoff run in 2014. Rocco had the team going in the right direction and now we are regressing. Both with nearly the same amount of games coached the records speak for themselves.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:PH are you sure you aren't sipping the kool aid??
Ha. I was thinking the same thing. I had to check my mug!
No. As Potentate :flamingdevil I have always tried to be level headed when others are going crazy. People are going crazy. I'm just saying let's look before we leap. There are a lot of positives to go with the negatives There are things I certainly wish I'd see. However, I'm not close enough to know if what I'm seeing in philosophical difference or something else. With other coaches it was easy to see them lost the locker room, didn't bring in talent or had embarrassed the University. That's not the case here
Whatever. You're the new beej
That's hate speech. You take that back!!!
By Jonathan Carone
It's not completely fair to compare the two records head to head. Rocco's early schedules were so much easier than what we've been playing (for a variety of reasons). Gill was also up against the best three year stretch the Big South has seen (13-15). The playoffs were also on 16 teams when Rocco was here and App State and Georgia Southern still played FCS football. It was two totally different landscapes.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Image
Funniest tv episode I've seen in a LONG time.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Liberty got embarrassed at home twice this season. I can live with the JSU game, but to lose by 3 scores at home to a Big South Conference opponent is absolutely inexcusable. I love TG, but heads have to roll for this outcome, even if we somehow make the playoffs.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Chadwell's recruiting pitch, "Sure you can go to Lynchburg where you will have the best facilities as look flashy, but you'll play for a national championship at CSU. I accept your verbal commitment, welcome to the Buc family".
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:I was just amazed Saturday night. We had a good crowd but most of the game the fans were pretty quiet. I thought that was amazing. A chance to wrap up a playoff spot at home and crowd was never in it.
The crowd never had anything to get excited about after the first 15 minutes of the game.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Way too early prediction: Chadwell leaves CSU and we win the league next year regardless of how good/bad we are or who is coaching.
We will lose to KSU and GW next season under this scenario.
By Jonathan Carone
adam42381 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Image
Funniest tv episode I've seen in a LONG time.
I knew someone would get it, just didn't know who.

I still need to watch the finale.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:Chadwell's recruiting pitch, "Sure you can go to Lynchburg where you will have the best facilities as look flashy, but you'll play for a national championship at CSU. I accept your verbal commitment, welcome to the Buc family".
How often are we recruiting directly with CSU? We don't have a recruiting problem, we have the talent to win right now. We have a gameplanning and management problem.
By Jonathan Carone
Funny thing is one of CSU's (I think starting) linemen was coached in high school by Brock Smith. Liberty wasn't interested in him because he was too small.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Funny thing is one of CSU's (I think starting) linemen was coached in high school by Brock Smith. Liberty wasn't interested in him because he was too small.
Part of that could be because of the style they play. Option based linemen are different
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Funny thing is one of CSU's (I think starting) linemen was coached in high school by Brock Smith. Liberty wasn't interested in him because he was too small.
Part of that could be because of the style they play. Option based linemen are different
Absolutely. I just found it interesting when I found out about it earlier this year.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
I was speaking of overall coaching records. Not just comparing their time at LU Sure Rocco might have had an easier schedule at LU but I highly doubt the bigsouth schedules over the past five years have been close to playing in the CAA on a weekly basis. I don't care where you coach the record at the end of the day speaks for itself period. Rocco is a better coach. He will win a National Title if he stays at Richmond. Gill will be lucky to make it to the quarter finals.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:Liberty got embarrassed at home twice this season. I can live with the JSU game, but to lose by 3 scores at home to a Big South Conference opponent is absolutely inexcusable. I love TG, but heads have to roll for this outcome, even if we somehow make the playoffs.

I agree. This is the 3rd year in a row that we lost to CSU.
By Jonathan Carone
LUalum12 wrote:Rocco is a better coach. He will win a National Title if he stays at Richmond. Gill will be lucky to make it to the quarter finals.
Can't disagree with much there.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:Chadwell's recruiting pitch, "Sure you can go to Lynchburg where you will have the best facilities as look flashy, but you'll play for a national championship at CSU. I accept your verbal commitment, welcome to the Buc family".
How often are we recruiting directly with CSU? We don't have a recruiting problem, we have the talent to win right now. We have a gameplanning and management problem.
Yet.
By Jonathan Carone
Our recruiting staff is 100% different than it was a year or two ago. It'll be interesting to see how/what changes.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Gill has a much better personality than Rocco. I have talked with them both. talking with Rocco is almost exciting as talking with the light pole in parking lot.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUalum12 wrote:I was speaking of overall coaching records. Not just comparing their time at LU Sure Rocco might have had an easier schedule at LU but I highly doubt the bigsouth schedules over the past five years have been close to playing in the CAA on a weekly basis. I don't care where you coach the record at the end of the day speaks for itself period. Rocco is a better coach. He will win a National Title if he stays at Richmond. Gill will be lucky to make it to the quarter finals.
As our President Elect Says 'Wrong'
By Jonathan Carone
ballcoach15 wrote:Gill has a much better personality than Rocco. I have talked with them both. talking with Rocco is almost exciting as talking with the light pole in parking lot.
You didn't know Rocco. Most who were around them would have run through a brick wall for him. I still would.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Gill has a much better personality than Rocco. I have talked with them both. talking with Rocco is almost exciting as talking with the light pole in parking lot.
You didn't know Rocco. Most who were around them would have run through a brick wall for him. I still would.
I'm frightened to know what you would still do for him :jawdropper
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Jon is dead on with this.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]