Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

BJWilliams wrote:Fair enough Jon. I guess my thought was with the honor code violations they probably are going to be out of school at least for this semester and if they do come back for spring ball its not guaranteed that they slot right back into wherever they were heading into this season,
Then say that. Don't say they are done.

If innocent, I hate these players are having to go through this. However, with the rape culture on so many campuses, and with a school (Baylor) with a similar structure as ours having systemic failures, Liberty was left with little to no choice in reporting this.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Fair enough Jon. I guess my thought was with the honor code violations they probably are going to be out of school at least for this semester and if they do come back for spring ball its not guaranteed that they slot right back into wherever they were heading into this season,
Then say that. Don't say they are done.

If innocent, I hate these players are having to go through this. However, with the rape culture on so many campuses, and with a school (Baylor) with a similar structure as ours having systemic failures, Liberty was left with little to no choice in reporting this.
BeeJ wouldn't be Beej if he didn't make an extreme statement and them back pedal as he agrees with the next poster
A Sea of Red wrote:Cam Jackson's family attorney has released a statement regarding these allegations

http://www.aseaofred.com/jackson-carrin ... legations/
Maybe if the University PR folks spent less time on trivial message boards and more time on matters that could cost them a chunk of change they would handle these things better. The family does not appear happy with the way this was handled and I'm not sure I would either
Yea, someone messed up bigtime on thiz one, but everyone earler was sayin how great it was that they were being suspended, but man oh man this gonna be U G L Y. But first thing I think of is how much is my family name worth, that has now been drug through the mud, your gonna pay, and pay dearly
Last edited by forbidden on September 13th, 2016, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Haize wrote:The family does not appear happy with the way this was handled and I'm not sure I would either
I think where Liberty screwed up was in the investigation, not the statement. If an athlete goes through a legitimate investigation and is found to have violated this policy then it should be reported as such.

Where the school got it wrong was intimidating possible witnesses who could've come forward in the players' defense. Because those witnesses were scared to speak up, only one side of the story was told. That factor led to a less the legitimate investigation.

My hope through this is that the truth, whatever it may be, will come out and that the University will revisit their protocol on these investigations.
forbidden wrote:Yea, someone messed up bigtime on thiz one, but everyone earler was sayin how great it was that they were being suspended, but man oh man this gonna be U G L Y.
They did deserve to be suspended for honor code violations. That's part of being at a school like Liberty or Baylor or BYU. I'll support the suspensions all day long.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
forbidden wrote:Yea, someone messed up bigtime on thiz one, but everyone earler was sayin how great it was that they were being suspended, but man oh man this gonna be U G L Y.
They did deserve to be suspended for honor code violations. That's part of being at a school like Liberty or Baylor or BYU. I'll support the suspensions all day long.
The suspensions were solid. But I think the statement and the investigation was FUBAR. LU could have issued a bland Comment/No Comment statement that could make vanilla look spicy. But naming names and allegations out in the public after an apparent slip shod investigation is D U M B
Yesterday Jon you were so supportive of how LU handled this and released the statement of the allegations. Now you think they screwed up, and Purple is saying it will cost millions. I read above that you stated that the facts of the investigation are what changed your mind. So the investigation was not in depth enough ? Im confused how this derailed from a great way to handle it to miserable , just because family released a statement .
Either way,

Rape Culture on campus' is real. Richmond, UNC are going through it right now. We all know what happened at UVA, and Baylor. As in any type of allegation, I hope the school did their homework, and has a good understanding of the case prior to releasing statements, and suspensions. I hope for these two boys sake they are innocent, and I hope for the schools sake they did not cross a legal line by making allegations public.

Also, if you think this is a football player thing, your wrong. I was shocked by the number of rapes reported on LU campus each year.
Its a "Kids cant handle their alcohol thing" and you're right... it's pervasive nationally

*DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NO INFO @ THIS PARTICULAR CASE *
R i wrote:Yesterday Jon you were so supportive of how LU handled this and released the statement of the allegations. Now you think they screwed up, and Purple is saying it will cost millions. I read above that you stated that the facts of the investigation are what changed your mind. So the investigation was not in depth enough ? Im confused how this derailed from a great way to handle it to miserable , just because family released a statement .
I'm still supportive of the statement on its own. I'm glad we aren't hiding potential sexual assault like we have in the past. When I said those things, I was operating on the assumption Liberty actually handled the investigation properly.

What has changed since that initial post is that I've learned people who could've spoken up during the investigation didn't because of fear of fines and reprimands. In many police investigations, they'll give immunity to witnesses if they'll come forward and help the police find the truth. Instead of that, Liberty continued fining students who were even at the party in question. That is where the school messed up severely.
This isn't the first time something like this has happened to an LU athlete. I do agree with most on here that the Baylor situation has caused Liberty to be more vocal about the process than they have in the past. I know of at least 2 other situations in the past 8 years where an LU player transferred to another school without a release like we saw this week.
I had tried to say this yesterday but my connection was having some issues...I was not so much backpedaling from what I said as explaining the thought process behind it...anyway from the sound of things, I am not sure that Cam Jackson will want to come back especially with pending litigation.
Except there is no rape culture. It doesn't happen anymore today than it did years ago.
Ok you are just trying to be shocking. There has been a rape culture for years and years it was just being ignored or swept under the rug. You are right when you say it doesn't happen anymore than in the past. In fact some stats show a decline which is great.

Rape is a terrible thing and our cultures long struggle on how to deal with it is finally starting to be addressed which is a good thing.
thepostman wrote: You are right when you say it doesn't happen anymore than in the past. In fact some stats show a decline which is great. .
So if that is true, how do we have a rape culture?
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]