Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

If Liberty misses playoffs, does JB dismiss Turner Gill?

Yes
40%
No
60%
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
What time is kickoff? Will it be on ESPN3?
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
OK - I have been silent for a while, but will put my two cents in.

First, I liked Jeff Barber and thought he was a good AD. He wasn't perfect, made some questionable hires and underperformed on some key responsibilities, like fundraising, but he did get things done. Don't think Jerry, Jr. said lets build an academic performance building, a new practice facility, a indoor track, a swimming.diving arena, etc... without Barber bringing these ideas to him and convincing him it would be good for the programs. Also, it takes a lot to keep things moving at LU and he did that well. We also have seen improvements in game operations and you have to give him that credit. His biggest blunder, IMO, was releasing Royer and bringing in Toman. Royer was a great coach and Toman was not. Royer cared about this University and Toman did not. With these new facilities -Royer would already have us constantly in the top 25 EVERY year. Sorry - off topic...

I think Jerry will get someone in that has a LOT of experience, maybe even someone that leads a FBS conference. He wants true connections and navigation of getting into a FBS conference. He wants someone that understands BIG TIME fundraising for programs getting as big as ours. Even maybe someone from Notre Dame that understands the end goal. I think Mickie would do great, but I don't think he wants this position. He is happy where he is and I think the next person would love to keep him and I think he should get a pay raise.

I don't think Gill is going to be released. I think we might have this wrong. I think Barber went to Jerry and said we need to move on from Gill, and Jerry said no... That just makes sense, with Gill's daughter's reaction. I think it's hard to say Gill did a bad job, when he was working in a new QB, had all new RB's and a very young defense. I knew this was going to be a tough year... I don't blame the Coastal Game on Gill - I think the players just gave up and knew the game meant very little.
By Jonathan Carone
I don't think Jerry cares much about fundraising. He doesn't value donors because people who donate money expect influence and he doesn't want to give up influence.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I don't think the last two posts are out of alignment. I also don't think we will need to wait long to see Gill's fate. If he is leaving it could be today if CSU holds on against KSU closing out our season.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Is Gill under contract? I think that would play into the decision. I can't imagine the school wanting to pay amount of money to TG if he is not coaching here. They may want some stability in the program.
By Wvflame2013
Jonathan Carone wrote:My guess is there are 2-3 years left on the contract.
No-wonder barber was let go. He has made some boneheaded decisions that has cost the university millions.
By Jonathan Carone
If there are two years left then it wasn't boneheaded. It would've meant that after year three Jeff extended Gill by two years. That's fairly standard if things are going well. That year was the playoff run.

The amount of money was ridiculous, but the extension can be justified.
By Wvflame2013
Jonathan Carone wrote:If there are two years left then it wasn't boneheaded. It would've meant that after year three Jeff extended Gill by two years. That's fairly standard if things are going well. That year was the playoff run.

The amount of money was ridiculous, but the extension can be justified.
Extension yes. 650k +, no. He deserves at most 350k. And adding in layer....A lot of money wasted. Looks bad on Jerry with the school cut banks while the Athletic Department is spending like our government the past 16 years.

Edit.

4-year extension past the 2014 run would equal out to about 1.2milion too much pay for Gill. (650k a year vs 350k).
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
If gill is back i will not renew my tickets. Thats a whole group of 10 that will be gone. Judging by the feelings on here i say we would be lucky to get 12000 next year if hes back.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Yeah if Gill returns Ill have a hard time following. As they say same song different verse. You already know what to expect. Lastly you'll probably see next year the lowest turnout in students going to the games.
By Wvflame2013
ballah09 wrote:Yeah if Gill returns Ill have a hard time following. As they say same song different verse. You already know what to expect. Lastly you'll probably see next year the lowest turnout in students going to the games.
Sadly as a masters student, my ticket renewal is automatic...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:If gill is back i will not renew my tickets. Thats a whole group of 10 that will be gone. Judging by the feelings on here i say we would be lucky to get 12000 next year if hes back.
Unless they start winning, which with any O Line they will. Then people will be back
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
jinxy wrote:If gill is back i will not renew my tickets. Thats a whole group of 10 that will be gone. Judging by the feelings on here i say we would be lucky to get 12000 next year if hes back.
Unless they start winning, which with any O Line they will. Then people will be back
Even when Gill has had a good O-line AND a good QB, he still lost Big South games that he was supposed to win.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
My thought is due to the amount of the buyout Gill will get two more years to see what he can do. Furthermore, if he doesn't lead us to back to back playoff appearances than he will be let go even with two winning records aka more 6-5 seasons.

