Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I think as long as our football and mens basketball teams continue improving, and there's no reason why we shouldn't under Freeze and McKay, we'll be in a conference come the next round or realignment. I don't think we'll be P-5 though. Most likely, it'll be a much different looking AAC, CUSA, or even a new regional conference.
flamesfilmguy wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
flamesfilmguy wrote:are we really talking about the acc? lol
That was the same thing that was said about getting into the FBS (I know it’s been said before but easily forgotten). LU just need to continue progressing academically in research and athletics continue to get as much coverage as possible. Is it a done deal? Can’t say, but we’ve been down a similar road before. In the end, I’m satisfied with LU growing and making history in each athletic program.
HA yall are funny. Getting into FBS the way we did was not far fetched. the acc is a pipe dream. CUSA? maybe, MAC? possibly, Indy like byu and ND sure. But the thought of us being in the ACC in the next decade much less the next 5 years is insane.
LU could threaten to sue their way into the ACC. It worked for FBS 8)
Thought this was interesting. PH mentioned LU during their way to the ACC sarcastically, but the indifferences between P5’s and the NCAA might give us opportunities to search, discuss and make moves that could benefit the institution. With the tensions growing, the NCAA as we know it may possibly change drastically:

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/c ... ssion=true
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

Please let me know why it wasn’t far fetched? If so, why didn’t other schools didn’t do the same thing like NDSU? I would like to know since you’re saying this is funny. You and I have no idea what will happen in 5 years; not even tomorrow. I would like to know your perspective on the matter unless what you posted above is all you had to send.
It wasn't far fetched because we are flush with cash and facilities and it was only a matter of time before we threatened our way in with the "big boys". Schools like NDSU have ZERO motivation to move up. you wanna know why? Cause they win. They make money, and its sustainable. They are 6-0 in pay day games against FBS competition in the last 10 years. in those six games they were paid in excess of over 2 Million dollars to beat FBS opponents... ALL of which came from a P5 Conference. WHY would they ever leave?
How many teams have ever tried to buy into a P5 Conference - I am not aware of any. What is the worst that could happen if we pitched a proposal with UCF - they say no - big whoop. As for Big 12 - I think they are the most likely to dissolve or change near term - so I don’t think it would be worth the risk. I don’t want in any G5 conference - even AAC - would rather stay Indy than go G5 conference just to have a conference. Of course if we are offering a big check -there would be all kinds of clauses built in that if 2 or more teams leave or realign, no longer qualifies as a P5 etc - $ is owed back etc...
It really comes down to paying for players. If the top 30 or 40 schools break off to pay players, Liberty can step in and dominate what's left of the NCAA. If everyone's going to continue the student athlete way of life, then the Big XII or whatever happens to that conference is our best shot at going P5 assuming HCHF hasn't lost his touch and we keep him indefinitely.

I don't see it happening but that's how it could.
Purple Haize wrote:NCAA Football configurations will look entirely different in 5 years
Right which is why I said some of the G5 conferences aren't far fetched. ACC is. UCF getting into the acc is a little bit of a stretch already.
Just a legitimate question for y’all:

If in five years the ACC made this offer would y’all jump at it? ND and Liberty added, but Liberty must pay a 100 million dollar entry fee and only get 50% of the yearly conference tv money for 5 years. So essentially 200 million.
ballcoach15 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Legitimate Question. Why would the ACC want LU?
LU is located in ACC country, unlike some schools , i.e. Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Louisville
So are:
ODU
UNC- Charlotte
Appy State
Georgia St
Georgia Southern
East Carolina
UCF
FAU
Coastal Carolina

Just to name a few
Ewglenn wrote:Just a legitimate question for y’all:

If in five years the ACC made this offer would y’all jump at it? ND and Liberty added, but Liberty must pay a 100 million dollar entry fee and only get 50% of the yearly conference tv money for 5 years. So essentially 200 million.
Absolutely. Would be profitable year 10 vs Conf. USA where it would probably never recoup a $25m outlay.
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Legitimate Question. Why would the ACC want LU?
LU is located in ACC country, unlike some schools , i.e. Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Louisville
So are:
ODU
UNC- Charlotte
Appy State
Georgia St
Georgia Southern
East Carolina
UCF
FAU
Coastal Carolina

