Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Very disappointing. Hoped to be able to claim the title outright. Liberty didn't even look like they belonged on the same field. I also hope that CSU puts the nail in any "shared title/ tie breaker with KSU" talk next week.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Based on what I gathered the O Line was exposed. It's been put together with bailing wire and bubble gun all year. That's what causes hurried QB throws and stops a running game.

But let's just say Fire Gill, cause that will fix everything
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:It won't fix everything but keeping him around also won't help anything
I disagree It doesn't appear he's lost the locker room. He's able to bring in good talent. Although the O Line is suspect. He doesn't embarrass the University. Obviously there appears to be issues but I'm not close enough to know what they are. Being 'disorganized' is very subjective.
Removing him won't fix a lot of the Instutional issues. Dumping him IMO, does more harm than good
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
If it was just this year then I'd agree but it's been every single year. We are just stick in the same place with zero improvement.

Of course that's been a problem since before Turner Gill got here so maybe the problem is deeper than just the coaching staff.
By Jonathan Carone
When you pay the man more than many G5 coaches make, one playoff birth in five years is grossly underperforming.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: Of course that's been a problem since before Turner Gill got here so maybe the problem is deeper than just the coaching staff.
That's sorta my point.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:When you pay the man more than many G5 coaches make, one playoff birth in five years is grossly underperforming.
When you think financial advantage equal success you don't understand how it all works
Since I know you do I'll just chalk it up to being frustrated
By Jonathan Carone
Financial commitment doesn't equal success but at some point you have to look at return on investment. If you aren't getting the return, and we aren't, you have to reevaluate the financials.

With great salary comes great expectations. Those expectations have not been met. Turner Gill is a fantastic human being and a phenomenal Christian. He just isn't a great football coach.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Reasons to move on

-inability to improve on special teams
-whiffing with Dailey promotion, he's as lost as last years Easter egg
-wimberly cannot matchup against any option attack unless we straight up have more talent everywhere.
-1 playoff appearance in 5 years
-inability to develop and win with a qb
-attendance and interest will continue to drop after we wet the bed again and got everybody back out tonight
-1-2 of the position coaches were not qualified and are in over there heads
-inability to develop an offensive line
-finally and the most important, we have wasted 5 years when we had the best chance were likely to have in the foreseeable future to elevate the program and receive an invite to fbs.

Time to move on.
By rtb72
Jonathan Carone wrote:Financial commitment doesn't equal success but at some point you have to look at return on investment. If you aren't getting the return, and we aren't, you have to reevaluate the financials.

With great salary comes great expectations. Those expectations have not been met. Turner Gill is a fantastic human being and a phenomenal Christian. He just isn't a great football coach.
Yes Jon...you nailed it! I was hoping we had something in reserve for play calling.....we didn't. We should have been prepping for this game all year...I think they probably were. That makes it worse. After a 2 hour drive home from the game...I am posting this with absolute calm but with reason and resolve. Gill will not take our program past #2 (or lower) in the BSC. CSU has his number and so do other teams' coaching staffs. We do not know how to put together a successful game plan for big games. Gosh knows....I tried to give the coaching staff the benefit this year. I was loyal with the wallet and attendance.....but if he stays; I save money next year. Family enjoyment notwithstanding...we can go to the park instead. My kids do not like to see LU lose like this either.

You are right Jon! We put to much money and hope into this program for what we are getting.....and with Gill, we are not getting any better in years to come. I wish him good luck and blessings.....but it's time!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I was working during the game as I said. I caught the live stats in a slow period at work and it took a good bit of restraint to not take my phone and either chuck it to the floor or flush it down the toilet.

I didn't go into this season wanting coach Gill to be fired, but Im at the point now where regardless the result next week (although I will be rooting for KSU), I do think that a change (and a hit of the reset button) would probably do the football program some good.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Financial commitment doesn't equal success but at some point you have to look at return on investment. If you aren't getting the return, and we aren't, you have to reevaluate the financials.

Can't blame Gill for the money he is making LU wants to build the FB program with splash and sizzle. Who is LU going to bring in that is a splashier hire?
I don't like the way LU goes about it but I see LU getting its money's worth. Gill is a great face for the Program. Until they have some one in the bag who would be better they'd be foolish to let him go. Unless they are going to fundamentally change their approach which won't happen
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
For them to fundamentally change the way they hire coaches there is only one way to do that but saying that around here is typically unpopular
By rtb72
Purple Haize wrote:

Can't blame Gill for the money he is making LU wants to build the FB program with splash and sizzle. Who is LU going to bring in that is a splashier hire?
I don't like the way LU goes about it but I see LU getting its money's worth. Gill is a great face for the Program. Until they have some one in the bag who would be better they'd be foolish to let him go. Unless they are going to fundamentally change their approach which won't happen
He is a great face for the program. Maybe he could be a mentor for the student athletes. And no, you can't blame him for the $ he makes.....but to whom much is given, much is expected. At the end of the day, it's business. And you can't tell me he is the only HC out there who has values and the football coaching ability we are looking for.....especially with the price tag we have put on the position.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

He is a great face for the program. Maybe he could be a mentor for the student athletes. And no, you can't blame him for the $ he makes.....but to whom much is given, much is expected. At the end of the day, it's business. And you can't tell me he is the only HC out there who has values and the football coaching ability we are looking for.....especially with the price tag we have put on the position.
But do they have 'The Name'? LU could try to rehabilitate Art Briles.
I'm sure there are better FB coaches out there. There might even BE someone who has all the facets of making a great face of the Program. But would LU be interested in them? Not unless they brought a name or something with them. It's just how LU does things
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I would not be averse to going the D2 or D3 route. There are some very successful coaches at both those levels who I think could make the transition to D1...
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
While we thought that our numbers against Monmouthwere impressive and a sign of things to come, it turns out that we were just a wtf game for them... one of several

by the way, nice auto correct!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I would not be averse to going the D2 or D3 route. There are some very successful coaches at both those levels who I think could make the transition to D1...
As did Chadwell (North Greenville)
By rtb72
Name with them or not....over time, the program will continue to diminish and with it....the support. We better make a change while we can complete with salary or WE will not be able to hire anyone with ANY true college credentials. I've said it before and again i'll insist....LU is at a crossroads with their football program. It is now time to decide what they want in a program. If they want mediocre teams who can complete w/ Presby and GW, then stay the course. If they want to be a competitive program in FCS...it's time to do business as a top program or just settle for what we are. I'm good with whichever....I'll still love LU, but at least I'll know what to expect, where to spend my Saturdays, and how to place resources.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I love how yall have already closed the book on playoffs for this team and this year.

KSU could possibly beat CSU.

We can beat coastal and I believe if we beat coastal we get an at-large bid with 7 D1 wins! I know I drink the kool-aid but this years playoff bubble is no where near as strong as the last few years.

Let's not sink the ship "of playoffs" until there is no chance what so ever.

Because as we sit here tonight, there is still a HUGE chance.
G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

If the new players picks up on the pack line def[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]