Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Jax State is clearly a cut above us right now. They've done it using the Rocco Transfer concept and taking it to the next level.

Defensively we couldn't contain all of their playmakers and we have a buch of young players who need to elevate their games in a hurry.

Offensively we were a mess. Frankie Hickson continues to be the most exciting player for us this year and we need to get him the ball more. Neither QB gave us much tonight. Receivers didn't help much eith of them. But the line play upfrnt needs to get considerably better in a hurry.

The good news is that the hardest part of our schedule is in our rearview mirror. Time to recailbrate move on.
By Jonathan Carone
Did Gill just say in the postgame that he's going to look at the tape and evaluate the quarterback situation? Did I hear that wrong? How is that not 100% clear at this point?
By WinterIsComing
Registration Days Posts
Let the Art Briles watch begin!

The administration could not resist offering him if they could somehow guarantee that their egos would not get bruised as they were laughed out the door. Incidentally, this move would also earn Rocco his sainthood. Sort of like being a little less worse potential-President than Hillary (in theory), apparently gets one into heaven.
By Jonathan Carone
"We've played some good competition so far this year. We'll be able to match up better with the people we play the rest of the season." - Gill

That, friends, is the epitome of our problems.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't watch Turner Gill interviews or press conferences anymore. I admit to not knowing football as well as some but for a man who has been around the game most of his life he sure comes off as not knowing much. I feel bad for the players.

We have put too much money into the program to be embarrassed like we were tonight.
Last edited by thepostman on September 24th, 2016, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
This was one of the first ones I've watched in a few years. I wanted to see if there would be some type of emotion in his remarks but it was the same emotionless coach speak the entire time.

Also - you're not the first to make the comment that it sounds like he doesn't know very much.
By Jonathan Carone
Jonathan Carone wrote:Did Gill just say in the postgame that he's going to look at the tape and evaluate the quarterback situation? Did I hear that wrong? How is that not 100% clear at this point?
Damien just said that Gill actually said that.

We haven't named our starting quarterback going into next week.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
We were warned by Kansas fans after we made the hire. I wrote them off. I guess I should've listened and been more cautious.

We won't win the big south this year if we continue to play like this.

I want to repeat that I did not expect us to win. It was how we were embarrassed that bothers me.
Last edited by thepostman on September 24th, 2016, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Did Gill just say in the postgame that he's going to look at the tape and evaluate the quarterback situation? Did I hear that wrong? How is that not 100% clear at this point?
Damien just said that Gill actually said that.

We haven't named our starting quarterback going into next week.
He needs to make up his mind and fast. For everyone's sake.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
#1. Being an Alabama fan I am used to Nick Saban running off at the mouth at times and being emotional to reporters. I am also aware of how others let their emotions get the best of them and say things that they shouldn't in an interview with the press. I for one am GLAD that Turner Gill is consistent in his interviews. He is all about keeping things in house and not falling prey to jumping the gun with the media. It's called integrity guys. I know the minutes to hours after a loss are emotional boiling points for all of us. Nevertheless, we need to keep things in perspective. Gill is going to do what is best for the team. Furthermore, those of you who think he speaks as if he knows little about the game, please just take a deep breath and relax. The Kansas situation was an extremely SMALL sample size and the guy before him left the program in shambles. Gill didn't have enough time to do anything there.

#2. I believe a lot of us thought LU would go 2-3 after this 5 game out of conference schedule. When we win next week guess what your predictions would be on spot. So, why are you throwing in the towel on a team that has SOOOO much left to play for. It seems by the actions of the coaching staff that Calvert going forward will be the starter. So, that will give the offense stability and a more threatening presence.

#3. I may be in a minority here, but I still believe in Coach Gill and will not make a rash decision on what we should do at the end of the year. Let the season play out and then take some time and evaluate what is best for the University.

I love this board and all that each of you bring to the table, but football is just a game and calling for Gill's head now is absurd due to the fact that come november you may be singing his praises because of making the playoffs and possibly bringing a home playoff game to Williams stadium!
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:"We've played some good competition so far this year. We'll be able to match up better with the people we play the rest of the season." - Gill

That sums it up for me. For a coach to say that - shows he can't coach.... Now we can play down to our competition. Not his fault - that has been the standard...

Seriously - If Masha starts another game - Barber should just take over coaching during the next game... HE'S NOT A QB!!! Why is he unwilling to push the envelope a bit - open up the offense a bit, take some chances, stop doing the same thing over and over - hoping the results are different. We GOT talent - let's see what they can do Coach. And can we please, take a hike from under center and give our RB a little head of steam? I hate the old - here's the bal, from a dead stop - good luck -
By Jonathan Carone
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:#1. Being an Alabama fan I am used to Nick Saban running off at the mouth at times and being emotional to reporters. I am also aware of how others let their emotions get the best of them and say things that they shouldn't in an interview with the press. I for one am GLAD that Turner Gill is consistent in his interviews.
Tonight he said "We just got beat. It happens sometimes. Obviously we’re disappointed but we’ll bounce back." in the classic Gill monotone. I'm not asking for Gill to be rude or run off at the mouth. I'd just like to see some emotion.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
adam42381 wrote:Did they announce the attendance numbers?
Ouch.
Seemed like more than that. Looked like 18k

We still have a lot to play for.
We know that we are not a top level team.
We may never reach that elite level, but we will be a top 25 team. We are not now, but we will be by the end of the season.
Offense is bad. The drop off from last season is incredible.
By rtb72
Jonathan Carone wrote:"We've played some good competition so far this year. We'll be able to match up better with the people we play the rest of the season." - Gill

Breakdown: "We pretty much went into three of our last four expecting to lose....but you give us a JV team we know is soft, and we'll really show you what we're made of". SMH
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
As others have said it is not the losses so much as the way we look doing it. That is on the players but more so on the coaches. We are not sharp. We are not prepared. We are not developing. At this level we don't get 5* talent. We have to develop guys. We have to play good fundamental football. We have to out scheme people. Make adjustments. None of that has been evident lately. We have opened up the wallet for facilities. We have full COA. Next is staffing up. Find guys who can scheme, who can develop, who can recruit. They don't all have to be the same guy. Hire guys if need be. That is what they do here in Tuscaloosa. The difference is a coach that demands accountability. From his coaches. From his players. From himself. At LU I think we demand it from the players but not so much the coaches. This ugliness is squarely on the coaches and Turner Gill is at the top. Stand up and demand accountability,Coach. The administration has given you every tool to be successful. No excuses!
/rant
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
He will never take us where we want to go. Our scheduling leaves us no room for error. Special teams is still an albatross and rotating qbs never gets you anywhere. Dailey appears to be in over his head as the play caller. I think i would take stamn back over him. It just seems like were always calling the downs in reverse. Attendance was down and the atmosphere was just boring again. Weve lost whatever momentum we had last year. Unless something changes drastically i dont see us making the playoffs and then gill gets canned if we dont. Hope im wrong.
By Equinox
Registration Days Posts
A team will eventually become a reflection whoever is leading them. Saben may be viewed as a self-centered perfectionist but his teams are well coached, competitive and play aggressive hard nose football. The same can be said for Coastal and CSU. If Gill doesn’t get this team heading in the right direction and into the playoffs, we will be substituting this guy’s KU comments for LU.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:15,354
Ouch.
Seemed like more than that. Looked like 18k
There is absolutely zero chance they'd understate the attendance numbers.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]