Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jimflamesfan
Membership Days Posts
#488542
jimflamesfan wrote:the only concessions that I could see the Big South asking is that we drop COA for Olympic sports & they also might ask us to stay long enough for them to find a football only replacement to make sure they have enough teams to keep the auto bid. We'd probably agree to both.
I already said that. I think we'd work it out. No problem!!
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Membership Days Posts Group
#488545
jimflamesfan wrote:
jimflamesfan wrote:the only concessions that I could see the Big South asking is that we drop COA for Olympic sports & they also might ask us to stay long enough for them to find a football only replacement to make sure they have enough teams to keep the auto bid. We'd probably agree to both.
I already said that. I think we'd work it out. No problem!!
Its more likely they say 'Dont let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya''

Just because LU WANTS something to happen, doesn't mean it WILL happen. See SBC.
#488546
I believe our compadres in the BSC are resigned to the fact that we have a competitive advantaged financially at this point, which includes the ability to pay FCOA for sports other than basketball. Some are more upset about it than others, but I also believe most of them know that recruiting to Liberty is not all a bed or roses. There are a lot of good athletes playing for all of those schools who would not have come to Liberty no matter how much we were paying for FCOA. ( Within reason of course, and I highly doubt we could get away with paying any more than we are, and in fact won´t be surprised if we get called to task on that at some point).
By jimflamesfan
Membership Days Posts
#488555
Purple Haize wrote:
jimflamesfan wrote:
jimflamesfan wrote:the only concessions that I could see the Big South asking is that we drop COA for Olympic sports & they also might ask us to stay long enough for them to find a football only replacement to make sure they have enough teams to keep the auto bid. We'd probably agree to both.
I already said that. I think we'd work it out. No problem!!
Its more likely they say 'Dont let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya''

Just because LU WANTS something to happen, doesn't mean it WILL happen. See SBC.

I disagree. I think the Big South would rather have our football out as long as they have a football replacement in place. There's no disadvantage to hoops...they already have other non-footbal members...and I think they'd keep our olympic spots even though they don't like FCOA. And it looks like they are already looking at additional football schools. We've had a long history with this conference. They actually have went out of their way to help us. How many times in the 90s was the Big South Championship held in the Vines. We had a home court advantage each year. I think we'd work with them...and they'd work with us.

Let me ask it this way...what if the Sunbelt offers Coastal a football spot only. As a Liberty fan, do you think the rest of the conference would try to vote them out...or would they happily keep their hoops and baseball teams? I think the Big South would work it out with Coastal as well.
#488556
Furthermore, the Big South doesn't have a football requirement in their bylaws like the SoCon and other conferences. Football didn't even exist as a conference sport until about 10 years ago, and there have always been teams that have not participated.
#488557
That is a moot point because the Sun Belt wants the non-football sports at CCU as much as the football. But it is a fair question to ask as a hypothetical.

Frankly I don't see the Big South folks wanting to run off our olympic sports. But I could be wrong.
#488586
BuryYourDuke wrote:There are people that project their self-loathing onto others.
:dontgetit Because someone thinks going FBS Indy is the worst possible move at this point they loathe themselves?
#488592
BuryYourDuke wrote:But sometimes it seems like there are those that think we should apologize for our university's unprecedented success.
I don't think we should apologize at all but we have to recognize that there are a TON of schools who don't like us at all and that very little of their dislike comes from our success.
#488593
I am so proud of the fact that LU has come so far so quickly. I just don't think we should rub it in people's faces and I feel like people within the Liberty administration do that. There is almost this feeling that we should be given certain things just because we have had such rise financially. Do I think it is incredibly short-sited and slightly bigoted that the Sun Belt won't invite us? Sure, but that is their decision. People that are so butt hurt that they are willing to take on the financial commitment of going FBS independent is insane to me.
#488598
BuryYourDuke wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:There are people that project their self-loathing onto others.
:dontgetit Because someone thinks going FBS Indy is the worst possible move at this point they loathe themselves?

