Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By R i
Registration Days Posts
I love his Love for the school. He genuinely wants to see Liberty and the schools mission be succeessful. He wants a house with a pool for sure. I have been JB's biggest supporter on this board, and hope he remains AD. Im glad to hear that you two feel the same, but it was worth throwing out for discussion because he is such an integral part of us moving up.
Changing ADs wouldn't really change anything considering how things are being run today. I highly doubt we could find someone as qualified as Jeff in the culture we currently have. I also believe the #FBSready campaign would've looked/felt different had Jeff been able to oversee it like most Athletic Directors.
JB is the best AD we have ever had................... by far. He isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. His job is to lay out a road map for the future. The higher up you go in an organization, the further out your planning timeline should be, Management 101. All of our AD's have done good things based on the age of the school and the resources/authority they were given. JB is the guy in the right place for us at this time in the University's history. I do not sense the entitlement mentality that several here allude to. We have to let people know what our future plans are, that is casting the vision. It helps in many different ways. From the very beginning the admin has said that our journey to FBS could be a long one, but that is the ultimate destination that we seek. No different than Doc saying he wanted LU to be the Notre Dame and BYU of the evangelical world.
flameshaw wrote:I do not sense the entitlement mentality that several here allude to. We have to let people know what our future plans are, that is casting the vision.
Again, had Jeff been able to run out the FBS Ready campaign in the way that most successful ADs would have, and in the way he likely would've wanted, things would have felt different. The entitlement mentality doesn't start in his office.
Do you mean to intimate that non Athletic people are making decisions for the Athletic Department? I'm :shock: I tell you :shock: That's NEVER happened in the past!
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I think its been JB and JFJR together. JFJR with some of the political plays, and JB with some of athletic director contacts. Thats all me guessing no knowledge.
jcmanson wrote:Who do you think has been making the pitches to the Sun Belt?
I guess I just always assumed it was Barber taking the lead since it seems most logical. Considering the dynamics of LU though I don't know why I assumed that looking back..
When Rocco was recruiting Nick in '09 he said "Come to Liberty where you will have a chance to play for a national championship and play in a Bowl game before you leave". Should have got it in writing. haha
sigmo7 wrote:When Rocco was recruiting Nick in '09 he said "Come to Liberty where you will have a chance to play for a national championship and play in a Bowl game before you leave". Should have got it in writing. haha
The first part was technically true. Every year as a member of an FBS conference with an autobid we start out with a chance to win a national championship. The second part, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, was at best overly optimistic and at worst :BS .
sigmo7 wrote:When Rocco was recruiting Nick in '09 he said "Come to Liberty where you will have a chance to play for a national championship and play in a Bowl game before you leave". Should have got it in writing. haha
Not surprised
By R i
Registration Days Posts
So Ronnie, your saying that nick applied for a medical redshirt and was awarded one, and will grey shirt this year, and he will be back in 2017 when we are in Conference USA ?
flameshaw wrote:JB is the best AD we have ever had................... by far. He isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. His job is to lay out a road map for the future. The higher up you go in an organization, the further out your planning timeline should be, Management 101. All of our AD's have done good things based on the age of the school and the resources/authority they were given. JB is the guy in the right place for us at this time in the University's history. I do not sense the entitlement mentality that several here allude to. We have to let people know what our future plans are, that is casting the vision. It helps in many different ways. From the very beginning the admin has said that our journey to FBS could be a long one, but that is the ultimate destination that we seek. No different than Doc saying he wanted LU to be the Notre Dame and BYU of the evangelical world.
I am a big JB fan as well, but will take a bit of an exception with the ¨by far¨ statement. We had a guy here from 1980-83 Named Terry Don Phillips who was in his early 30s in his first administrative job when he arrived, but has done pretty well for himself since. He was the AD at Clemson for 10 years before retiring in 2012 and at Oklahoma State for 7 years before that. Everyone knew when he was here that he was really good at his job and destined to be an AD at the highest levels, but we were in horrible shape financially and couldn´t afford to keep him so he left for LA-Lafayette. Anyone else find it ironic that we now can´t get into their conference because we have TOO MUCH money?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Don_Phillips
Anyone suggesting that JB needs to be replaced, doesn't understand the impact he and his wife have had on the school. I've certainly had my run-ins with them in a non-professional setting (twitter), however, I'll never say anything negative about his ability as an AD.

There isn't one AD that would have us FBS by now. Several factors have contributed to us being where we are now, and JB has certainly played a major role. He is a fantastic AD and we should cherish him while we have him.

Life isn't always black and white. Sure, he's made some questionable decisions at times. But I believe those were just simply him taking risks. It's a lot easier to look back and realize where you went wrong.

Stop looking for someone to blame and instead, realize we are what we are and that is a Christian school, in the middle of nowhere, that hasn't had a ton of on-field/court success until recently.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:Stop looking for someone to blame and instead, realize we are what we are and that is a Christian school, in the middle of nowhere, that hasn't had a ton of on-field/court success until recently.

:clapping
Dr. Sheh wrote:
jcmanson wrote:Who do you think has been making the pitches to the Sun Belt?
I guess I just always assumed it was Barber taking the lead since it seems most logical. Considering the dynamics of LU though I don't know why I assumed that looking back..
Barber played a huge role in figuring a message, but receiving an invitation to an NCAA Athletics Conference has a lot more to do with non-athletic activites and ventures than you might think. Remember that each school gets a vote, and the individual voting is usually the President/Chancellor of that institution. Why would you send your AD, who knows a whole lot about athletics, but doesn't have a big picture view of everything else that is extremely important to the voting members to deliver your pitch?
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]