Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

If Liberty misses playoffs, does JB dismiss Turner Gill?

Yes
40%
No
60%
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I don't either PH...Id be willing to bet if we were able to see the staff's recruiting board, there are quite a few kids from VA and especially from the Lynchburg area on it. Im sure if some of us had a chance to spend some time with the coaches and actually seeing what goes into the recruiting process, there'd be a slightly different perception
By rtb72
I've been following FN for some time, but this is my first time engaging. As a recent alumni (albeit an aged one) I do not know a lot about the long ago sport's history at LU. I have been following in more detail the past four years and love attending the football games, home and away. I attended the GW game last year and was disappointed, but I do think the HC has more positives than negatives during the time I have been involved in the football program. I am hopeful for this season, especially with the new OC and QB potential evolving from the competition for the position. As I read in previous posts; this is his first year with just "his recruits", so affording him time to progress the program with his own selections would seem like the appropriate course.

BTW....thanks to FN for such an informative and interactive site.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
rtb72 wrote:I've been following FN for some time, but this is my first time engaging. As a recent alumni (albeit an aged one) I do not know a lot about the long ago sport's history at LU. I have been following in more detail the past four years and love attending the football games, home and away. I attended the GW game last year and was disappointed, but I do think the HC has more positives than negatives during the time I have been involved in the football program. I am hopeful for this season, especially with the new OC and QB potential evolving from the competition for the position. As I read in previous posts; this is his first year with just "his recruits", so affording him time to progress the program with his own selections would seem like the appropriate course.

BTW....thanks to FN for such an informative and interactive site.
Welcome to the board!
By Dalegarz1
I've been following closely the last 5 years. I have been patiently waiting for the program to take off and thought it might after the playoff run a couple of years ago. A very good win at JMU and a good effort against Villanova. (Incidentally, I was on the sidelines for that game and Petey did step out of bounds-it literally happened in front of me). However, last year was a major disappointment and no game illustrated that more to me than the Monmouth game which I attended. We played uninspired and our effort at times was embarrassing. That made me wonder what the culture of the program was really like. Of course, additional disappointments followed. I think this is a pivotal year and the program must take a step forward in order to keep this regime in charge.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Unless we have a couple of wtf games. I suspect TG will survive this year. He is replacing a 4 year starter at QB. Hopefully Masha will have a breakout year and we make the playoffs. We are going to have to have some kids really step up to have a successful year.
I hope after last year of under achieving we can maybe over achieve this coming year. A couple of bad games and I would be all for going in another direction.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Unless we have a couple of wtf games. I suspect TG will survive this year. He is replacing a 4 year starter at QB. Hopefully Masha will have a breakout year and we make the playoffs. We are going to have to have some kids really step up to have a successful year.
I hope after last year of under achieving we can maybe over achieve this coming year. A couple of bad games and I would be all for going in another direction.
I don't know how you guys define 'wtf' games, but the way I look at it, we have at least one almost every single year. The game against CCU two years ago where we blew a 19 point lead in the 4th quarter is an example of a game I'd count as a 'wtf' game. Indiana State... GW... Monmouth... CSU in 2014 @ home...

Everyone is singling out last year as though it was some sort of fluke year, maybe because it happened against two 'lesser' opponents back-to-back in GW and Monmouth. But every year we lose a game we should have won, meaning it was against a weaker opponent, or we were winning the game and we end up blowing it. Count me among those that wants to see LU grab the bull by the horns and own the league for once like we are capable of doing. It's always been someone else doing that (Stony Brook, CCU, CSU, etc.).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Unless we have a couple of wtf games. I suspect TG will survive this year. He is replacing a 4 year starter at QB. Hopefully Masha will have a breakout year and we make the playoffs. We are going to have to have some kids really step up to have a successful year.
I don't know how you guys define 'wtf' games, but the way I look at it, we have at least one almost every single year. The game against CCU two years ago where we blew a 19 point lead in the 4th quarter is an example of a game I'd count as a 'wtf' game. Indiana State... GW... Monmouth... CSU in 2014 @ home...

Everyone is singling out last year as though it was some sort of fluke year, maybe because it happened against two 'lesser' opponents back-to-back in GW and Monmouth. But every year we lose a game we should have won, meaning it was against a weaker opponent, or we were winning the game and we end up blowing it. Count me among those that wants to see LU grab the bull by the horns and own the league for once like we are capable of doing. It's always been someone else doing that (Stony Brook, CCU, CSU, etc.).
Let's talk grabbing the bull by the horns. For the record, CCU has not won an outright BSC championship since the league received it's autobid. The 2 teams which have are Stony Brook in 2011 and CSU last year. Every other year there has been a tie, including 2 3-way ties with LU, SB and CCU which were decided by silly tiebreakers the conference pulled out of their rear end. Our win on the head-to-head tiebreaker over Coastal in 2014 was as legit as anything Coastal has won and moreso than some.