Not at all. But sometimes it seems like there are those that think we should apologize for our university's unprecedented success.
'Unprecedented Success'? Or 'Unprecedented Growth'? We haven't had the 1st but have had the 2nd
#488603
While I am sure that there are some schools that don't like/hate us, I believe the talk about all of the schools hating us is waaaaaay overblown. There are a lot of top flight universities that play us in many different sports, that don't have to schedule us at all. You would think that if they don't really like us, they wouldn't play us and take a chance on losing.
That is just my opinion, which is just as valid as any one else, because no one can prove it either way. The indications, that we can measure, ie. how many schedule us, doesn't support tons of haters. But hey, I am just an old guy and not an expert all on things LU. :roll:
#488606
flameshaw wrote:While I am sure that there are some schools that don't like/hate us, I believe the talk about all of the schools hating us is waaaaaay overblown. There are a lot of top flight universities that play us in many different sports, that don't have to schedule us at all. You would think that if they don't really like us, they wouldn't play us and take a chance on losing.
That is just my opinion, which is just as valid as any one else, because no one can prove it either way. The indications, that we can measure, ie. how many schedule us, doesn't support tons of haters. But hey, I am just an old guy and not an expert all on things LU. :roll:
Considering that most scheduling decisions are made by coaches/athletic directors rather than university presidents. Coaches and ADs have one priority, winning, and most schools view Big South members as an easy W in a lot of sports. University presidents don't want to be associated with us in any conference but have no problems if a coach gets a W against us.
#488609
ATrain wrote:
flameshaw wrote:While I am sure that there are some schools that don't like/hate us, I believe the talk about all of the schools hating us is waaaaaay overblown. There are a lot of top flight universities that play us in many different sports, that don't have to schedule us at all. You would think that if they don't really like us, they wouldn't play us and take a chance on losing.
That is just my opinion, which is just as valid as any one else, because no one can prove it either way. The indications, that we can measure, ie. how many schedule us, doesn't support tons of haters. But hey, I am just an old guy and not an expert all on things LU. :roll:
Considering that most scheduling decisions are made by coaches/athletic directors rather than university presidents. Coaches and ADs have one priority, winning, and most schools view Big South members as an easy W in a lot of sports. University presidents don't want to be associated with us in any conference but have no problems if a coach gets a W against us.
We may just have to agree to disagree. I don't consider myself a kool-aid drinker by any measure. I just don't see all of the proposed bad-blood between ourselves and a lot of other schools. I know some exists, ie. James Madison in particular. I just think it has a LOT more to do with our money and growth trajectory.
Last edited by flameshaw on August 17th, 2015, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#488619
rmiller1959 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:'Unprecedented Success'? Or 'Unprecedented Growth'? We haven't had the 1st but have had the 2nd
Are you speaking specifically of athletic success?
Yep. And don't cite the Olympic Sport litany.
#488620
Purple Haize wrote:
rmiller1959 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:'Unprecedented Success'? Or 'Unprecedented Growth'? We haven't had the 1st but have had the 2nd
Are you speaking specifically of athletic success?
Yep. And don't cite the Olympic Sport litany.
Oh, I won't. :wink:

I know your focus is on the major team sports. I just wasn't sure if you were talking about success in other areas. Thanks for the clarification!
#488623
flameshaw wrote:I just think it has a LOT more to do with our money and growth trajectory.
It doesn't matter why they don't like us, just that many don't like us. We have an over inflated view of our "success" and think we deserve to move up because Bill Carr said we could.
#488627
SuperJon wrote:
flameshaw wrote:I just think it has a LOT more to do with our money and growth trajectory.
It doesn't matter why they don't like us, just that many don't like us. We have an over inflated view of our "success" and think we deserve to move up because Bill Carr said we could.
I guess we are all entitled to our own opinions.
User avatar
By R i
Posts Group
#488634
To Quote Drake - " Started from the bottom now we here"

The administration may have the mindset of, look where we came from, look how far we made it. Every time I hear JB talk , he sounds like he is extremly long sited and has a much bigger future planned. I think he is motivated to take us to that level. However, I could see a change and shake up being a positive thing. Maybe some of the haters that we are dealing with may give some credit if we make a hire at the top of Athletics. I think JB could be the man for the job, and has done fantastic up to this point, but its worth noting that there are positives to a change as well.
#488639
I have been critical of JB at times but he has done a fantastic job across the entire atheltic dept. Some will argue he was given unprecedented money and there is truth to that but he has done a great job with the abundance he has been given and it would be a mistake to change directions at this stage in the game.

Just my 2 cents.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 29

The last few posts above are all excellent posts[…]

New Basketball Arena

After the new basketball arena opens it woul[…]

Coach Freeze's Staff

The new assistant coach will have SEC on his resum[…]

Head Coach Hugh Freeze

In my opinion Coach Freeze is Top 5 now. What[…]