Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
John connected on 13-of-14 FG attempts and impressed the scouts with his kickoffs. He certainly improved his draft stock in Indy.

It was frustrating as NFL Network kept cutting away just as Josh was about to throw in QB drills. But in the measurables he did well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:John connected on 13-of-14 FG attempts and impressed the scouts with his kickoffs. He certainly improved his draft stock in Indy.

It was frustrating as NFL Network kept cutting away just as Josh was about to throw in QB drills. But in the measurables he did well.
Knowing, John, the miss was probably from about 40 or so. lol That's a great job by him.
By libertyfan4life
Registration Days Posts
Quarterback Analysis:

1. Kevin Hogan (Stanford)
2. *Cardale Jones (Ohio St.) -- withdrew because of injury.
3. Cody Kessler (USC)
4. Paxton Lynch (Memphis)
5. Joel Stave (Wisconsin)
6. Carson Wentz (ND State)
7. Nate Sudfield (Indiana)
8. Josh Woodrum (Liberty)

Overall, the predominant view reading around is that North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz impressed. And Ohio State's Cardale Jones began, but had to pull out of the Combine because of injury.

And, Josh Woodrum won one category for the Three-Cone Drill, with the fastest QB time of them all at 6.74 seconds.

Some blogs did a lot of performance break down between dynamics of "best" and "worst." Josh did not appear to be mentioned much overall in terms of either extreme being the best QB on the field; nor was he thought of as the worst QB there either. It seemed he stood more middle of pack by most accounting comparative to the competition.

OVERALL, THE COMBINE APPEARS TO HAVE GIVEN JOSH SOME GREAT EXPOSURE WHICH IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT:

HERE IS A BLOG QUOTE EVEN FROM AS RECENT AS TONIGHT (03/03/2016)
QB’s: http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2016/03/ ... fense.html
"The other guy I am intrigued with is Josh Woodrum from Liberty. I really like his size and on the limited tape you could see good arm strength and his ability to throw guys open rather than throwing when they were open. He is a developmental guy who may not be drafted but has some tools to work with."
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I know I said I'm being selfish to see how he would do for the Rams, but I amo intrigued at how he might do under Belichick and his boys up there in Foxboro
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I know I said I'm being selfish to see how he would do for the Rams, but I amo intrigued at how he might do under Belichick and his boys up there in Foxboro
I don't see that one at all and Garoppolo is beloved by many in that franchise. Personally, I think if Josh gets drafted or makes an NFL roster, it will be with Cleveland. It's a fairly conservative offense that focuses on 10 yard throws across the flat; Josh can make those throws. They'll be looking for a strong QB who can withstand cold weather and run a conservative offense - Josh fits that pretty well. So, I could see Cleveland take a QB in round one and then Josh in the 7th round or undrafted FA.

The other team that MAYBE gives Josh a chance is San Diego. McCoy doesn't really have a set offense - just adjusts depending on his personnel. However, Rivers is starting fade and while Clemens is a nice backup, he certainly doesn't seem like a long-term option. They're in just the right spot where taking a QB in rounds 1-5 really wouldn't make sense but if they fill their needs, they could use a 6th or 7th on Josh.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I dont think you can draft a Back Up Qb based on team need. If you like a player in the 5-7th round you draft him, no matter the position.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Combine experience all but assures Josh of landing in an NFL Camp whether he is drafted or not. Sometimes it is better to not be drafted and have a few good options to choose between as an undrafted rookie. Sometimes it is more about right place and right time than just getting drafted. I follow the Texans and they have had quite few guys in recent years drafted 5th to 7th round not even make the final roster for their rookie year.

