Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

They can actually make it better. If they released a statement that he was dismissed from school for Honor Code violations but the sexual assault appeal was overturned then it would be the school saying they agree with the police's findings. However, if they did that (which would be the right thing to do), it sets them up even more for a lawsuit.
Whoever LU has investigating this case, should now go investigate Hillary's National Security violations. Looks as if LU has better investigator than LPD or FBI.

But there must be more to this case than has been released. If Commonwealth's Attorney found nothing and did not press charges, there must have been a confession of some type to LU.
Jonathan Carone wrote:They can actually make it better. If they released a statement that he was dismissed from school for Honor Code violations but the sexual assault appeal was overturned then it would be the school saying they agree with the police's findings. However, if they did that (which would be the right thing to do), it sets them up even more for a lawsuit.
That's my point though...they are in the wrong no matter what and will have to deal with whatever consequences come about as a result
I'm okay with an honor code dismissal. The process has been a mess though because now he's essentially out three semesters because he can't come back until a year from now (if he wants to). They didn't even have the appeals process set up until last week. The whole thing has been horribly managed.
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm okay with an honor code dismissal. The process has been a mess though because now he's essentially out three semesters because he can't come back until a year from now (if he wants to). They didn't even have the appeals process set up until last week. The whole thing has been horribly managed.
I'm sensing their lawyer is going to stay after it for awhile. This might cost the University some $$
I heard about this entire situation last year when I was a part of the team. The night in question there were several football players that engaged in sexual acts with the "victim." She was a swimmer at Liberty. All consensual. Obviously that is disgusting and clearly violates the honor code but it was all consensual. This incident was called into question and the almost a year ago and the swimmer admitted it was all consensual. There were text messages used by Jacksons lawyers where the swimmer bragged to her friends about the night in question. She ended up getting kicked out of Liberty for drug use, saw a therapist and a year later made rape charges against 8 football players. 5 of them came forward and gave statements to conduct. They received 0 punishment and are still playing. Cam and Kyle did not want to speak to conduct so they were the examples that were made. Whoever said Liberty wanted to make a statement was absolutely right, they just clearly made a mistake in releasing this to the public when there was 0 evidence. I also learned that they are keeping the sexual assault charges on their files for dismal. They weren't expelled for honor code violations but for SA. I think these guys were screwed in a major way. It will be very hard for them to transfer elsewhere with that on their records. I know for a fact Jackson plans to sue in civil court. Kyle has one semester left and is trying to finish through LUO. I think this is a huge injustice but it goes to show it is much better to follow the Liberty way and remove yourself from these types of situations
Sounds like the type of kids we really want on campus and on the team.

Since this has apparently been widely known around the program why were these 2 allowed to participate all through fall camp? Sometimes I think it's not worth it to pursue athletics to no end when you hear some of the things the athletes are doing these days. I may be wrong but it seems worse now than it did even 10 years ago. I mean the Wbb situation last year was embarrassing as well. Mbb seems to be the only program that is cleaner these days. Of course maybe Im just not hearing as much on them as I am others. Disappointing either way.
Last edited by jinxy on October 5th, 2016, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jinxy wrote:Sounds like the type of kids we really want on campus and on the team.
I get why you'd say that given the details of the case, but every person I've talked to can't go on enough about how great of a kid Cam Jackson is. I'm not going to hold one night at 19-years-old against a kid and say he's a horrible person. What they did was obviously against what we stand for, but I can't throw stones because I made the same type of mistakes while that age and a student at Liberty.
jinxy wrote:Sometimes I think it's not worth it to pursue athletics to no end when you hear some of the things the athletes are doing these days.
There were a few parts of your edit I could've responded to but this is a piece that I think is a bigger discussion point.

Do we expect our teams to be made up of predominantly Christian athletes who then go out and represent Jesus through athletics or do we expect our teams to use athletics to reach kids for Jesus?

The answer to that question will reveal a lot about how you look at our programs.

I have always believed that our athletics programs are to use athletics to reach kids for Jesus. If a kid wants to come to Liberty and be exposed to all that we do and is willing to accept our Honor Code, I'm all for it regardless of their background. If they screw up while here, I'm also all for punishments. But to think our teams should be full of polished Christian athletes is the wrong approach in my mind.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
jinxy wrote:Sometimes I think it's not worth it to pursue athletics to no end when you hear some of the things the athletes are doing these days.
There were a few parts of your edit I could've responded to but this is a piece that I think is a bigger discussion point.

Do we expect our teams to be made up of predominantly Christian athletes who then go out and represent Jesus through athletics or do we expect our teams to use athletics to reach kids for Jesus?

The answer to that question will reveal a lot about how you look at our programs.

I have always believed that our athletics programs are to use athletics to reach kids for Jesus. If a kid wants to come to Liberty and be exposed to all that we do and is willing to accept our Honor Code, I'm all for it regardless of their background. If they screw up while here, I'm also all for punishments. But to think our teams should be full of polished Christian athletes is the wrong approach in my mind.
Let's not kid ourselves. This type of thing goes on in the General Student population as well. Those FB players and the swimmer weren't the only ones at the party
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Wait. What WBB situation?
I've have four people ask the same question. I have no clue.
Yeah. He just sorta laid that right out there and walked away
No I mean I know it goes on and has. It's just because there are more students than ever so there's more of it than ever. That's my main point.

Wbb? I had just heard that there was a couple players that let's just say we're more than teammates. It's second hand info so it may not be true but it was somebody that should know let's just say that.

As far as what athletics role is. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't like the fact that the feeling around campus is that athletes get away with everything. I also totally understand you will never have all choir boys and win. There's a happy medium there.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]