Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Sly Fox wrote:You East Coasters and your obssessions for the boondoggles that pass themselves off as mass transit for the public. I gladly ride MARTA in the ATL when working down there. Hey, if people I don't know want to pay exhorbinantly high taxes to overpay for my commutes then who am I to stand in their way.
Hmmm...Texas kneejerk reaction or typical conservative kneejerk reaction? :wink:
Many people forget that all forms of transportation are heavily funded with taxes. Highways are revenue negative.
Not all highways are revenue negative. We have an expanding network of toll roads around us that are much more cost effective quasi-government bodies squandering tax dollars throwing imminent domain actions down as they please.

Yeah, I probably classify as both Texan and Conservative in my kneejerks. :mrgreen:

Chippy wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I have always thought rail was good getting to park, but after the game, it's hectic. I went to Georgia Dome for Chick-Fil-a Bowl one year. There was 75,000 fans there. After the game , looked as if 70,000 of them tried to get on the train heading out.
Nothing compared to getting OUT of DC after the fireworks on the mall :usa
Lynchburg Air Show
Sly Fox wrote:Not all highways are revenue negative. We have an expanding network of toll roads around us that are much more cost effective quasi-government bodies squandering tax dollars throwing imminent domain actions down as they please.

Yeah, I probably classify as both Texan and Conservative in my kneejerks. :mrgreen:

And we still waste hours sitting in traffic here in TX. You have it worse in Houston than we do in Dallas. DART was good my first month here, then I moved downtown where I can walk to work if I so please. Although when it comes to getting to DFW, we'll drive - much faster 8)
Purple Haize wrote:
Chippy wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I have always thought rail was good getting to park, but after the game, it's hectic. I went to Georgia Dome for Chick-Fil-a Bowl one year. There was 75,000 fans there. After the game , looked as if 70,000 of them tried to get on the train heading out.
Nothing compared to getting OUT of DC after the fireworks on the mall :usa
Lynchburg Air Show
Not even close considering DC has Metrorail and Lynchburg has a couple roads and a few busses. lynchburg's problem is there is no mass transit or sufficient roads. Try moving @ a million + people out of DC at the same time on a hot July night - does "cattle cars" ring a bell.
Sly Fox wrote:DART is nearly as big of a waste of taxpayer money as Metro Rail here in Houston. Both look nice rolling empty down the tracks.
Empty? HAHAHAHAHA, clearly you've never been on it during rush hour (all other times, I'll give you). It also doesn't hurt my employer offers to pay for our monthly transit passes 8)
I will be at the Georgia Tech game since it is a "home game" for me now. Officially living in Atlanta area now! It is going to make my travel for ASN much better this season. As for FBS, I don't know if LU is ever going to get an opportunity at this point. The chances look bleak at best.
"It ain't like it used to be, I can tell you that"
By R i
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:How many season tickets have we sold this year and in the past few years?
In order to get a question answered around here, sometimes you have to include the name of an overpriced super posh beer. Here let me show you....

How are season ticket sales going this year, does anyone like GetBent IPA from Parkway brewery ?
R i wrote:
LUGrad2000 wrote:How many season tickets have we sold this year and in the past few years?
In order to get a question answered around here, sometimes you have to include the name of an overpriced super posh beer. Here let me show you....

How are season ticket sales going this year, does anyone like GetBent IPA from Parkway brewery ?
I have never bought a GetBent IPA or Season Ticket soooo
I think most football articles indicate season tickets are at a record pace (take that for what its worth) but not sure youll get much in the way of hard numbers. maybe if JB did an AMA or you asked on the radio show next week...I'm not a beer drinker but what are thoughts on Sam Adams Summer Ale?
SuperJon wrote:Did you just name whatever beer you thought sounded cool in order to fit in?
Earlier he said he wouldn't drink a beer with us but would have a soda. Maybe our negative pressure got to him
Personally I prefer a good macro brew or cider. JK Scrumpies being my favorite

And still have never bought season tickets.
SuperJon wrote:Did you just name whatever beer you thought sounded cool in order to fit in?
Yeah pretty much since apparently thats the only way to get answer in this thread. I just had a huge glass of Pepsi and I'm perfectly fine with that.
BJWilliams wrote:
Yeah pretty much since apparently thats the only way to get answer in this thread. I just had a huge glass of Pepsi and I'm perfectly fine with that.
But your pancreas may not be if you keep that up.
BJWilliams wrote:
Keep that habit up and you'll be pissing stones in no time...
g-webb1994 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:From RDU, it is probably faster to drive to ATL, especially when you consider all the wait times at the airports, etc. When I was working at one of our offices in the area, I always drove. Don't have to worry about late planes, weather, security, etc. I may drive down to the game, not sure yet. There is always MARTA too if you decide to fly. They have a station in the airport and should stop at the Dome.
I go to the SECC game every year. MARTA has a stop right at the front door of the Dome when you go to the end of the platform. I never drive in that hellhole if I can help it.
easy! ATL isn't all bad lol. I do agree a flight to the airport and short marta ride gets you to the door of the dome. I moved from Cobb over to the marta run side of town and actually use it now. i do agree. driving in downtown is a nightmare most days.
SCAR wrote:I will be at the Georgia Tech game since it is a "home game" for me now. Officially living in Atlanta area now! It is going to make my travel for ASN much better this season. As for FBS, I don't know if LU is ever going to get an opportunity at this point. The chances look bleak at best.
Scar you need to DM me where you are and meet up. I'm working at tech now lol
Someone asked previously about season ticket sales. Doesn't say how many we sold, but says a record amount have been sold for the 3rd straight year.

