Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamesfan4life1 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm as big of a Rocco fan as their is on this board. What he did with Asa was a mistake and unfortunately it was a big enough mistake to cost him his job. The mistake is not the definition of who he is or his character. It was simply a mistake.
As a former player under both coaches I respectfully disagree. There is literally no difference between how Gill and Rocco handle disciplinary issues. There have been players under Gill who had been arrested multiple times that were allowed to continue playing. I witnessed it first hand. It is always a tough call to kick one of your star players off the team. I know Rocco could've handled the situation better but I know for a fact it did not cost him his job.
I know for a fact you are wrong
By flamesfan4life1
Purple Haize wrote:
flamesfan4life1 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm as big of a Rocco fan as their is on this board. What he did with Asa was a mistake and unfortunately it was a big enough mistake to cost him his job. The mistake is not the definition of who he is or his character. It was simply a mistake.
As a former player under both coaches I respectfully disagree. There is literally no difference between how Gill and Rocco handle disciplinary issues. There have been players under Gill who had been arrested multiple times that were allowed to continue playing. I witnessed it first hand. It is always a tough call to kick one of your star players off the team. I know Rocco could've handled the situation better but I know for a fact it did not cost him his job.
I know for a fact you are wrong
You're right Jon, but there are plenty of situations that do not get out to the public that are just as bad. It's like this at every school, Liberty is no different. I'm not wrong, Rocco left simple as that. Barber wanted to take a year off of his contract because we didn't win big south. Rocco didn't like that, felt it was a slap in the face after winning four straight big south titles and completely turning the program around. Rocco also knew the 2012 season was a tough schedule for a team losing a lot of seniors and having a bad year could have gotten him fired. We went 6-5 that year so it would appear he made the right move. He was being put on the hot seat but he would not have lost his job before the 2012 season. You are wrong.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Actually the most recent declaration can be credited to Purple...not Jon
By Jonathan Carone
Fun fact since the department (read: Minyard) is in full spin mode and we know they read everything on here: our attendance last night was the lowest vs a ranked opponent since November 10, 2012. There have been five other ranked games between then and last night that have outdrawn last night.

Last night was also the second lowest attendance number vs a ranked opponent since the stadium was expanded. There have been 11 games vs ranked opponents in that time.

This is not an indictment on the effort and work of the sales staff. Rather it's an indication that the fans are starting to tune out.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
:roll: lol

If I can't misattribute replies, what's to say someone else can my probably sarcastic friend...does the board use one set of rules that I have to follow and everyone else follows the official rules?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Actually the most recent declaration can be credited to Purple...not Jon
Either way Jon and I are both right. Which is a rate instance
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote::roll: lol

If I can't misattribute replies, what's to say someone else can my probably sarcastic friend...does the board use one set of rules that I have to follow and everyone else follows the official rules?
I prefer anarchy.
By flamesfan4life1
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Actually the most recent declaration can be credited to Purple...not Jon
Rare* and no sir you are wrong.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamesfan4life1 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Rare* and no sir you are wrong.
Rare Rate whatever. I place the blame soley on autocorrect
As for the rest you tell yourself whatever you need to sleep at night
By flamesfan4life1
Rare Rate whatever. I place the blame soley on autocorrect
As for the rest you tell yourself whatever you need to sleep at night
Haha I sleep just fine. We can agree to disagree. The only thing that keeps me up is when we lose like we did last night. Hope this season turns around
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Is it just me, or should somebody deserve to be held accountable for all the resources we continue to put into this program, and have absolutely nothing to show for it? Not just, "golly gee Wilikers, you can't win them all!"
By rtb72
jbock13 wrote:Is it just me, or should somebody deserve to be held accountable for all the resources we continue to put into this program, and have absolutely nothing to show for it? Not just, "golly gee Wilikers, you can't win them all!"
Absolutely agree! Let's look past the fact JSU is a top notch team. Should we not be able to at least hang with JSU (include SMU in this too). Look at the big picture....the future vision of what we want and the money and effort going into this program. What does it say when your coaching staff is playing to keep their jobs every year and not: the University is fighting to keep them b/c they are churning out progress and in high demand. After five+ years....we have to ask if we are going to see average (just good enough to keep job and hope and wish for a better year next year) or above average (annual threat to win the BSC and move deep into post season). I would argue the latter should at least be on the horizon, and it should be the case for LU with consideration of the talent, money, facilities, fan base, etc. But it seems we are just kicking the can down the road (add reflection from comments of HCTG after Saturday night game here).