John is a shoe-in to land somewhere based not only his leg strength but the outstanding showing in Indy. Getting drafted as a kicker is rare but not inconceivable.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:I dont think you can draft a Back Up Qb based on team need. If you like a player in the 5-7th round you draft him, no matter the position.
If your wife gives you a grocery list of milk, bread & eggs...you don't bring home a mop because it was half off.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
R i wrote:I dont think you can draft a Back Up Qb based on team need. If you like a player in the 5-7th round you draft him, no matter the position.
If your wife gives you a grocery list of milk, bread & eggs...you don't bring home a mop because it was half off.
Touche

*If you mess it up royally one time early in marriage, she doesn't ask you to go much after that.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
She could send you to the store with money (draft picks) and say "get something for dinner, just whatever is on sale or looks good."
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:She could send you to the store with money (draft picks) and say "get something for dinner, just whatever is on sale or looks good."
In which case, why did you marry a Browns' fan?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Congrats to Woodrum for signing with the Chicago Bears as part of their practice squad. Hit a few bumps in the road, but he has officially landed in the NFL.
By Kiwon
R i wrote:Congrats to Woodrum for signing with the Chicago Bears as part of their practice squad. Hit a few bumps in the road, but he has officially landed in the NFL.
Amen! Congrats to him. Hard work and faith in yourself pays off!
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
With Jay Cutler possibly done for the season, Josh Woodrum could find himself second on the depth chart. What an amazing change of fortune in just a matter of days!
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2016/11/2 ... bears-qbs/
Cutler’s injury leaves the Bears with only two quarterbacks under contract, one of which is on the practice squad. Former USC standout and current NFL bust Matt Barkley is the most likely to take the first swing at the starting job, but little-known rookie Josh Woodrum may provide the Bears with the most upside in what is already a lost season.
By Kiwon
Wow! What an opportunity for Josh!

If he makes the active roster, I hope his critics, 99.5% of whom can't play the game themselves and assured everyone that it's ridiculous for him to imagine himself as an NFL quarterback, will show some humility and give the young man some credit.

To not get discouraged and quit and working to be in this position is already a great accomplishment for JW. God bless him!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kiwon wrote:Wow! What an opportunity for Josh!

If he makes the active roster, I hope his critics, 99.5% of whom can't play the game themselves and assured everyone that it's ridiculous for him to imagine himself as an NFL quarterback, will show some humility and give the young man some credit.

To not get discouraged and quit and working to be in this position is already a great accomplishment for JW. God bless him!
I hope he cracker a cold one!!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
What is this? His 3rd team? Giants, Colts and Bears? I don't know what his expenses were but with his signing bonus and a couple of weeks on an NFL roster that's a nice bit of money for your first year out of college Granted, it's not life changing or sustainable but pretty cool
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:What is this? His 3rd team? Giants, Colts and Bears? I don't know what his expenses were but with his signing bonus and a couple of weeks on an NFL roster that's a nice bit of money for your first year out of college Granted, it's not life changing or sustainable but pretty cool
Was he ever on an NFL roster? I thought he was signed to the practice squad. Also, do undrafted free agents get a signing bonus?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:What is this? His 3rd team? Giants, Colts and Bears? I don't know what his expenses were but with his signing bonus and a couple of weeks on an NFL roster that's a nice bit of money for your first year out of college Granted, it's not life changing or sustainable but pretty cool
Was he ever on an NFL roster? I thought he was signed to the practice squad. Also, do undrafted free agents get a signing bonus?
I'm too lazy to scroll back through but he did get one with NY and it was mentioned. I was thinking he made the rosters but could be wrong. Practice squad players still make at least a 1,000 a week though
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Looks like he got $20k guaranteed, plus $1000 a week for training camp. Practice squad guys make $6900 a week once the season starts. I'm not sure how long he was actually employed by the Bears, but he's done better than most recent college grads.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:Looks like he got $20k guaranteed, plus $1000 a week for training camp. Practice squad guys make $6900 a week once the season starts. I'm not sure how long he was actually employed by the Bears, but he's done better than most recent college grads.
His signing bonus and a week on the practice squad beat my 1st year!
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: