Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUDad
flamesfilmguy wrote: November 29th, 2020, 11:35 pm I leave to fish for a week on the beach and I come back to this gem of a thread awoken again. Its amazing to me how much nuance is lost on people nowadays. Is this the best season LU's ever had in football? absolutely. Beating two (granted one of the two is awful) ACC schools, capitalizing on everything they have while putting money into the program to make it successful, getting a head coach (yes I know I was against it for the optics but the more I watch him the more I think he's a changed man and I'm happy to be wrong about that) that can recruit guys that succeed here. Its all coming together. HOWEVER. one season of success does not make us a BYU much less capable of being on the same plane as ND. Those programs have a history of sustained success. Yes we have had an incredible season but talk of joining the big 12 is just insanity. A. what a terrible travel schedule for all sports that would be. B. the AAC still makes the most sense long term for us unless you guys are willing to go the BYU rout but honestly sustained success as an independent vs. Sustained success in the AAC I'm not sure which one gets you a call from a P5 conference first. Again nuance. Which I think what Purple has been preaching the whole time in his own curmudgeon way :). He and I have also admitted when we were wrong on multiple occasions. So I don't know why everyone gets so defensive when we voice differing opinions. Ya'll have forgotten that its ok to disagree with someone and still have quality dialog.
A week of fishing, I'm jealous. Got any good fish stories for us?
LUDad wrote: December 4th, 2020, 11:08 pm
flamesfilmguy wrote: November 29th, 2020, 11:35 pm I leave to fish for a week on the beach and I come back to this gem of a thread awoken again. Its amazing to me how much nuance is lost on people nowadays. Is this the best season LU's ever had in football? absolutely. Beating two (granted one of the two is awful) ACC schools, capitalizing on everything they have while putting money into the program to make it successful, getting a head coach (yes I know I was against it for the optics but the more I watch him the more I think he's a changed man and I'm happy to be wrong about that) that can recruit guys that succeed here. Its all coming together. HOWEVER. one season of success does not make us a BYU much less capable of being on the same plane as ND. Those programs have a history of sustained success. Yes we have had an incredible season but talk of joining the big 12 is just insanity. A. what a terrible travel schedule for all sports that would be. B. the AAC still makes the most sense long term for us unless you guys are willing to go the BYU rout but honestly sustained success as an independent vs. Sustained success in the AAC I'm not sure which one gets you a call from a P5 conference first. Again nuance. Which I think what Purple has been preaching the whole time in his own curmudgeon way :). He and I have also admitted when we were wrong on multiple occasions. So I don't know why everyone gets so defensive when we voice differing opinions. Ya'll have forgotten that its ok to disagree with someone and still have quality dialog.
A week of fishing, I'm jealous. Got any good fish stories for us?
If the ACC Presidents didn’t have to vote, your post makes perfect sense. Politics aside and it is by far the biggest issue, we are way too far behind academically ( and yes BC points out Louisville ). I view Indie P5 level long term, not a way to get in to a P5. ACC casual alliance as a P5 Equivalent ( Ph’s favorite word ) . is much quicker and realistic than hanging out waiting for an invite behind other schools “ hoping “ to get an invite. Even IF the goal is to get an invite - much quicker to establish as a P5 level caliber team and implant in the minds of media that we are more P5 than G5 level. I think that takes at least 6 P5 games a year. Maybe it is only 4 -and we can argue but I firmly believe it is 6 or more.
ballcoach15 wrote: December 5th, 2020, 11:11 pm As for academics, the majority of AAC schools are not "relatives" of the Ivy League. Navy has high academics, but I would like to think LU is just as good as the others.

AAC might as well but the MAC in terms of being taking seriously by P5 world. No need to try and get in the best club in the small pond if you can just maneuver right around it...LU has the $ to do just that, just have to take the leap. Otherwise we are at best # 8 in line “ hoping”
I’d actually love us going the BYU route. That’s the best case scenario for us outside joining a P5 in terms of football only. I’d love to have BYU’s schedule this year (pre-Covid).

Utah
Michigan St
Arizona St
Minnesota
Utah St
Mizzou
Houston
Northern Illinois
Boise
San Diego st
North Alabama
Stanford

It’s P5 heavy and some respectable G5 sprinkled in and an FCS thrown in. I’d be ecstatic for a schedule like that every year.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
That scheduling hinges on a conference actually willing to let us count as a P5 game for their members, aka, calling us equal to them. I just so t see it happening as easily as Tyndal, and due in large part to politics. We cannot make it happen, we are at the mercy of the P5 conferences.
PAmedic liked this
JK37 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 8:25 am That scheduling hinges on a conference actually willing to let us count as a P5 game for their members, aka, calling us equal to them. I just so t see it happening as easily as Tyndal, and due in large part to politics. We cannot make it happen, we are at the mercy of the P5 conferences.
That is simply up to ACC Conference Commissioner, not Presidents and it would be ideal for 3 NC schools and 2 VA schools.
Aren't there six ACC schools in VA and NC?

All things considered, I'm confident we'll be P5 at some point. As long as we build our brand and do what we're doing, we'll become appealing if anything because we offer financial stability and a national brand reach.

It's easier and more understandable for people to be naysayers. That's easy. I'd just encourage everyone to go back to the beginning of this thread and realize how far we've come in a few short years.

With COVID, the economic fragility of major college athletics has caused everyone to reevaluate who they are and what they want in the next round off shuffling. It looks like we want to fulfill Doc's vision and we're not being shy about it all. If that's the goal, we'll be P5.
TallyW wrote: December 6th, 2020, 6:20 pm Aren't there six ACC schools in VA and NC?

All things considered, I'm confident we'll be P5 at some point. As long as we build our brand and do what we're doing, we'll become appealing if anything because we offer financial stability and a national brand reach.

It's easier and more understandable for people to be naysayers. That's easy. I'd just encourage everyone to go back to the beginning of this thread and realize how far we've come in a few short years.

With COVID, the economic fragility of major college athletics has caused everyone to reevaluate who they are and what they want in the next round off shuffling. It looks like we want to fulfill Doc's vision and we're not being shy about it all. If that's the goal, we'll be P5.
There are, however UNC typically plays South Carolina as their P5 required non conference game.
TallyW wrote: December 6th, 2020, 6:20 pm All things considered, I'm confident we'll be P5 at some point. As long as we build our brand and do what we're doing, we'll become appealing if anything because we offer financial stability and a national brand reach.
If, several years ago, after we lost to St. Francis, someone would have said that we would be ranked in 2020 and would've had College Gameday, he would've been thrown off this board for being a madman.
TallyW, Purple Haize, ballcoach15 and 2 others liked this
JK37 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 11:35 am Commissioner works for the Presidents. Think about those five schools. Do you think any of them consider us equal to them, or want to help us be?
Same as BYU and PAC 12 - taking their money and filling a need is quite different from letting them in the club. As for “casual alliance”vs ND formal alliance - it doesn’t require any of them to play us, just gives them a P5 game close by if they want to schedule it. I think we already have seen the ACC teams readily embrace playing us as a G5 with little upside for them - they have plenty of FCS and G5 games in the region they can schedule home games and 2-for 1. What tHey don’t have is a nearby P5 out of conference opponent that isn’t in the SEC. NC State, Duke, Wake,UVA, VT. BC is a natural fit/rivalry to play yearly the further schools also would do an occasional home and home if they wanted 2 P5 non con games on their schedule.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
There was HUGE upside to playing us as a G5 when they thought they could win. Now? No.

IF we are declared a P5 equivalent - and that’s a big IF - there would be upside again, sure. And only if that. And we have less control over that than you seem to think.
JK37 wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:43 am There was HUGE upside to playing us as a G5 when they thought they could win. Now? No.

IF we are declared a P5 equivalent - and that’s a big IF - there would be upside again, sure. And only if that. And we have less control over that than you seem to think.
Heathen! Name It And Claim It.
Once LU start winning games against P5 schools...the opportunities to play them will decrease substantially. At this point in the game you only schedule Liberty because you think it’s a W if you are them.
Purple Haize wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:49 am
JK37 wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:43 am There was HUGE upside to playing us as a G5 when they thought they could win. Now? No.

Heathen! Name It And Claim It.
Once LU start winning games against P5 schools...the opportunities to play them will decrease substantially. At this point in the game you only schedule Liberty because you think it’s a W if you are them.
Agreed - I have said that multiple times. A G5 loss is viewed as terrible for P5 clubs. All the more reason to shun any uttering of G5 status and go play 7 road games a bunch of 1 offs sooner rather than later, until the media starts saying how LU is more of a P5 than a G5. Will probably take 5 years. Key is to budget, staff, market as a P5 and turn Ian lose. It might very well be another conference that is first to designate LU as a P5 equivalent, but it really makes sense for ACC.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]