Last year's 2 losses to G-W and Monmouth are very different than those so-called "wtf" games in past years. G-W was a flat-out awful team, and Monmouth not a lot better. Losing to MVFC teams on the road should shock noone, nor should losses to CCU, Stony Brook, or even the Jamie Chadwell CSU teams of the last 2 years. Disappointing? sure. Cause for profane exclamations? IMHO, no.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I define a "wtf" game as a game that Liberty enters as the clear favorite over a team that on paper should not come within 8 points of the Flames. The first true "wtf game" was PC in 2008. 2009 was the Stony Brook game when we were on that offensive explosion. 2010 was the Robert Morris game (IMO) after we beat Ball State.2011 we didnt really have one (I personally don't count the SBU game in NY in that category). 2012 I guess you could say the CCU game. 2013, you could say that ODU was a WTF game although I don't really think we were favored that heavily in that one. CCU you could maybe call a WTF because we gave up such a big lead and lost in 2OT but I don't think we were heavily favored in that one. 2014, you could maybe call the CSU loss a WTF...last yearyou could certainly call Monmouth and G-W WTF games
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Gill will be on the hot seat if we go 6-5, but he will not be fired. He may, however, decide to jump ship for something else if that happens.

I am confused why people are so down on Masha? It is as if everyone is treating him as Gill's scapegoat. "If we suck this year, it's because we have a 1st year starter at QB".
Stat line for his two starts: 1-1 record
Home against CSU
MASHA, Stephon 21-32-3int 238yds 4td 30 0 - passing
MASHA, Stephon 10 104yds 0td 36 9.9avg - rushing

At #1/2 Coastal with playoffs on the line
MASHA, Stephon 20-33-1 285 1 72 2
MASHA, Stephon 9 28yds 0td 1.0avg

I just don't get the lack of confidence. If we are to be an elite team, then we should expect Masha to step in and dominate. It's very impressive for a true Freshman to step in with a day or two notice and throw for for 4 TDs with 66% completion against a conference opponent. Then to lead his team on the road against the #1/2 team in the country and to the biggest win in program history is remarkable. Some people on this board say Chima's hand is the reason we won that game and that is total bull. Chima is irrelevant if the team doesn't play the way they did. Especially if Masha doesn't perform how he did when the pressure was on the most.

I am fully expecting Masha to have a stellar year and Gill to lead us to our 2nd playoff birth.

*Edit* Masha was a R-Fr when we beat Coastal for the trip to the playoffs.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Who said or came across like they were down on Masha? I'm not seeing that from anybody?
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Who said or came across like they were down on Masha? I'm not seeing that from anybody?
Quite a few people have referenced us "having a new starting QB" or "replacing a 4 yr starter" as a rationale to why Gill should have a pass for this year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Who said or came across like they were down on Masha? I'm not seeing that from anybody?
Quite a few people have referenced us "having a new starting QB" or "replacing a 4 yr starter" as a rationale to why Gill should have a pass for this year.
I think a lot of people on here have expressed skepticism about Masha's passing ability.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
While Woodrum had the size and arm strength that made us ooh-and-ahh, how many times did we hang our heads in our hands when he'd miss the wide-open guy down the middle of the field? Masha will go through some growing pains but I can't imagine he's going to miss as many downfield attempts as Woodrum.

I think Gill doesn't really have any heat on him. Truthfully, he probably stays at Liberty as long as he wants - unless the wheels completely fall off.
By Jonathan Carone
Jeff Barber wrote:We're ready to go. We’ve gotta get better than last year and play well and I think the coaches are in the right spot to do that. We brought in a new coach this year to help with special teams that I think will prove to be really help for us. I'll be honest, I expect to go into Blacksburg and give them all they want. I expect to have a great year from football next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Jeff Barber wrote:We're ready to go. We’ve gotta get better than last year and play well and I think the coaches are in the right spot to do that. We brought in a new coach this year to help with special teams that I think will prove to be really help for us. I'll be honest, I expect to go into Blacksburg and give them all they want. I expect to have a great year from football next year.

Sounds like he has high expectations. I'm glad to hear it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
What's he going to say 'I expect us to suck'?
By Jonathan Carone
If you watch the video it was said in, you can hear in his tone that he wasn't happy at all with last year and will be very frustrated if this season isn't different. I got the feeling he's not going to accept a rebuilding year excuse.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If you watch the video it was said in, you can hear in his tone that he wasn't happy at all with last year and will be very frustrated if this season isn't different. I got the feeling he's not going to accept a rebuilding year excuse.
Nor should he. There is plenty of talent on this team to meet or exceed expectations.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. I listened to it and it verified what lang said a few weeks ago. There was a definite intensity when football came up, to a lesser extent baseball and women's ball.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I agree with Jonathan, Why even bring up last year if your JB , unless your trying to make a point. I think that point he is making is, I wasn't happy with it, and if things dont change we could see major coaching changes this year.

Also, our special teams are much better under Gill, than they have been in my years following the program. Why would JB mention the Special teams coach and not the new Offensive Coordinator.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
What?? Special teams have been abysmal during gills tenure. Rocco was much better with the exception of the kickers year 1.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I'm sorry. Did I miss a discussion where anyone was happy with the way the season went last year?
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Congress, and everything else in D.C., is a corpor[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]