Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

tyndal23 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:06 am The only teams we should have regularity with the next decade are Independents. coastal is already built in. All else should be nationwide P5 teams or top tier G5- NO FCS - pay ODU to come play us every year or so at home to replace FCS team ( they need the $ ). Worrying about creating G5 rivalries is a loser. Use our $ to do what no one else at G5 can do via scheduling. A Purple Haize world tour annually with new cities and venues...much more fun.
I already solved your P5 equivalent issue 8) . Others basically reiterate what was discussed but the plan should work from 2026 until we get an invite for a power 5 (if it miraculously happen). 3-4 P5, 3-4 AAC if we make a deal with AAC while remaining independent in football, then games with BYU, Army, UConn and another G5 school. Makes all of us happy, thankful and satisfied. Keep Freeze for his present contract and even another extention (if he'sreally get comfortable and his other special options are chaotic like UT@K) and that can happen.
cruzan_flame13 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:29 am
tyndal23 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:06 am The only teams we should have regularity with the next decade are Independents. coastal is already built in. All else should be nationwide P5 teams or top tier G5- NO FCS - pay ODU to come play us every year or so at home to replace FCS team ( they need the $ ). Worrying about creating G5 rivalries is a loser. Use our $ to do what no one else at G5 can do via scheduling. A Purple Haize world tour annually with new cities and venues...much more fun.
I already solved your P5 equivalent issue 8) . Others basically reiterate what was discussed but the plan should work from 2026 until we get an invite for a power 5 (if it miraculously happen). 3-4 P5, 3-4 AAC if we make a deal with AAC while remaining independent in football, then games with BYU, Army, UConn and another G5 school. Makes all of us happy, thankful and satisfied. Keep Freeze for his present contract and even another extention (if he'sreally get comfortable and his other special options are chaotic like UT@K) and that can happen.
Maybe, but I think for the perception to be “LU is more P5 than G5” for recruits and pundits, is to actually play more P5 games than G5 and for at least 5 years with public knowledge of a P5 budget. I don’t see the upside for AAC to “ align itself” in an informal alliance with LU when they are trying to be considered the 6th Power Conference in the near term ( never going to happen ) I still think 3-4 P5 games a year is straddling the fence and getting G5 roster trying to beat P5 rosters - if we go all out in 2027 with 6 true P5 and BYU + Arny and build from there - we obliterate any G5 recruiting. Even if 1 G5 is allowed in an expanded playoff, I would still choose the Independent P5 route over AAC. ( because any G5 roster still won’t win 2 games in a playoff )
sstaedtler liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I think BYU and Virginian Tech would be optimal rivals, for two entirely different reasons.

VT is the top team in the state, we'd be the private school gunning for their spot. We just beat them, so there's a start to it, and I think a real dislike could easily develop. It also sets our target higher than a lowly ODU. I know Va tech has other rivals, but teams can have more than one.

BYU should be branded the friendliest rivalry in sports, as someone else on here pointed out. It's great for national exposure and as much as we are different we are very similar. It also is perfect for scheduling as we're both independent. It could become a rivalry that nationally is watched and understood with proper marketing.

Both teams help our national brand and give us a target higher than typical G5s. I'm not saying we should schedule all P5 games but I don't think we should try to group ourselves with them in a rivalry, it's not the best for the brand. I know many will say this is wishful, but these are my thoughts.
The Notre Dame vs. USC rivalry going back to 1926 is interesting. Here is a Wiki entry with history and origins...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dam ... ll_rivalry

I think Liberty vs. BYU should absolutely be an annual thing. There really is no down side. It's all positive.
Looks like the 2026 season would be a good opportunity for Liberty and BYU to begin making it an annual thing. There are four dates on the calendar in which both schools have "Open" dates.