For the record I know our schedule is not finalized for next year but I see 8-3 as the minimum record and a playoff berth.
By rtb72
VAGolf wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Even when Gill has had a good O-line AND a good QB, he still lost Big South games that he was supposed to win.
Yeah...it will be tough to push out $$$ for season tickets when the excitement just won't be generated w/ the return of the current coaching staff, at least for me. I agree the O-line was dismal, but the defense needs a lot of work too. They let a lot of points get put on the board this year.
By Jonathan Carone
This is your yearly reminder of what Kansas fans warned us about:
Jonathan Carone wrote:This link was sent to me yesterday. It's back to the threads when Gill was hired and is a post by a Kansas fan. Here are some quotes from it:
Gill is not organized, at all. He struggled with the mundane to the significant tasks in running a program. He struggles with just organizing a practice.
Turner Gill's actual hands on fundamental and X and 0 coaching is severely, severely limited. He must rely on his staff to do it all. ... This lack of general football knowledge is critical because when there is a problem, he has no way to even identify what the problem is, let alone fix it.
Gill is a horrible public speaker, like the worst. He will install no public confidence in his message because he is not capable of articulating a message or plan. He might fool you the first time you hear him, but if you really listen he is beyond horrible. He will throw out random meaningless phrases like 'from that standpoint' and 'per se' at will, and you better get ready for the word 'there' because he says it every third word, said it around 80 times per television show.
No clue on time out or clock mangement. regularly burn at dumb times for not having enough guys on field.
Losses did not cost the job. He was only expected to win between 2 to 5 games. It was how they lost, often giving up by the 2nd or 3 rd quarter and setting records in futility that did it. And not one sign of improvement, it was actually getting worse.
The only way Gill could possibly work is if he has a great staff that does all coaching and organization for him and if he is just a figurehead, the guy who closes on recruits and kisses babies.
Another KU fan with less animosity had this to say:
More of an annoyance than a fatal flaw, but he says very little in press conferences. I think every post game presser this season could have been interchanged with the rest of them. It was always "We just need to execute better and continue to improve from that standpoint," never saying how we were going to improve, what went wrong, or what we were going to change.
I think he is a good man, and cares about his players as much as any coach out there, but players need a coach more than they need a friend if they are going to be successful. I am sorry it didn't work out at KU because I think that off the field, he is a great person to represent an athletic department.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:Here's a yearly reminder of who KU is :lol:

Yeah, they're familiar with suck. They're fluent and know how to assess it better than anyone.
Might have more to do with the school, or an AD or something?
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:Here's a yearly reminder of who KU is :lol:

Yeah, they're familiar with suck. They're fluent and know how to assess it better than anyone.
Might have more to do with the school, or an AD or something?

I mean, obviously they have a systemic issue, but their fan assesments were nearly verbatim what has been hashed out on this board.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:This is your yearly reminder of what Kansas fans warned us about:
Jonathan Carone wrote:This link was sent to me yesterday. It's back to the threads when Gill was hired and is a post by a Kansas fan. Here are some quotes from it:
Gill is not organized, at all. He struggled with the mundane to the significant tasks in running a program. He struggles with just organizing a practice.
Turner Gill's actual hands on fundamental and X and 0 coaching is severely, severely limited. He must rely on his staff to do it all. ... This lack of general football knowledge is critical because when there is a problem, he has no way to even identify what the problem is, let alone fix it.
Gill is a horrible public speaker, like the worst. He will install no public confidence in his message because he is not capable of articulating a message or plan. He might fool you the first time you hear him, but if you really listen he is beyond horrible. He will throw out random meaningless phrases like 'from that standpoint' and 'per se' at will, and you better get ready for the word 'there' because he says it every third word, said it around 80 times per television show.
No clue on time out or clock mangement. regularly burn at dumb times for not having enough guys on field.
Losses did not cost the job. He was only expected to win between 2 to 5 games. It was how they lost, often giving up by the 2nd or 3 rd quarter and setting records in futility that did it. And not one sign of improvement, it was actually getting worse.
The only way Gill could possibly work is if he has a great staff that does all coaching and organization for him and if he is just a figurehead, the guy who closes on recruits and kisses babies.
Another KU fan with less animosity had this to say:
More of an annoyance than a fatal flaw, but he says very little in press conferences. I think every post game presser this season could have been interchanged with the rest of them. It was always "We just need to execute better and continue to improve from that standpoint," never saying how we were going to improve, what went wrong, or what we were going to change.
I think he is a good man, and cares about his players as much as any coach out there, but players need a coach more than they need a friend if they are going to be successful. I am sorry it didn't work out at KU because I think that off the field, he is a great person to represent an athletic department.
Unfortunately, it looks like they hit the nail square on the head. I remember reading those quotes and just thinking they can't all be correct. There is no way that we would pursue him that hard/fast if all of that was true. :shock:
FWIW, the very first time I ever heard him speak, my thought was; this guy has no energy/personality, there is no way he could recruit me to come to LU. I have heard that echoed by at least 10 former players. Frankly, I am surprised he has done as good a job of recruiting as he has. Great guy, just can't coach.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]