From LU website:

"With Liberty's 2015 home opener coming this Saturday against Delaware State, the Flames Ticket Office will begin selling single game tickets beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday for the Flames' five home football games. Premium, reserved and general admission tickets will be available to purchase on a single-game basis while season tickets remain available.

The Flames' home football schedule, one of the most challenging in school history, includes games against Delaware State (Sept. 5), Montana (Sept. 19), Kennesaw State (Oct. 24), Presbyterian (Nov. 7) and Coastal Carolina (Nov. 19). The Coastal Carolina game was recently moved from Nov. 21 in order to be televised nationally on ESPNEWS on Nov. 19 at 7 p.m.

Single game ticket prices are $30 for blue premium, $25 for red reserved and $20 for general admission. Discounted $15 general admission tickets are available for youth (ages three to college), seniors (ages 60 and above), guests of Liberty students, as well as active and retired military, fire, police and EMS. Proper ID may be required at time of purchase. Children under the age of three do not require a ticket for stadium entry.

Season tickets remain available despite recently setting a school record for the amount sold for the third consecutive year. Season tickets offer the greatest value for fans planning to attend multiple home games and are the best way to show support for the football program.

Prices for season tickets include: Club Level ($225), Blue Premium ($125), Red Reserved ($100) and General Admission ($65) for the general public. Discounts are available for Liberty University faculty and staff, registered Varsity Club members (membership is free and open to former student-athletes) and recent Liberty University Alumni (graduated 2011-15).

You can contact the Flames Club at (434) 582-CLUB (2582) for assistance with your membership, reserved, premium, or club season tickets. You can also contact the Flames Ticket Office at (434) 582-SEAT (7328) or tickets@liberty.edu for assistance with your general admission season ticket order."
My 2cents worth (well perhaps 4cents…sorry for the length)

I have been leery about football independence for all the obvious reasons. But I am beginning to view the possibility of independence in a different light. And it all goes back to following Jerry Falwell’s Dream.

Jerry’s dream was for Liberty football to become the evangelical version of Notre Dame football. Yet no matter how successful our football program becomes on the field, that success alone, will NEVER allow us to control our own destiny regarding football conferences. You can simply look at Notre Dame’s football history to realize that.

In the 20’s Knute Rockne lead ND to three national championships, five undefeated seasons, and was so successful on the field that even their OL became famous (The Four Horseman). Yet, during that period, ND tried unsuccessfully to join three different conferences. The Big 10 turned them down in 1926. Obviously, lack of success on the gridiron wasn’t holding them back from conference membership. So what was holding them back? There’s can only be one answer, namely, religious bias!

Fast forward to today. ND rejects the Big 10’s invite to join the conference because they DESIRE to remain independent. Why the reversal? It’s certainly not because there is no longer religious bias in the world, nor is it because ND has suddenly become a great football team. The answer is because of the money that TV ratings represent! The Big 10 never needed ND to fill stadium seats, however, they now crave the faces ND puts in front of TV sets when they play. Conversely, ND does not desire a football conference membership because they now control their own cash cow TV network.

Liberty may eventually get into a conference. But to become the evangelical version of ND football, they will need to be a force both on the field AND in the ratings. And it is through those ratings that Jerry’s true goal is realized…a huge platform to spread the Gospel.

Liberty can start by turning one of their greatest perceived weaknesses into their biggest strength, namely online degrees! Other Universities/students may make snide remarks about Liberty’s online successes but inwardly they would love to duplicate it. Liberty needs to find ways/promotions to enfold current/past/future online students fully into the football family. Liberty needs to get them rooting for Liberty football and watching televised/online games. If that happens, Liberty can rapidly build their ratings over the next few decades.
LUDad wrote:Liberty can start by turning one of their greatest perceived weaknesses into their biggest strength, namely online degrees! Other Universities/students may make snide remarks about Liberty’s online successes but inwardly they would love to duplicate it. Liberty needs to find ways/promotions to enfold current/past/future online students fully into the football family. Liberty needs to get them rooting for Liberty football and watching televised/online games. If that happens, Liberty can rapidly build their ratings over the next few decades.
When I left LU, initiatives were already underway to make this happen. You do have to remember that turning online students, a majority of which don't have to visit campus, into eyeballs is somewhat difficult. A lot of these people already have connections to their own collegiate teams as well due to where they live or because they attended and graduated from the school they root for prior to enrolling at LU.
Humble_Opinion wrote:
LUDad wrote:Liberty can start by turning one of their greatest perceived weaknesses into their biggest strength, namely online degrees! Other Universities/students may make snide remarks about Liberty’s online successes but inwardly they would love to duplicate it. Liberty needs to find ways/promotions to enfold current/past/future online students fully into the football family. Liberty needs to get them rooting for Liberty football and watching televised/online games. If that happens, Liberty can rapidly build their ratings over the next few decades.
When I left LU, initiatives were already underway to make this happen. You do have to remember that turning online students, a majority of which don't have to visit campus, into eyeballs is somewhat difficult. A lot of these people already have connections to their own collegiate teams as well due to where they live or because they attended and graduated from the school they root for prior to enrolling at LU.
Agreed. Wouldn't be easy. But I think they will get it figured out. I never went to Liberty but root for them by association (my kids went there).
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]