Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 15th, 2019, 4:05 pm I'm starting to look more into the value of Tyndal's idea of playing as much P5's as possible especially regionally. Not saying it will happen or would be easy, but it will help in many ways (some already stated). We've heard of better recruiting opportunities, support from donors, alumnus, students and possibly more local attendees to games. I will like to mention that this action can help put focus on academia as well. I would hope being P5 equivalent would also be illustrated in academia as well (or if we are asked to join a better conference). We need to definitely put money into academics and grow our graduate classification. This is the only way to get respect from the institutions on the P5 and upper G5 levels.
I think our relationship with local ACC schools (UVA, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, North Carolina, NC State etc.) is a big step towards becoming a bridge between the P5 and Go5. I appreciate how McCaw has scheduled many of these teams already. If we could have 3-4 of these type of schools on our schedule annulally, and be competitive, it could do wonders for the perception of our program. Look into how another independent, Notre Dame, already has a similar setup with the ACC.
Play only 1 FCS team a season, then just beat whoever else is on schedule. A gaudy record will carry more weight right now , rather than actual strength of schedule. Look at Big 10 teams, they play a lot of cupcakes, yet get rewarded in the polls. I saw today that Indiana is ranked 25th. What a joke.
Tyndals vision isn't lost on me, it just has some major challenges logistically.

With the uncertainty of how long we have our HC, and building recruiting classes, I'm hesitant to go all in on Tyndals full P5 slate. I do think we should play the middle ground in the mean time. Dropping one or both FCS games will help SoS, gaining bowl eligibility, and bowl selection. Sitting at 4-5 P5 games puts our SoS over every G5 program. BYU with 4 P5 games this year get more respect for their record and we are getting there.
Since the Future Football Schedule thread was getting a bit off topic, I figured we could get this going here.

Joining a conference. Two years into Indy and the ASun. I think we are strong enough to make it work. As @Jonathan Carone mentioned though, I miss keeping up with conference teams in football. Here is my major rub for football staying indy. I think we can leverage football to get into a conference that helps the other programs and not doing so will ultimately hurt the other programs.

I think the ASun being a one bid league is not acceptable for our programs past the next two years. As much as I think P5 equivalent is a better goal, I think trying to get into a weakening ACC wouldn't help those same programs that going to the AAC would benefit.
Class of 20Something wrote: November 25th, 2019, 11:37 am Since the Future Football Schedule thread was getting a bit off topic, I figured we could get this going here.

Joining a conference. Two years into Indy and the ASun. I think we are strong enough to make it work. As @Jonathan Carone mentioned though, I miss keeping up with conference teams in football. Here is my major rub for football staying indy. I think we can leverage football to get into a conference that helps the other programs and not doing so will ultimately hurt the other programs.

I think the ASun being a one bid league is not acceptable for our programs past the next two years. As much as I think P5 equivalent is a better goal, I think trying to get into a weakening ACC wouldn't help those same programs that going to the AAC would benefit.
Good points @Class of 20Something , but things could change drastically in the next two years. Nonetheless we would be considered probably for the Sun Belt even if our athletic teams continue to stride. For what reason? That is academia. That is slightly higher than athletics because it is the presidents who decide to allow or decline an invitation(they'll favor academia a little more). At this point, we have to put more into academia in the next 5 years and to be involve in the next Carnegie classification study in 2021. We will not cut it being an R3 school; R2 may help us since schools in AAC and P5's are R2/R1.
ballcoach15 wrote: November 15th, 2019, 8:53 pm Look at Big 10 teams, they play a lot of cupcakes.
Did anybody notice who Alabama played last week? A good old FCS school from the Southern Conference. Roll Tide. :brownbag
https://athlonsports.com/alabama-football-schedule
ballcoach15 wrote: November 15th, 2019, 8:53 pm Look at Big 10 teams, they play a lot of cupcakes.
Did anybody notice who Alabama played last week? A good old FCS school from the Southern Conference. Roll Tide. :brownbag
https://athlonsports.com/alabama-football-schedule
By R i
Registration Days Posts
This is the first I have heard of the academia ratings. R3 vs R2 and what not.

