Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

LU should be looking at 2 options.
It looks like if schools go to conferenxmce games only, the ND is playing with the ACC.

If the independents band together, we could do home and homes with Umass, NM State, Uconn, BYU, and Army.

That would be 10 games. Could start like the 3rd week of September.

If any of those teams can't play...or teams only do one game with each other...technically Robert Morris and Presbyterian are FCS independents this year because they are transitioning conferences, so might be able to technically schedule them if the FCS conferneces also go to "conference only".

I still like the move LU made but do see the benefits to something like cusa. Or even cusa football only if the asun lets us stick around.
If the NCAA goes with a conference-only football schedule, wouldn't that be a major form of discrimination against the independents??? :dontgetit
A number of universities are having budget issues right now...Wonder if the teams in the AAC would be interested in a nice paycheck in turn for a conference invite? They even have an opening right now with UConn going to Big East.
Risewithus liked this
LUDad wrote: July 24th, 2020, 7:29 pm A number of universities are having budget issues right now...Wonder if the teams in the AAC would be interested in a nice paycheck in turn for a conference invite? They even have an opening right now with UConn going to Big East.
We wouldn't even have the majority presidents at those universities vote us in for political and academic reasons(claiming LU pursue psuedo-academics) plus the fact that we're still newbies in FBS. I want to see how schools will react if fall season are canceled. Will they place their ego to the side or keep doing what they're doing hoping to survive the financial drought.
Split this discussion into another topic which you can engage with here.

The future of our independent status is certainty one that may be changing quicker than expected with current economics of many schools so this thread may become even more relevant as we move forward.
ballcoach15 liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 11:59 am Stay independent in football and join SEC for all other sports, but play 5 football games vs. SEC schools.

My friends in South Bend, IN say this works.
We are not the caliber as they are, but its not impossible to exceed if our current circumstances continues longer and schools may not be able to afford funding major departments and programs. Don't hold your breathe but also take the idea into consideration.
thepostman wrote: July 29th, 2020, 12:54 pm SEC or bust! I always joke about that but apparantly there are a few that think that is a real possibility.

I don't know what our future will hold but it should be an interesting couple of years.
I just want to point out the possibility that it can happen. The percentage is still low but we see schools all over having financial issues that will become worst if the season does not happen at all. It's not a joke considering the fact that this same situation hurt malny schools 100 years ago that was the known schools playing the early stages of football. Does Stetson or Uni. of Tampa ring a bell? It's not funny when it has already happened while other schools came up and became dominant in the sport. So like I said, don't hold your breath but still take it in consideration :D

