Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:Anyone know why we were his only offer?
Because nobody else made one?

It looks more impressive when you get a commit from a kid with a long list of offers, with a few FBS programs sprinkled in, but it can be deceptive. EVERYTHING that happens in the offer/commitment process prior to the signing of the NLI is verbal, unofficial and totally non-binding and more than one prospect has been known to "pad" their offer list to make themselves look like a hotter commodity than they really are.

Several years ago a young man committed to Gill at Buffalo, accepting his only D1 offer. His name? Khalil Mack.
Last edited by olldflame on June 15th, 2016, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
You don't need to overthink that sort of thing H_O. Just because we were the only ones to make an offer doesn't mean he somehow is a lesser talent or anything.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:You don't need to overthink that sort of thing H_O. Just because we were the only ones to make an offer doesn't mean he somehow is a lesser talent or anything.
Yes is does... I appreciate the optimism from you and Oldflame, but if the guy was that good - he would have received offers. Mack? Mack only played two years of high school football, in Florida. Went under the radar, but that was back in 2008 (I believe) - It's a different recruiting day today. He was a 2 star ATL and I'm not sure Green has any stars.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
It's also early. It's too early to even judge offers I think though I totally agree with proto if this was December or January.
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:You don't need to overthink that sort of thing H_O. Just because we were the only ones to make an offer doesn't mean he somehow is a lesser talent or anything.
Yes is does... I appreciate the optimism from you and Oldflame, but if the guy was that good - he would have received offers. Mack? Mack only played two years of high school football, in Florida. Went under the radar, but that was back in 2008 (I believe) - It's a different recruiting day today. He was a 2 star ATL and I'm not sure Green has any stars.
Actually your 1000% WRONG. NO it doesn't it could mean we were the first to find him, it could mean he said yes to this and could receive others later. Throwing your "offer" in the hat to a kid that has more than a few really is not impressive and IMO only means your doing it to just say hey we had our name in the hat but more than likely the kid with multiple offers of the FBS kind may not come anyways, its just a numbers thing to him and to the school. All for looks on both sides.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Girl in the Locker Room ?

Did she come with him, or is she in the locker room to take photos with the recruits ?
My guess is she came with him. Since it was a recruit visit I don't think they were like "no girls allowed!" Im sure mom and dad were in there to take that shot
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote:Several years ago a young man committed to Wimberly at Liberty, accepting his only D1 offer. He then changed his commitment to Buffalo after Wimberly accepted a job there. His name? Khalil Mack.
I corrected that for you. Just wanted to make sure the facts were right.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:My guess is she came with him. Since it was a recruit visit I don't think they were like "no girls allowed!" Im sure mom and dad were in there to take that shot
I thought for a second, maybe Liberty had adopted the Target Self Identifying policy. It May not be a bad idea to keep a couple Liberty Loving females around for social media announcement photos in the future.

^ Please apply the sarcasm font to this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
olldflame wrote:Several years ago a young man committed to Wimberly at Liberty, accepting his only D1 offer. He then changed his commitment to Buffalo after Wimberly accepted a job there. His name? Khalil Mack.
I corrected that for you. Just wanted to make sure the facts were right.
Nothing really wrong with the facts I posted. Was Wimberly the guy who "discovered" Mack? Sure he was, and yes, he was still coaching at Liberty when he started recruiting him. I don't know if Khalil actually made a verbal to LU before Gill hired Wimbo at Buffalo or not, but we all know how little that means anyway. Bottom line, he signed with Buffalo, and Gill was the head coach. If he indeed had previously committed to Liberty, it would have been to Rocco, not Wimberly. The role of assistants in recruiting is huge, but when it comes time to commit and ultimately sign, it is a commitment to the school and the HC.

BTW, is that you SuperJon?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Is his middle name Steele?
LOL. It is his nickname now....
Despite being Remington all his life, he actually goes by the same nickname as Rocky Balboa

BTW, he has been shamelessly promoting his HS teammate Jordan "Fabio" Aley on twitter Not too hard to see how he got HIS nickname He's pretty small, but man does he look explosive on video! I could see taking a chance on a kid like this if only as a possible solution to our long standing PR problems

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]