Sounds like something to look into. I do think Academia will be used against us, even if it is not the true reason a conference doesnt want us.
R i wrote: November 26th, 2019, 7:28 am This is the first I have heard of the academia ratings. R3 vs R2 and what not.

Sounds like something to look into. I do think Academia will be used against us, even if it is not the true reason a conference doesnt want us.
Plus we have the opportunity to grow faster than what most schools had to do. Instead of decades of growth and donations, it can take us way less to grow our academia and research. If I was LU, I would establish a school of agriculture and architecture. That would help improve research especially in the Blue Ridge area. We may not be accepted by some presidents personally, but money talks.
By Ewglenn
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 25th, 2019, 12:02 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: November 25th, 2019, 11:37 am Since the Future Football Schedule thread was getting a bit off topic, I figured we could get this going here.

Good points @Class of 20Something , but things could change drastically in the next two years. Nonetheless we would be considered probably for the Sun Belt even if our athletic teams continue to stride. For what reason? That is academia. That is slightly higher than athletics because it is the presidents who decide to allow or decline an invitation(they'll favor academia a little more). At this point, we have to put more into academia in the next 5 years and to be involve in the next Carnegie classification study in 2021. We will not cut it being an R3 school; R2 may help us since schools in AAC and P5's are R2/R1.
But we have the same accreditation’s as Harvard!!!!! (Sarcasm)
I think AAC has to be the long term goal. Power 5 is not going to happen. If BYU has never received the invite, we shouldn’t expect to. BYU will be BigXII before we go P5. I say throw $40m at the American and see what happens!
A Sea of Red wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 2:35 pm Ian McCaw says Liberty has Power 5 potential, mentions AAC as a league LU would "carefully evaluate"

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-ad-ia ... potential/
From the sound of Ian McCaw, it looks like he fully expects LU to receive a bowl invite this year. Just a matter of waiting for it to be announced it seems.
Have_a_Gansett_2011 wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 4:42 pm I think AAC has to be the long term goal. Power 5 is not going to happen. If BYU has never received the invite, we shouldn’t expect to. BYU will be BigXII before we go P5. I say throw $40m at the American and see what happens!
I'm not saying you're wrong, but we're not BYU. It would be a huge up hill battle, but it's not impossible in the long run. Yes, right now the American looks like the best option in some years though.
oldflame wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 5:18 pm
A Sea of Red wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 2:35 pm Ian McCaw says Liberty has Power 5 potential, mentions AAC as a league LU would "carefully evaluate"

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-ad-ia ... potential/
Indoor softball facility?? :dontgetit
Might be like what they're doing for the tennis courts, except with some sort of dome ceiling?
cruzan_flame13 wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 5:35 pm
Have_a_Gansett_2011 wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 4:42 pm I think AAC has to be the long term goal. Power 5 is not going to happen. If BYU has never received the invite, we shouldn’t expect to. BYU will be BigXII before we go P5. I say throw $40m at the American and see what happens!
I'm not saying you're wrong, but we're not BYU. It would be a huge up hill battle, but it's not impossible in the long run. Yes, right now the American looks like the best option in some years though.
I recognize we aren’t BYU, I’m just making the comparison based on our national perception. As we all know, perception is reality. Ticket for us is to be as good as BYU in football and better than them on average in all other sports. Then we can modify that perception. I think we are on the way. I have nothing to complain about with what McCaw said at all. What he said was perfect.
By LU 57
For what it is worth, I saw what I believe were 2 reps from the Big XII at the BYU game. One gentleman was wearing a jacket with a Big XII lapel pin and carrying a Big XII briefcase. Seems like a pretty good fit to me.

I would not rule out P5 down the road. It seems a big shakeup is in store in 2023 with several TV deals rolling off.
I'd say there are at least three schools ahead of us for AAC consideration:

Charlotte
Georgia State
Florida Atlantic

Between media market, alumni base, and future potential, those three are better than us. They also don't have the political baggage we do.

Facilities we compete in.
Budget we're there.
Media market we're lacking.
We also lead the way in extra baggage.

And before someone like ball coach comes in and points at records and success and all those things, look at how young those schools are and how young their programs are. As their alumni bases grow, it's only gonna take a couple alumni who want their team to be legit for them to take the next leap. The AAC would be banking on potential, not current results.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]