Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

JK37 wrote:Lang, I love you. But logic and reason don’t exist within BallC’s dream world.
I recall posting about playing SEC schools when it was announced that we were going FBS. I was almost run out of town. We played Auburn our first year,

Dr. Falwell said to dream big.
flamesfilmguy wrote:I hate to be a debbie downer here but The best we are going to do in the short term scheduling (the next 5-10 years) is what we are currently doing. Regional P5 teams. with maybe one outlier a year. and fill in with G5 and FCS. As much as everyone wants to think we are BYU an can schedule all but 1 or 2 p5 a year, we aren't and we won't. We don't have the history and we aren't established as a top end independent. I hate to bring reality into this convo but when P5's schedule us they look at it as the same as scheduling Umass. Thats not a knock on how we are playing its just that we are new, somewhat unknown and we haven't proven that we can "Hang with the big boys yet". Knocking off a cuse team that is starting to garner national attention would be a good start. but right now we are that school that beat baylor in a terrible season for them as an FCS school. No one west of the Mississippi is going to come to Lynchburg for anything less than a 2-1 and thats not even guaranteed because its a hassle to travel there. Keep getting those 2 for 1's with the local ACC's and reach for an SEC every once and awhile. Meanwhile focus on getting high end G5's like UCF, Houston, ETC. to the burg on 1 for 1's and work your way up from there. There is no shame in how we are scheduling right now.
I second that motion
Really the only one with that pie in the sky logic as far as scheduling is concerned is tyndal FFG. Most everyone else is much more levelheaded about it.
Sly Fox wrote:For the record, I'd love to see you join the hoops discussion. You leave and we finally have a team to get really excited about. Coincidence?
I've been keeping up ... Haven't watched a lot on TV because I watch a lot of Caps (ugh, right now at least), VT and VCU. Will try to make a point to catch the Lipscomb games for sure.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I hate to admit it but a couple of months ago I couldn't say this was a fun team to watch coming out of last season. But the offensive improvements this season have truly made it a blast. I get that VCU is your local team these days but this Flames squad is on par with the Rams at least according to the NET rankings.
Sly Fox wrote:I hate to admit it but a couple of months ago I couldn't say this was a fun team to watch coming out of last season. But the offensive improvements this season have truly made it a blast. I get that VCU is your local team these days but this Flames squad is on par with the Rams at least according to the NET rankings.
It's mostly because I have a group of friends who are huge Rams fans, so we end up watching games together and catching the occasional game at Siegel Center. I have no doubt this Liberty team is very good. Took a little time for Ritchie to get the offensive talent he needed to mesh with the defensive system, but it's coming along great now.
Chris Lang wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:For the record, I'd love to see you join the hoops discussion. You leave and we finally have a team to get really excited about. Coincidence?
I've been keeping up ... Haven't watched a lot on TV because I watch a lot of Caps (ugh, right now at least), VT and VCU. Will try to make a point to catch the Lipscomb games for sure.
Yet you invite him for Lipscomb??? Sure loss!
CollegeFootballTalk doesn't list Liberty among the FBS independents, and I've asked them about the omission. They said they would forward my concerns to the department that handles them. So far, no change:

Army Black Knights
BYU Cougars
New Mexico State Aggies
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
UMass Minutemen
ACC 2022 - If LU softball makes a CWS, LU Baseball a CWS, Hoops round of 32, LU Football makes a couple of bowls and upset a couple of ACC schools - and our Research schools are up and running - would that be enough for a scenario where LU partners with UCF and makes a 2 team bid for ACC with a hefty cash “buy in”. LU provides the $ and UCF the Football. ( just spitballing - 25 million up front, plus 5 mil a year for 5 years and LU doesn’t take rev split for 5 years ( UCF does ). LU and UCF get what they want - ACC adds to its portfolio plus gains some short term financial benefit, a solid Football Program ( plus UCF other sports ) in a natural and very good market of Orlando ( plus LU ).
No I don't think so. If we maintain that level for several years, probably 5 minimum, the ACC schools would probably then start to take notice. Another 5 years and maybe, if circumstances warrant it, we have a chance. That's if there's not a huge upheaval in the conference alignment on the meantime. With upheaval, maybe sooner but I wouldn't bet on it.
IF LU wins the NCAA Men’s basketball title. And IF LU Women win the NCAA Basketball Tournament. And IF the softball and baseball teams win their Respective World Series followed by Soccer and Volleyball winning a National Championship a piece and T and F get a few Olympians. That means IF football wins a Bowl Agamemnon or two LU will have its choice of Conferences
What is the minimum LU needs to do in addition to cash - no way we get invited anywhere without buying in simply because of being evangelical. Softball is closest, hoops and baseball are getting respect. 2022 is specific BEFORE all the realignment happens so we aren’t frozen out another decade or two. If we offered 25 million and were spurned by conf USA - what is the # JR would shove in for ACC and what is the magic # / formula they would accept. I think UCF partner approach is needed - cash alone won’t do it. Each ACC team took home 25 million 2017.
flamesfilmguy wrote:are we really talking about the acc? lol
That was the same thing that was said about getting into the FBS (I know it’s been said before but easily forgotten). LU just need to continue progressing academically in research and athletics continue to get as much coverage as possible. Is it a done deal? Can’t say, but we’ve been down a similar road before. In the end, I’m satisfied with LU growing and making history in each athletic program.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
That was the same thing that was said about getting into the FBS (I know it’s been said before but easily forgotten). LU just need to continue progressing academically in research and athletics continue to get as much coverage as possible. Is it a done deal? Can’t say, but we’ve been down a similar road before. In the end, I’m satisfied with LU growing and making history in each athletic program.
HA yall are funny. Getting into FBS the way we did was not far fetched. the acc is a pipe dream. CUSA? maybe, MAC? possibly, Indy like byu and ND sure. But the thought of us being in the ACC in the next decade much less the next 5 years is insane.
flamesfilmguy wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
HA yall are funny. Getting into FBS the way we did was not far fetched. the acc is a pipe dream. CUSA? maybe, MAC? possibly, Indy like byu and ND sure. But the thought of us being in the ACC in the next decade much less the next 5 years is insane.

Please let me know why it wasn’t far fetched? If so, why didn’t other schools didn’t do the same thing like NDSU? I would like to know since you’re saying this is funny. You and I have no idea what will happen in 5 years; not even tomorrow. I would like to know your perspective on the matter unless what you posted above is all you had to send.
Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]