Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I went to our NC State, UNC, Wake Forest and VA Tech games. JSU might be better than all of them.

Big size difference tonight. That Auburn transfer Roc Thomas is NFL material. Jennings will have to hang on to the ball better if they want to get past NDSU. That would be on heck of a good game.

Buckshot was the better QB. He needs more experience. He's GOING to be a good one.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Attendance was pitiful.there should not have been an empty seat in stadium.

JSU was a good team. Best I have seen come to LU.

No need to replace the coach.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
WinterIsComing wrote:Let the Art Briles watch begin!

The administration could not resist offering him if they could somehow guarantee that their egos would not get bruised as they were laughed out the door. Incidentally, this move would also earn Rocco his sainthood. Sort of like being a little less worse potential-President than Hillary (in theory), apparently gets one into heaven.
I don't need the most moral coach, but if Art Briles is hired, I'll just not go to games. There is no reason to bring that mess to Liberty.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
WinterIsComing wrote:Let the Art Briles watch begin!

The administration could not resist offering him if they could somehow guarantee that their egos would not get bruised as they were laughed out the door. Incidentally, this move would also earn Rocco his sainthood. Sort of like being a little less worse potential-President than Hillary (in theory), apparently gets one into heaven.
Other than your first sentence I have no idea what you are saying
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
No running game. Too many second and third and longs are killers. Looks like Buckshot is the clear starter going forward. Jacksonville State is outstanding.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I think what burns me the most about today's game is our lack of interest in winning. And that may sound ridiculous to some of you but it became clear early in the 3rd quarter that the coaches just wanted to save face on the scoreboard. We should be competing in these games and if we're getting beat by multiple possessions, we should at least be trying to get back in the game.

Additionally, I had someone ask me tonight, "What's the worst home loss in Flames history?" I don't know that answer and I'm sure it's probably more lopsided than tonight. However, tonight may be the worst home loss in maybe a decade?
By flamesfan4life1
This is an embarrassing loss, we were outplayed and out coached. Certainly not ready to throw in the towel but changes have to be made. Disappointed in our defenses tackling, they looked like pee-wee football players tonight. Earlier in this thread someone made mention of Rocco and his past with handling disciplinary issues, I assume this was in reference to the Asa Chapman incident. Sick of seeing stuff like that on this board. Rocco is a great guy and a heck of a coach. In the same amount of time Gill has had he has won the conference championship twice in a much tougher conference. He has beaten Liberty twice. He has also gone to the playoffs twice as an at large bid and made it to the semifinals last season. He has Richmond off to a great start this season and looks like they are poised to make another playoff run. There is literally no comparison. Liberty would have been better off keeping him. For those of you that do not think Rocco is a good guy based on the Asa Chapman situation then you're foolish. Same stuff happens under Gill and at every other program in the country with 18-22 year old kids that make poor decisions. With all that being said I'm not ready to give up on Gill yet, just hope we can turn it around. Sorry for the rant, just get annoyed when seeing dumb Rocco posts.
By Dalegarz1
Stunned! Didn't realize we were this far behind the elite FCS teams. Offensive scheme needs to change and put players in a position to succeed. That's the essence of coaching. Offensive line lacks mobility and quickness. There's more than being 300 lbs to playing that position. I agree that Hickson needs more touches. It will be interesting to see how the team responds in coming weeks. It will tell us a lot about the coaching staff. Only 15000 fans-what in the world is going on!
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I want to hear stuff like this after games like these and then see some follow thru:

"These guys better figure it out pretty quick," coach Pat Fitzgerald said. "They better walk out of the locker room. They better hug whoever they love. They'd better go to bed and they'd better wake up and they've got to get ready to get their rear ends coached off this week because that's what's gonna happen. I'm not gonna sit here and I'm not gonna take it and I'm not gonna accept it. They'd better buckle it up. They'd better start hydrating right now because it's not acceptable the way we're playing.

"It starts and ends with me so I'm gonna fix it."

OR

"I told our guys essentially that we're going in the wrong direction. We're not going to continue to go in this direction. We'll have to re-evaluate what we're doing, who we're doing it with, and how we're doing it," he said.
-Brian Kelly

OR

Dantonio ran down the list of categories in which his team came up short: "Possession time, turnovers, running the football, sacks, third-down conversions, combined with fourth-down conversions. It's all right there. That's why you don't win a football game."

I could go on...ACKNOWLEDGEMENT, ACCOUNTABILITY, ACTION...please.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: Only 15000 fans-what in the world is going on!