P.S. this reply was not a defensive reply to post's message lol
thepostman liked this
So a SEC school is going to go under if they lose a year of sports ? - pretty much all the more reason For them to fight tooth and nail to hang on as an SEC member and NOT share the wealth of TV dollars by expanding. I think individual school financial hardships will simply widen the gap between P5 and G5 and eliminate any more P5 expansion. G5 conferences are a different story - they don’t make enough TV $ to even fund their athletic budget and will get poorer not richer. LU independent P5 level football and it doesn’t really matter where the rest of the teams play from a $ point of view.
Its all about eyeballs in front of the tv or device. ND had best FB team in the country and could not get to first base with getting into B10 conference. Fast forward to televising revenue and ND can now write their ticket anywhere the wanted to place their program. Once LU can bring the audience, they too, can write there own ticket (though the presidents would hold their noses while voting them in).
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
Can LU Ever bring a big enough TV audience with a G5 level Indie schedule Even with 10 years of 10 win seasons ? Again I say no. TV audience will come if and when we play ND level schedules with P5 level players - not before. As for Big 10 not letting ND in somewhere in the distant past - pretty sure ND football and tv eyeballs weren’t in the equation - they were a bigger brand back then than they are now.
tyndal23 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 6:07 pm Can LU Ever bring a big enough TV audience with a G5 level Indie schedule Even with 10 years of 10 win seasons ? Again I say no. TV audience will come if and when we play ND level schedules with P5 level players - not before. As for Big 10 not letting ND in somewhere in the distant past - pretty sure ND football and tv eyeballs weren’t in the equation - they were a bigger brand back then than they are now.
ND didn't get national attention playing JV teams! Sixteen players were on their squad when they beat the magnificent Army squad dag nab-bit!! :lol:
tyndal23 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 6:07 pm Can LU Ever bring a big enough TV audience with a G5 level Indie schedule Even with 10 years of 10 win seasons ? Again I say no. TV audience will come if and when we play ND level schedules with P5 level players - not before. As for Big 10 not letting ND in somewhere in the distant past - pretty sure ND football and tv eyeballs weren’t in the equation - they were a bigger brand back then than they are now.
Technically you’re not wrong. But those people won’t be coming to see LU. They will be coming to see LU’s opponents
Purple Haize wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:01 pm
Technically you’re not wrong. But those people won’t be coming to see LU. They will be coming to see LU’s opponents
Bingo - but the cash still spends.
The problem is that ND corners the Catholic market. Catholics that when to different school will also follow ND. LU will not be able to do that with protestants.
LUDad wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:21 pm
The problem is that ND corners the Catholic market. Catholics that when to different school will also follow ND. LU will not be able to do that with protestants.
I don’t care about cornering the market with Protestants - I want to corner the market with conservative recruits nationally whose parents don’t want them going to re-education camps and who want to play P5 level ball vs P5 level teams 3-5 of whom play at LU every year and who bring eyeballs which in turn bring big tv contracts that we don’t share with 10-14 other schools. Getting an invite from a conference in football isn’t on my agenda. Getting the ACC to informally schedule us and count us as a Power 5 game for their members is on my agenda and 100 times a more realistic goal.
tyndal23 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:34 pm
I don’t care about cornering the market with Protestants - I want to corner the market with conservative recruits nationally whose parents don’t want them going to re-education camps and who want to play P5 level ball vs P5 level teams 3-5 of whom play at LU every year and who bring eyeballs which in turn bring big tv contracts that we don’t share with 10-14 other schools. Getting an invite from a conference in football isn’t on my agenda. Getting the ACC to informally schedule us and count us as a Power 5 game for their members is on my agenda and 100 times a more realistic goal.
This is a long term vision —I think people were looking at it as a short term goal. For one, we are heading in that direction were politics is showing their true colours; The left showing it more and hoping to succeed at all costs. Name brands is where it's at, even when those schools are brainwashed facilities. We are still a Christian school, so it will not simple to reach that goal when Jesus is not favored in our society. Christian kids want the name brand and immediate benefits; not much kids would like to take an opportunity and establish a legendary status that's not a blue blood or "grandfather" university. I will say that it's not impossible if money becomes very tight and presidents/commissioners become desperate if matters get worse.
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:52 pm
tyndal23 wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:34 pm

This is a long term vision —I think people were looking at it as a short term goal. For one, we are heading in that direction were politics is showing their true colours; The left showing it more and hoping to succeed at all costs. Name brands is where it's at, even when those schools are brainwashed facilities. We are still a Christian school, so it will not simple to reach that goal when Jesus is not favored in our society. Christian kids want the name brand and immediate benefits; not much kids would like to take an opportunity and establish a legendary status that's not a blue blood or "grandfather" university. I will say that it's not impossible if money becomes very tight and presidents/commissioners become desperate if matters get worse.
I was responding to people talking about LU to SEC / ACC due to colleges going broke - that is ridiculous.

As for players only wanting to go to Blue Bloods - take a peek at UNC recruiting class. Things happen real quick now. Baylor had 1 coach and 1 player pull them from dead last to top 5 within 3 years.

( btw it has been more than 30 days so here is the monthly message ) What is also ridiculous is thinking going into a G 5 conference is a win for Liberty ( in football ) and a critical step for us before ever reaching the long term goal of being a ND. It is nothing more than wasting time. We have the exact things now that we would have 25 years from now playing in a G5 conference and would be no closer to ND than we are today. If JR wants to keep talking about it - then lay out the plan and go for it OR stop talking about it and let’s pray that G5 gets their own playoff and ends the idiotic low tier bowl stuff and isn’t the ONLY NCAA grouping In any sport at any level that has no chance to play for or win a NC. If that happens, sign me up for the Sunbelt baby.
The P5 schools will be fine in the long run. Heck, all of FBS's schedules ere thrown out of whack because the P5's are trying to keep as much of the TV and gate money as possible. There's no other explanation of going from a regular 12 games to a conference only +1 rivalry/in state game only 10 or 11 game schedule. So I don't see us ending up in the ACC or SEC, we're simply not there yet. Especially, with our other sports in the ASUN. I do see a much better possibility of the AAC or a new regional G5 conference. I wouldn't turn down either. With the AAC, we'd definitely have to go all in. With a new regional G5. we could toy with a ND style agreement, but we're still better off joining for the sake of our other sports. Many of you may disagree, but I don't think long term success of our other sports is sustainable in the ASUN, especially MBB. We need out of the ASUN sooner than later.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]