2026 Liberty Schedule
Sep 3/4/5 - @ Wake Forest
Sep 12 - Open
Sep 19 - Open
Sep 26 - Duke
Oct 03 - @ MTSU
Oct 10 - Georgia Southern
Oct 17 - Open
Oct 24 - Open
Oct 31 - JMU
Nov 07 - @ UMass
Nov 14 - Open
Nov 21 - Open
Nov 28 - Army

2026 BYU Schedule
09/05 - at Troy
09/12 - Arizona
09/19 - at Utah
09/26 - at Virginia Tech
10/3 - Open
10/10 - Open
10/17 - Open
10/24 - Open
10/31 - Open
11/07 - Boise State
11/14 - Open
11/21 - Open
11/28 - at Stanford
sstaedtler liked this
For those saying schedule a lot of AAC teams, a lot of those teams have their schedules mostly filled even in 2025 and 2026. The two that are the most open are UCF and SMU. Some other teams that have relatively open schedules in 2025 and 2026: TCU, Baylor, Pittsburgh, Tennessee.
sstaedtler wrote: December 31st, 2020, 11:08 am For those saying schedule a lot of AAC teams, a lot of those teams have their schedules mostly filled even in 2025 and 2026. The two that are the most open are UCF and SMU. Some other teams that have relatively open schedules in 2025 and 2026: TCU, Baylor, Pittsburgh, Tennessee.
Getting Tennessee on the schedule for multiple games would be wonderful.
SEC and geographically desirable. Only a 4 hour 30 minute drive.
By Rubicon
I think BYU and LIberty will end up playing each other a lot after a seismic shift in the college football landscape (conference alignment) that will render schedules through 2030 moot. For a number of "woke" and religious bigotry reasons, I don't think BYU or Liberty will be welcome in any of the conferences that emerge in the top tier.

When are the conference contracts up again? 2024, right?

I hope neither school caves on important things to curry favor. Talk about selling your birthright for a mess of pottage!
sstaedtler, LUOrange, TH Spangler and 1 others liked this
alabama24 wrote: February 13th, 2021, 11:38 am “ Riley wants a game where he can play a maximum number of kids. That keeps the backups engaged and takes advantage of recently relaxed redshirt rules.”

In other words, he wants an easy win. He needs it.
As does every SEC team. The 2nd tier game is where LU would come in for most FBS schools. Interesting they even consider revenue costs of FCS and 2nd tier games ( of a few hundred thousand difference ) in to the equation when dealing with such large budgets. No, I don’t want to schedule OU anytime soon, but we will be a considered a certain tier for every P5 team. It is more complicated than “ez win” for all non con games, just like article states. Kansas State about the only school in Big12 under Snider (sp) who actually did schedule that way - 3 auto wins. Everyone else tries to get 1 auto win, one “should win”and one coin flip ( or so) type game and now the blue bloods are slowly moving towards 2 marquee non con games. In short, we can schedule any road game we want if we take less $ and we can get 1 for 1 with a select few P5 with paying out the right $.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Been too long, time for another Tyndal23 big boy football post as we celebrate a ND softball win, TCU baseball game in progress and top 10 club hockey game In progress after a UNC Soccer win earlier in the week and PH gets a bit more used to Power 5 opponents...Ian flies to Texas and convinces Baylor and TCU to play LU annually alternating home and away, but away games for both of them are at AT@T in Dallas and they get 75 percent of the allotted tickets. LU rents week 2 of the season annually for 10 years from Jerry Jones ( he keeps week1 for his marquee CFB game ). LU gets 2 built in P5 games against “Christian” schools in the hot bed of recruiting and 2 quasi rivals built in annually. Once the other pieces set in they can travel to Lynchburg every other year after a decade of playing us in Dallas. Even better than my BYU plan...fire away...
tyndal23 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:52 pm The last 5 minutes of this interview with Dot - finally a head coach talking P5 and specifically ACC and the WHY of it. This is a great podcast from start to finish, absolutely love her.
14-15 minutes in:

"I don't want to be a mid-major. I want to be #1[in the nation] because God is number One." Now that's fire right there 🔥🔥🔥. That should continuously be the vision and mindset. Not just say it but do it. Not saying it's not being attempted with our other programs, but those keep aiming for that. You have to play the best to eventually be the best. Kudos for pointing that out @tyndal23.
ballcoach15 wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:47 am I have never liked the term "mid-major". When that term is used, it's almost like saying you're not good enough to play at the highest level, thus you settle for the "minor league".
Fact:
The vast majority of the time, the teams referred to as "mid-major" are NOT good enough to play at the "highest level". If anything, a lot of them would more accurately be referred to as LOW major, which is a term that seems to be coming back into use again after being avoided for a while because I guess some people considered it demeaning.
ballcoach15 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]