It looked closer to 18,000 to me. When I came through the gate the guy scanned my ticket 5 or 6 time and it never registered so he did a visual and told me to go head. I have a feeling that has something to do with it.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I can also vouch for the fact that there had to be more than 15k there.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I can vouch for the fact they'd never under count attendance
By Jonathan Carone
Let me state that any comments about Gill or Rocco are purely coaching related. Those two men are two of the best people you will ever meet. Don't confuse coaching decisions and results with their identity as men.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
flamesfan4life1 wrote:This is an embarrassing loss, we were outplayed and out coached. Certainly not ready to throw in the towel but changes have to be made. Disappointed in our defenses tackling, they looked like pee-wee football players tonight. Earlier in this thread someone made mention of Rocco and his past with handling disciplinary issues, I assume this was in reference to the Asa Chapman incident. Sick of seeing stuff like that on this board. Rocco is a great guy and a heck of a coach. In the same amount of time Gill has had he has won the conference championship twice in a much tougher conference. He has beaten Liberty twice. He has also gone to the playoffs twice as an at large bid and made it to the semifinals last season. He has Richmond off to a great start this season and looks like they are poised to make another playoff run. There is literally no comparison. Liberty would have been better off keeping him. For those of you that do not think Rocco is a good guy based on the Asa Chapman situation then you're foolish. Same stuff happens under Gill and at every other program in the country with 18-22 year old kids that make poor decisions. With all that being said I'm not ready to give up on Gill yet, just hope we can turn it around. Sorry for the rant, just get annoyed when seeing dumb Rocco posts.
I'm not a fan of Turner Gill as our head coach so please don't take this as me sticking up for him but the right call was made on Rocco. The Asa situation was a black eye and not handled right at all. Compare that to how Gill has handled disciplinary issues and it is a night and day difference.

Yes Rocco is the better coach but to downplay the Asa situation is simply wrong.
By Jonathan Carone
I'm as big of a Rocco fan as their is on this board. What he did with Asa was a mistake and unfortunately it was a big enough mistake to cost him his job. The mistake is not the definition of who he is or his character. It was simply a mistake.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
JSU has a great program and it attracts P5 transfers (ex. Rock Thomas et al.). They have superior talent, are better coached, and have a great defensive and offensive scheme. Their D line are monsters and had their way with our O line with 3 frosh starting. Calvert didn't have a prayer back there - it was reminiscent of the Steel Curtain. Coastal's going to kill us and we should lose to CSU, so if we're lucky we finish 6-5, barring KSU beating us in GA which would extend our road losing streak.

Attendance was pathetic given it was CFAW - where were all the students and did you see them leaving in the first period - "1Q of Fury". I'm done - I feel better.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
CFAW is a bloody zoo on campus, thousands of teenagers and their parents, sponsors, youth pastors and in some cases siblings...if I wasn't in the marching band (and a huge football fan) Id probably have at least left town for Saturday and come back Sunday

I have no thoughts on the game as it played out because I was working the whole time, but I cannot help but be embarrassed by this performance on so many levels.

I don't have Chippy's pessimistic view of the rest of the season but I really do think that there needs to be a major re-evaluation of the coaching situation...and soon
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I feel bad for the defense, which played so well on about 90% of the snaps, but ended up giving up over 400 yards on the other 10% Sloppy tackling was clearly the problem on some of those plays but poor scheme and communication was a factor as well They were able to get off the field a lot on 3rd downs and forced a couple of turnovers and several negative yardage plays, but oh, those 7 bad downs were killers against weapons like JSU has

Of all the things I could question the coaches about, the decision to go back to Macon, and then Mosely after the obvious infusion of energy Frankie Hickson gave them on the 2nd half drive which ended with the TD pass to Shells is the biggest, head-scratcher, and with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, not playing him at all in the first half is hard to understand as well
By flamesfan4life1
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm as big of a Rocco fan as their is on this board. What he did with Asa was a mistake and unfortunately it was a big enough mistake to cost him his job. The mistake is not the definition of who he is or his character. It was simply a mistake.
As a former player under both coaches I respectfully disagree. There is literally no difference between how Gill and Rocco handle disciplinary issues. There have been players under Gill who had been arrested multiple times that were allowed to continue playing. I witnessed it first hand. It is always a tough call to kick one of your star players off the team. I know Rocco could've handled the situation better but I know for a fact it did not cost him his job.
LSU

We better not need it. That win should be about im[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Yeah Reese Smith I think? There was another guy wh[…]

NMSU

Steenbergen was slated to be a starter was out all[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

No other demcrates with name recognition are tough[…]