Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Like I said, that raises a whole nother sub-topic when you factor in the younger programs because we have seen quite a bit of evolution within football over the 28 years LU has been a D1 program, and a lot of the younger programs have come in following these various "micro-evolutions"
By Jonathan Carone
BJWilliams wrote:Like I said, that raises a whole nother sub-topic when you factor in the younger programs because we have seen quite a bit of evolution within football over the 28 years LU has been a D1 program, and a lot of the younger programs have come in following these various "micro-evolutions"
Huh?

Edit: Ha! Posty beat me.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Expanding it to the entire playoff field:

Cal Poly - 94
San Diego - 93
St. Francis - 93
Central Arkansas - 07
Samford - 89
Charleston Southern - 93

So 10 of the 24 playoff teams are as young or younger than we are in terms of years being in Division I football.
Which should tell you IF there is a problem it's Systemic and not due to the coaching staff per se
I don't disagree in part. From 89 to 08 we didn't have an automatic bid into the playoffs. The deck was stacked against us then.

From 09 until now, we've had the auto bid pathway but have only won it once in eight years. Part of that is systemic because of the league we are in and the school we are, but if CSU can bust out of it with good coaching, I'd have to think we can too.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The game of football has always evolved, going all the way back to the era of leather helmets and no forward pass. The fact that we didn't have an automatic bid into the playoffs certainly played a part for the first 20 seasons, but even if we had access to a bid for the whole of the last 28 years, football (and the FCS/I-AA_ has changed, in more than a few areas (not the least of which is playoff expansion). I would like to see the success of teams who made the jump around the same time we did (not necessarily current FBS teams like App State and GaSou and even ODU), but teams that are, like us, still FCS.
By Jonathan Carone
Why? You're adding criteria that doesn't matter. It's not like we had loads of playoff appearances before the expansion and now these new programs are playing on a different playing field. Even under the expanded field, we have one playoff appearance. Most of the newer schools have more than that.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Lu seems to have always regressed after making the playoffs in every sport, (except women's bb). When we made playoffs and then beat JMU, future looked good. Instead of building on success of that season, we took a step backwards, and still backing up.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]