Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Last month, I asked the question of whether or not Gill would be let go if this season does not meet expectations. Most said no but it resulted in a fun discussion. This month, I want to ask, where are we as a program? So, here's my idea, I'm going to create a survey and you just quote it to fill in with your answers.

How many wins do you expect this year?
How many wins should we expect each season?
What are your postseason expectations for this season? (no postseason, one and done, quarterfinals or better, championship caliber)
Where do we rank in the Big South?
Where do we rank in the state of Virginia?
How do we compare to our rivals (Richmond, JMU, Coastal)?
On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate our recruiting past three recruiting classes?
On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate our offense?
On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate our defense?
On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate our special teams?
Lastly, do you feel that with the current staff, we havethe capability to compete for a national championship within the next 5 years?

Keep everything clean & fun. Don't call for anyone to be fired. Feel free to throw in some discussion after you fill out the survey.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
We are stuck in the mud and have been for awhile. However I feel we have seen some hope of us getting unstuck. You know how it is: you rock back and forth and then you almost make it out only to go back down again. But usually that next time or two you come flying out and are on the road flying down the highway. IMO this year or the next LU will get out of the rut if they stay the course. But Inalso think Gill is the guy for the job and am a big believer in consistency of coaching.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I believe we have made some good progress in the recent past, but came off the rails last year. We were in the playoffs 2 years ago, for the first time. We beat Coastal the last 2 years, beat JMU in the playoffs and should have won the Villanova game. Won games against Georgia State and App State. Unfortunately, we have also had more than our share of WTF games. Special teams cost us 4 games, 3 years ago.
There is zero excuse for the Monmouth and GW games last year. If we were to have another one of those games, I would make a change. Other than that, I think Gill can take us to the playoffs every year, win some playoff games. I am not sure he is the guy to make us contenders for the Championship each year. I would give him a couple more years to see how that goes.
Like PH, I believe coaching continuity is a good thing, hoping that Gill can make continuous progress for the next couple of years and beyond. I like him a lot, but not sure he has the dynamic personality needed to take us to the house.
By Jonathan Carone
5-7

7-9

What are your postseason expectations for this season? (no postseason, one and done, quarterfinals or better, championship caliber)
None

Second

Fourth behind Richmond, JMU and W&M. Ahead of Hampton, Norfolk State, and VMI.

Richmond followed a playoff appearance in 2014 with a trip to the final four last year. JMU received a bye last year. Coastal is going FBS. Our program is significantly behind all of them despite winning games vs two of the three.

On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate our recruiting past three recruiting classes?
No clue. I don't keep up with recruiting.

3.5 - It had the potential to be great but poor play calling at times along with a QB who was inconsistent on important throws brought them down. Hopefully things are different with a new offensive coordinator.

3.5 - They've had great moments but have given up more than they should at times as well. I'm interested to see how we'll be in the second year of the 4-2-5.

2.5 - Lunsford has been great at times, but we've had absolutely no return game lately, have too many punts blocked, and haven't gained anything on special teams.

Lastly, do you feel that with the current staff, we have the capability to compete for a national championship within the next 5 years?
No. I believe Coach Gill is a great man and great Christian. He is someone who I am proud to say represents our school very well. With that said, I don't think he's the head coach that can get us to where we want to be.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Edit: Fine...I'll be original...
Last edited by BJWilliams on June 16th, 2016, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Did you just completely rip off some of my answers and not change them at all?
you seem surprised by this turn of events
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I did. You pretty much said what I was going to say so I kept them in those cases. I figured it'd be easier that way instead of you criticizing me if i repeated what you said with different wording. Sorry I didn't note that at the end.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:It is good to know that Jon and BJ are on the same page anyway. :D
It's a Bromance for sure
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
7-8. CSU has been out whipping boy and while Chadwell has certianly improved them, we really should try to reassert ourselves
8+
One and done for now but I would love to see us make the quarters
FIrst or second. CSU has improved and while they did win the auto last year I think we are still in the top tier of the Big South, especially with CCU headed to FBS
Tied for third. Richmond and JMU are the top tier in VA as FCS goes, then LU and W&M followed by Hampton, NSU and VMI
Richmond and JMU are the top teams as I said above, but while we are not "two or three away" as ballcoach likes to assert, I do think we have a chance to become a regular player in the FCS playoff scene
Tough to say, most recruiting classes can't really be evaluated accurately until the class is all seniors. If I had to give a number Id go with 2.
3. Its had moments, but some of the playcalling made me shake my head, especially in short yardage.
3 as well. There have been moments where its been dominant, but not enough to really call it a top flight unit overall
2. Lunsford had some absolute bombs (including the 60 yarder against Richmond) but he struggled with short to mid-range kick consistency. The return game has underachieved as well, and blocked punts became a bit more of an issue the last couple years
Lastly, do you feel that with the current staff, we have the capability to compete for a national championship within the next 5 years?
Possibly. I think the next couple seasons really will tell the tale for a definitive answer to that question.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Id rather not get in a debate with you as I know you are the former LU beat writer, but if you go back the last 10 seasons (to offer an accurate sample size I think), The only result where the Tribe has a clear difference is #of playoff appearances (3-1 including last year). Liberty has 15 more wins than W&M, zero losing seasons compared to 4 for W&M, both teams had 4 seasons where they finished the season ranked in a major FCS poll, and the combined margin over the two meetings in our sample? 8 points.

Call me deusional if you like, but the numbers don't bear out that W&M is miles ahead at least as far as Im concerned.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Id rather not get in a debate with you as I know you are the former LU beat writer, but if you go back the last 10 seasons (to offer an accurate sample size I think), The only result where the Tribe has a clear difference is #of playoff appearances (3-1 including last year). Liberty has 15 more wins than W&M, zero losing seasons compared to 4 for W&M, both teams had 4 seasons where they finished the season ranked in a major FCS poll, and the combined margin over the two meetings in our sample? 8 points.

Call me deusional if you like, but the numbers don't bear out that W&M is miles ahead at least as far as Im concerned.
That playoff appearance difference is huge. Especially when you factor in the conference they play in and strength of schedule. Which also pokes holes in your number of wins argument.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Beej - you're wrong. Plain and simple. We played in a very weak Big South and against weak schedules, not the CAA at its prime.

Playing in the CAA at it's prime did make wins harder to come by, but I will argue the same was not true for playoff bids. They were getting at least 4 or 5 teams a year in, and I think it might have reached 6 a time or 2.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:William & Mary is 4-0 all-time against Liberty, winning by a combined margin of 155-71.
That's a pretty pertinent data point
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
BJ, you can't always compare W&L records, unless you happen play the same schedule, and no one does that. You just don't have any argument here. As Jon said, there is a huge difference between playing a Big South schedule and a CAA schedule. Keep it real.
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
but really is it, I would say gap has closed, hell JMU apparently has tried by any means not to have to play us, What happened then vs. now is all I would be going by. Since HCTG has been here they are 1-3 vs CAA I think with that important post season win vs JMU and dang sure should of been V'Nova to, but also the losses to Richmond. And truth be told as they say your only as good as your last game. NOD to W&M
By Jonathan Carone
I think JMU not wanting to play us proves we aren't on their level. If a win over us would benefit them, or if a loss to us wouldn't be a massive failure on their part, they'd see value in the game. For now, none of those three CAA schools have any value in playing us.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'm not talking about JMU (although forbidden is). JMU and Richmond are the top teams in the state as far as FCS goes and I don't think that can be debated. My point is about LU and the Tribe. Yes they are 4-0 against us, but bear in mind that we haven't played them since 2007 (the infamous overtime game with the questionable spot). I don't think they are 14 TDs better than us these days though, even with a new starter at QB.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’ll[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]