Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

tyndal23 wrote:PH killed our ACC dreams single handed...
So my new name could be “Dream Slayer” :D
IMO you are looking at things short sightedly. Instead you need to think what the NCAA Football landscape will look like in 5 years and where LU will fit into it
Those rankings are proof that Louisville doesn't belong in ACC. Big gap between Louisville and the closest school to them. Since joining ACC, Louisville has dropped 6 spots. Rogue school in all facets of academics and athletics.
Purple Haize wrote:
IMO you are looking at things short sightedly. Instead you need to think what the NCAA Football landscape will look like in 5 years and where LU will fit into it

Absolutely! If we look at the top 36 FBS programs moving MINUS the academics, the ACC is probably left in tact save for Miami or Florida State wanting to play ball with the big dogs. If that's the case the ACC is the new top dog conference. Most of the Pac 12 stays. The AAC gains NCAA credibility and Liberty and the other independents are in a strong position to make conference moves or start their own. A faith based conference with BYU, Notre Dame(I don't think they move to pay players) Liberty, Wake Forest, TCU, Duke, SMU, Baylor, TCU, and Vanderbilt.

I halfway kid about that conference. But most of those schools have a seminary and are relatively committed to football.

I think the Pac 12, ACC, and AAC, would rise quickly with another conference forming with them. The player quality would drop through the floor. Every 4 and 5* recruit follows the money. Most 3* as well. The NCAA would also be limited by the now higher average academic quality of the schools.

That is if amateurism ends.
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Absolutely! If we look at the top 36 FBS programs moving MINUS the academics, the ACC is probably left in tact save for Miami or Florida State wanting to play ball with the big dogs. If that's the case the ACC is the new top dog conference. Most of the Pac 12 stays. The AAC gains NCAA credibility and Liberty and the other independents are in a strong position to make conference moves or start their own. A faith based conference with BYU, Notre Dame(I don't think they move to pay players) Liberty, Wake Forest, TCU, Duke, SMU, Baylor, TCU, and Vanderbilt.

I halfway kid about that conference. But most of those schools have a seminary and are relatively committed to football.

I think the Pac 12, ACC, and AAC, would rise quickly with another conference forming with them. The player quality would drop through the floor. Every 4 and 5* recruit follows the money. Most 3* as well. The NCAA would also be limited by the now higher average academic quality of the schools.

That is if amateurism ends.
That would be an interesting conference lol
Purple Haize wrote:
PH - I agree landscape could change dramatically but I think teams that are in P5 Conferences BEFORE any sweeping changes will have some built in protection against any squeeze play. If a big group breaks away from NCAA and wants to do a pay for play - LU could be 1 of only a few schools outside of P5 that could afford and get invited to join - but I think being established as a P5 prior would dramatically increase chances of invite. The Revenue streams of that group would dwarf all other NCAA league and make G5 level even more irrelevant. IF it is simply swinging to 4 large Power Conferences - then for sure better to try and make a move early - ( I don’t really think bigger is better in terms of where AD’s view of things simply due to watering down revenue share ). Big 12 makes sense to add 2-4 teams just to get away from round robin schedule and add an additional non con game - but if staying in NCAA how does going to 16-20 team conference really benefit the other conferences ?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LU just as rogue and academically deficient as UL?

Whoever said the Big 12 should add all those schools. No way. Splits money too much with too little adds return. Everybody in current Bog 12 loses.
thepostman wrote:As far as academic ratings Lousiville is far ahead of LU. As far as the ethics of their athletic dept that is a different story.
Of course not ;since they are accredited with his academic research. LU is not at that stage, but it doesn't have to take as long like the UL or any of the P5's had to do back then. Clearly LU is heading in that direction with building the schools in their major fields and hiring experience deans,etc.
They used to be 12 with 2 divsisons and now they are 10 and play a round robin and have to beat a team twice to win Conference. Plus they get additional home non con game - currently only play 3 non con and WVU has no travel partner and they are the smallest conference in P5 ( by number of teams ).
thepostman wrote:As far as academic ratings Lousiville is far ahead of LU. As far as the ethics of their athletic dept that is a different story.
You wonder why people think conservative Christians are stupid? We should be just as concerned...or more concerned about developing intellectual acumen, yet sports seems to be the only thing that matters. The fact that so many are comfortable with it is a problem.
rogers3 wrote:
You wonder why people think conservative Christians are stupid? We should be just as concerned...or more concerned about developing intellectual acumen, yet sports seems to be the only thing that matters. The fact that so many are comfortable with it is a problem.
Huh? Did what I say indicate otherwise? :dontgetit
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Of course not ;since they are accredited with his academic research. LU is not at that stage, but it doesn't have to take as long like the UL or any of the P5's had to do back then. Clearly LU is heading in that direction with building the schools in their major fields and hiring experience deans,etc.
I recall waaaaaay back when in Okie land in order to graduate with my bachelors it was a requirement to be published.
It was tough but in the end very rewarding.
I can't imagine beginning to start small things like this in place takes more than one directive .... okay, maybe 50 useless meetings and a few meaningful when it all comes together five years later.
thepostman wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
Huh? Did what I say indicate otherwise? :dontgetit
No...I quoted because you are right. My comments are in relation to the larger argument that our money should be able to buy us into a conference, that or a lawsuit.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Whether right, wrong or indifferent, when the majority of America thinks of a school, it's the football team that comes to mind, first.

There are a very few exceptions, mainly Ivy League schools.
So what you’re saying is, Louisville is justified in having lower academics and elite athletics? :dontgetit gotcha
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:They used to be 12 with 2 divsisons and now they are 10 and play a round robin and have to beat a team twice to win Conference. Plus they get additional home non con game - currently only play 3 non con and WVU has no travel partner and they are the smallest conference in P5 ( by number of teams ).
I’m not arguing about what they used to be. When they were at 12 they had Texas A&M, Nebraska and Colorado. There isn’t a single possibility you’ve proposed that involves adding schools of that caliber.

You’re really making history and scheduling your strongest cases for the Big 12 to add members? With no regard for financial impact? C’mon, I know we’ve disagreed at times, but even I know you’re smarter than that.

If the Big 12 can’t add one or more members who each promise to generate greater revenue than the single share each current member annually receives, than there is no financial incentive to add new members. It’s exactly why the Big 2 has announced - twice publicly within the past year - that they have studied the idea of expansion and chosen unanimously to pass at this time.

As PH has stated, there’s no telling how the landscape will appear in five years. But not now.
Some people around here throw the school's money around like we can do whatever we want to with it. Or that we should invest our endowment in football.

I'll say it plainly that I hope we never go to some of these lengths to buy our way into anything athletically. Our school is about so much more than athletics.
Well we tried to buy into a G5 so that dignity ship has already sailed. If you think investing to get in to a P5 is “throwing money around” compared to being on the outside then you need to do a little research on G5 level payouts. Get a calculator or run a spreadsheet over 20 years even at current per team payouts...
Danner Allen

According to my sources, that is true. I've seen[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]