Just to name a few
IF ACC is strictly Academia first - then they will never “want” LU. AD’s and coaches might get behind it. It will take a special $ package to get us in and soften up their stance - and there is always a “magic” number in anything - whether that number makes sens on LU’s part is entirely another question. UCF is the only school that makes sense for them athletically - rest of the schools you listed are broke or offer little in Athletics. My proposal is partnering with UCF and a big check - they get UCF before another conference poaches them and gets a stronger foothold in FL - they hold their nose and cash our check and strengthen their conference numbers prior to next wave of realignment. Make the same pitch to ACC, SEC and Big 12 - we don’t have to wait 5 years to do the road show - worst case scenario it plants a seed that there is a school out there willing to pay big $ to join ( no one else takes this approach ) and we are in the convo and get some press.
tyndal23 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Legitimate Question. Why would the ACC want LU?

So are:
ODU
UNC- Charlotte
Appy State
Georgia St
Georgia Southern
East Carolina
UCF
FAU
Coastal Carolina

Just to name a few
IF ACC is strictly Academia first - then they will never “want” LU. AD’s and coaches might get behind it. It will take a special $ package to get us in and soften up their stance - and there is always a “magic” number in anything - whether that number makes sens on LU’s part is entirely another question. UCF is the only school that makes sense for them athletically - rest of the schools you listed are broke or offer little in Athletics. My proposal is partnering with UCF and a big check - they get UCF before another conference poaches them and gets a stronger foothold in FL - they hold their nose and cash our check and strengthen their conference numbers prior to next wave of realignment. Make the same pitch to ACC, SEC and Big 12 - we don’t have to wait 5 years to do the road show - worst case scenario it plants a seed that there is a school out there willing to pay big $ to join ( no one else takes this approach ) and we are in the convo and get some press.
I was responding to ballcoach’s comment
But you are right. The ACC is Academia first. Which leaves both UCF and LU out. You then list a bunch of financial hypotheticals without addressing any of the academic ones.
PH killed our ACC dreams single handed... Another move to consider is partner up with Houston and pitch the Big 12 - they have the facilities now and the $ ( Billionaire Donor ) with P5 Ambitions and Academia isn’t a big deal. Houston can pay their share - but LU and Houston could put together a package and pitch it - ( LU travel partner with WVU ) . Texas holds all the juice in that conference however and any move by them would probably blow up the Big 12. OU Texas have wanted to freeze out Houston due to wanting to keep that area for recruiting but learned a hard lesson letting TA&M go to SEC and now have to recruit against SEC - they may decide better to have Houston in the tent rather than outside peaing in it. UCF should be attractive to Big 12 from simply getting a foothold in FL but geographically it doesn’t really make sense ( but neither did WVU ). I think adding 4 teams makes the most sense for Big 12 so they can split in divisions and have an extra non con vs current structure of round robin- Memphis, LU, Houston - UCF or Cinci as the 4th team - but LU should be partnering up with 1 or more schools and lead the charge to make a pitch and offer cash.
tyndal23 wrote:PH killed our ACC dreams single handed... Another move to consider is partner up with Houston and pitch the Big 12 - they have the facilities now and the $ ( Billionaire Donor ) with P5 Ambitions and Academia isn’t a big deal. Houston can pay their share - but LU and Houston could put together a package and pitch it - ( LU travel partner with WVU ) . Texas holds all the juice in that conference however and any move by them would probably blow up the Big 12. OU Texas have wanted to freeze out Houston due to wanting to keep that area for recruiting but learned a hard lesson letting TA&M go to SEC and now have to recruit against SEC - they may decide better to have Houston in the tent rather than outside peaing in it. UCF should be attractive to Big 12 from simply getting a foothold in FL but geographically it doesn’t really make sense ( but neither did WVU ). I think adding 4 teams makes the most sense for Big 12 so they can split in divisions and have an extra non con vs current structure of round robin- Memphis, LU, Houston - UCF or Cinci as the 4th team - but LU should be partnering up with 1 or more schools and lead the charge to make a pitch and offer cash.

I can see these Big 12 schools moving to the New giant SEC and maybe some to the PAC 12 leaving Texas with their TV. ND ACC.
I really don't think the Big 12 will sutvive the next few years. But then again I can't even predict what my wife will do in the next hour.

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]