I like HCTG and I think he is a good man and mentor. But at the risk of sounding harsh ....business is business and not personal. If we want football to be a serious sport at LU; we are going to have to treat it as a business and have future vision for the program. That means making the tough decisions to put the RIGHT people in the RIGHT place to win and improve EVERYYEAR! Kicking the can down the road year after year will not make us competitive.....it will make us inconsistent, and at best....a spoiler. Sorry, but that is not an FBS caliber team or a championship team. I will always be a fan, but I really feel LU needs to examine what they want and let their action reflect that vision. You can say you want FBS, you can recruit like you are developing a top tier program, but if you can't perform consistently and demonstrate commitment to that desire.....refer back to said can being kicked down the road, year after year after year.

At some point, the hope in "next years", starts to fade (insert attendance from JSU game) and there is no hope in "next years" b/c the fan base (including DONORS) knows exactly what is done with top talent in a program that has the same mediocre coaching staff performance (insert last year's results). Sure we can blow out the nonscholly programs and win the games we're suppose to. Heck, we might even make it to the playoffs one out of three years.....but again, is this the vision for LU football? If not, LU better find someone (a headcoach and coaching staff) that shares that vision and is capable of delivering. LU better be prepared to put up the money for such a HC and staff. And at the end of the day....LU better be prepared to cut ties if that HC and staff cannot offer more than the average. That's just good business.....
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JSU can also gamble on FBS transfers that LU cannot. I'm not convinced the way to win at the FCS level is t with a lot of FBS transfers
By flamesfan4life1
I agree FBS transfers can't be the focus. They are hit or miss. Played with some that are really good and some that never panned out. I don't think that is the focus or the problem though. In my opinion our skill positions are more talented than they have ever been just not performing to their potential. We have to be better in the trenches. It def hurt us last game that we had 3 freshman starting on the o-line. We are young in a lot of other places too. I can't give an answer on how the coaches can get these young guys to buy in and play up to their potential so I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about that. I just know that the staff has to develop these guys in order for us to be successful.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamesfan4life1 wrote:I agree FBS transfers can't be the focus. They are hit or miss. Played with some that are really good and some that never panned out. I don't think that is the focus or the problem though. In my opinion our skill positions are more talented than they have ever been just not performing to their potential. We have to be better in the trenches. It def hurt us last game that we had 3 freshman starting on the o-line. We are young in a lot of other places too. I can't give an answer on how the coaches can get these young guys to buy in and play up to their potential so I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about that. I just know that the staff has to develop these guys in order for us to be successful.
You misread my statement. Or I didn't say it correctly I am beginning to think to win at the FCS level you do need a nice crop of FBS transfers.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here's my thought...one of the reasons Oregon did so well under Chip Kelly with the uptempo offense (and now with Mark Helfrich) is they would get the ball into the hands of their playmakers and speed burners any way possible: jet sweeps, counters, bubble screens, middle WR screens, etc. when you run three straight up the middle you are really handcuffing your offense. If I was the new OC and I was getting ready to learn that style of offense, Id be in the HC's ear to go to Oregon and spend a week watching film, analyzing the playbook and learning every nuance I could, then come back to VA and watch film of my guys and see which guys best fit within that scheme at every position
By flamesfan4life1
Ah ok maybe I misread, it certainly helps if you can get guys like Walt Aikens or Hunter Steward or the tremendous RB we faced last night. I don't think Liberty is the right fit for a lot of transfers that are really good because a lot of times those guys are leaving schools due to disciplinary issues. I think you may have alluded to that earlier. I see your point, would love to get in some high quality transfers. I think we have been about 50 % on the transfers we have gotten dating back to the Rocco era
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]