Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
This is the only picture you will ever see of Josh in a G-Men Uni while in action. He was waived yesterday.

[img]http://image.nj.com/home/njo-media/width960/img/njcom_photos/photo/2016/05/07/new-york-giants-rookie-minicamp-8f3ae524c8d1f043.jpg[/img]
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Man, he looks skinny in that picture. I find it interesting that he thought it necessary to put on weight last summer and made mention that he thought the extra bulk helped him withstand some hard hits last year. Then he slims down to be more mobile for his NFL tryouts. IMHO we would have benefited from a more mobile QB last year. Priorities?
By gerb
"The Giants wanted Josh Woodrum after the draft as a priority free agent. Coach Ben McAdoo called the Liberty quarterback before the seventh round ended. Quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti Jr. did, too.

Woodrum was sold that if he went undrafted, the Giants provided opportunity. The Giants believed he could squeeze his way onto the roster as a third quarterback or a developmental prospect on the practice squad.

Woodrum had options. He chose the Giants over the Bucs, Falcons and Bengals."

https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/201 ... _agen.html
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
The signing of Woodrum would seem to indicate that the Colts weren't overly impressed by the performance of any of the tryout quarterbacks the team had in during rookie mini-camp this past weekend. Massachusetts' Blake Frohnapfel, Southern Utah's Ammon Olsen, and Florida State's Everett Golson were the quarterbacks invited by the Colts on a tryout basis, but it appears as if none of them impressed enough to be signed. Woodrum joins Andrew Luck, Scott Tolzien, and Stephen Morris as the quarterbacks on the Colts roster.
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/5/10/1 ... -mcfarland
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Man, he looks skinny in that picture. I find it interesting that he thought it necessary to put on weight last summer and made mention that he thought the extra bulk helped him withstand some hard hits last year. Then he slims down to be more mobile for his NFL tryouts. IMHO we would have benefited from a more mobile QB last year. Priorities?
It was recently reported in one of Damien's articles that he had put the weight on due to the injury the previous season. But I thought when I read that that he had said he put it on intentionally while working with Coach Gillespie. I wonder which is the real reason for the weight gain. It definitely hurt his mobility.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
olldflame wrote:Man, he looks skinny in that picture. I find it interesting that he thought it necessary to put on weight last summer and made mention that he thought the extra bulk helped him withstand some hard hits last year. Then he slims down to be more mobile for his NFL tryouts. IMHO we would have benefited from a more mobile QB last year. Priorities?
It was recently reported in one of Damien's articles that he had put the weight on due to the injury the previous season. But I thought when I read that that he had said he put it on intentionally while working with Coach Gillespie. I wonder which is the real reason for the weight gain. It definitely hurt his mobility.
Josh was very clear prior to last season that he had worked harder than ever over the summer in the weight room to get bigger and stronger. In 20/20 hindsight it would be easy to speculate as to whether he was more concerned with getting through his Senior year without injury than how effective he would be as Liberty's QB. It was easy to see he was slowed by the weight and less effective as a runner. We basically had to ditch the option, something which was very effective for us at times his Junior year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
If the Giants showed so much interest in him what happened for them to cut bait so quickly?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:If the Giants showed so much interest in him what happened for them to cut bait so quickly?
They interviewed him and he threw his teammates under the bus?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:If the Giants showed so much interest in him what happened for them to cut bait so quickly?
The NY press doesn't even know. But he WAS interviewed so......

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/5/11/11 ... ants-colts
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
lol The thought did occur to me, but I think he has been careful in his pro interviews. maybe they listened to some from last year and read what we posted here. 8) I actually suspect it had more to do with the guy they signed to replace him, BJ Daniels, athletic former S Florida QB who has also played some WR.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:More than likely, they watched him throw a few long passes to a wide open receiver, that were under thrown or overthrown by 4-5 yards.
I think they would have had to watch his LU game video to see that. He reportedly threw really well in the 2 days he was there.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:More than likely, they watched him throw a few long passes to a wide open receiver, that were under thrown or overthrown by 4-5 yards.
If you read the link I posted he appeared to play REALLY well
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Apparently they went with what was called a "journeyman QB" over him according to someone on Twitter
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Apparently they went with what was called a "journeyman QB" over him according to someone on Twitter
That would be BJDaniels, the former S Florida QB who was a late 7th round pick a few years ago and has played for 3 or 4 teams at both QB and WR. He's been around a bit, but I would say he is too young and athletic to qualify as a journeyman. He was definately a better college player than Woodrum.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Apparently they went with what was called a "journeyman QB" over him according to someone on Twitter
That would be BJDaniels, the former S Florida QB who was a late 7th round pick a few years ago and has played for 3 or 4 teams at both QB and WR. He's been around a bit, but I would say he is too young and athletic to qualify as a journeyman. He was definately a better college player than Woodrum.
But the :dontgetit is all the interest the Giants showed in him plus the financial commitment. Add to that the apparent solid on field showing he had and you have to wonder what happened. Heck your starting RB probably even had a good thing or two to add. It has to be more than a WR/QB player they could have picked up at anytime
By gerb
Giants fan comment on Woodrum before being released:

"He sounded a little nonchalant to me. When Pat Kirwin interviewed him on NFL radio, it felt a little like he was on the team versus trying to make the team. He made it sound like it was easy and it struck me as odd. May have nothing to do with it but just didn’t sound like a guy who wasn’t drafted. by Vin Joyner 2 on May 11, 2016 | 4:16 PM"

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/5/11/11 ... ants-colts
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]