Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Josh has played well. Baltimore only keeps two QBs and I do not see any way they keep Woodrum over Mallet. I think he could land on a roster because of his play, I just do not think it will be in Baltimore.

Congrats Josh.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
From BaltimoreRavens.com:

In Just One Night, Josh Woodrum Became Most Popular Guy in Baltimore

You better get your tickets now. The Josh Woodrum bandwagon is filling up quickly.

When the Ravens signed the undrafted quarterback, marking his fifth team in a little over a year, Woodrum was billed as a “camp arm." When he threw for a touchdown and posted a perfect passer rating last week, the reaction was, “Wait, what’s that guy’s name again?”

After leading the offense to three scoring drives in the Ravens’ 31-7 victory over the Miami Dolphins, including two rushing touchdowns of his own, an awesome monster spike, an incredibly endearing and likeable post-game press conference (Ryan Mink will get more into his backstory later today), Woodrum easily became the most popular guy in Baltimore.

(cont'd)
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/art ... 14cd88de58
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I'm just going to throw this out there...

If Woodrum ends up as the 2nd string QB with Baltimore, and LU finishes worse than 7-4, that makes me feel worse about TG and the drama that surrounded Woodrum's senior season.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:I'm just going to throw this out there...

If Woodrum ends up as the 2nd string QB with Baltimore, and LU finishes worse than 7-4, that makes me feel worse about TG and the drama that surrounded Woodrum's senior season.
Haven't seen Woodrum throw an effective long ball yet in a game situation. Maybe he has learned how since he left LU, but there is no evidence so far. He has looked real good in preseason running the ball and on the throws underneath. (Wish he could have done as well vs. Villanova).
I believe the "drama" that surrounded Woodrum at LU was waaaaaay over blown by a few disgruntled fans and players. If he was as bad a teammate as advertised, he wouldn't have been welcomed back like he was, and communicated to so frequently by the coaches, like he has been since his departure.
I wish him well on his journey because it is good for the university, but I remain quite skeptical that he will play much, if at all, in the regular season.
flameshaw wrote:

Haven't seen Woodrum throw an effective long ball yet in a game situation. Maybe he has learned how since he left LU, but there is no evidence so far. He has looked real good in preseason running the ball and on the throws underneath. (Wish he could have done as well vs. Villanova).
I believe the "drama" that surrounded Woodrum at LU was waaaaaay over blown by a few disgruntled fans and players. If he was as bad a teammate as advertised, he wouldn't have been welcomed back like he was, and communicated to so frequently by the coaches, like he has been since his departure.
I wish him well on his journey because it is good for the university, but I remain quite skeptical that he will play much, if at all, in the regular season.
I mean two 30+ yard throws in his first ever NFL game including a 33yarder for a TD. I'm not expecting Harbaugh is going all Aaron Rogers on Woodrums plays yet.

I doubt the Ravens carry 3 QBs into the season. He will not make it to their Practice Squad. He is a shoo-in for anyone that carries 3 QBs and could fight for a 2QB spot in about a quarter of the league.

And he doesn't carry Kaep baggage.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:

Way over blown but also allowed to continue by TG not putting a stop to it. It was obvious there was some issue between him and at least one coach.

I'm also not sure which Woodrum you're watching. He's had multiple, great, long throws and has been very accurate. I don't know that he'll play in the regular season but he very likely will be the most accomplished QB in LU history. The more he plays and the more TG coaches, the more valuable Woodrum seems to me.
I'm just proud Woodrum isn't making a bad name for LU. None of them really have. Jennings, Aiken's, Fogg are all representing the mission of LU well.

Him talking about his brother won a lot of people over in a New York minute.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Really it comes down to him and Mallett at this point and the latter has not played particularly well given the sample sixe
Here is the latest Reddit thread on the topic.

-Josh Woodrum is a QB who costs $465k/yr to keep, and if he is capable, he is young enough to play for ~10 more years. It is unclear how talented he is.

-Ryan Mallett is a QB who costs $2M/yr to keep. He has been playing NFL football for four years. His floor and ceiling appear well-characterized, which is to say: he's not very good.

But we don't actually know whether Josh Woodrum is any good! We've seen him perform very well against 3rd- and 4th-string defenses, but we don't have any good apples-to-apples comparisons. So we have two choices (start Mallett, start Woodrum) and we are trying to determine if Mallett is better than Woodrum.

If you start Woodrum, the biggest return on investment is that you learn whether he can play with the starters. If you start Mallett, you don't get any additional data to characterize Woodrum's ability, and any decision you make about Woodrum is made with less information, which has the potential to cost you $1.5M (and a few regular-season wins, in the case where Joe has to sit out a game or two).

If we assume that it's 50/50 which one's better, then your outcomes from starting Mallett are OK and Bad. Your outcomes from starting Woodrum are OK and Great. Since we can't know (at the moment) which one's better, we should choose the pair of outcomes with the highest total payoff, and that means starting Woodrum -- so we can choose between OK and Great, rather than choosing between OK and Bad.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
""He likely hasn’t done enough to pass Mallett on the depth chart, but the Ravens may consider keeping three quarterbacks on the 53-man squad considering Joe Flacco’s back injury. If Woodrum continues to make plays and show sound decision-making like he has this preseason, he could find himself on the roster for the regular season.""
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/art ... 6dabfa38e7

[youtube]B4sIyRlsdfo[/youtube]
By gerb
Is it just me or is Josh getting an unusual amount of exposure for a 3rd stringer? Gets the podium after the Dolphins win, gets a mid week practice interview and now a full blown profile by Ravens. Foreshadowing? Seems like a roster spot might be possible with a strong performance in the last game of the preseason.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/v ... bf1001748b
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
gerb wrote:Is it just me or is Josh getting an unusual amount of exposure for a 3rd stringer? Gets the podium after the Dolphins win, gets a mid week practice interview and now a full blown profile by Ravens. Foreshadowing? Seems like a roster spot might be possible with a strong performance in the last game of the preseason.

With Flacco on the shelf it's basically him and Mallett as the starter and with him doing well it adds to the story
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Also bear in mind the slight bump from his signing due to the CK drama.
By rtb72
Wow! I'm really impressed with how he seems to have humbled and matured. Both interviews just struck me of what a great representative he is for our school.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Maturity comes at different times for folks. He clearly shows it now and I agree that he has been a fantastic representative of LU in an area where it matters to the school.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Maturity comes at different times for folks. He clearly shows it now and I agree that he has been a fantastic representative of LU in an area where it matters to the school.
Couldn't agree more
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Often a good dose of humility will help a person re-calibrate their outlook on life. I'm rooting for him to get a roster spot. What I've seen of him playing, he looked very poised for someone who'd never taken a snap before.
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote:
gerb wrote:Is it just me or is Josh getting an unusual amount of exposure for a 3rd stringer? Gets the podium after the Dolphins win, gets a mid week practice interview and now a full blown profile by Ravens. Foreshadowing? Seems like a roster spot might be possible with a strong performance in the last game of the preseason.

With Flacco on the shelf it's basically him and Mallett as the starter and with him doing well it adds to the story
Josh has a new arm to contend with for tonight's game. Hopefully, this was simply a move to keep from having Josh play the entire game. May have also wanted to keep the pressure on Josh to see how he responds tonight.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimor ... y,amp.html
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]