Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

jinxy wrote: December 29th, 2020, 2:18 pm Scheduling will change but it was going to change anyway. Either we were going to be a bottom feeder like umass and nmsu that people schedule for a dub or middle of the road type team that pops up and wins a game every now and then but also loses many games they shouldn't like our fcs days or what we've done this last 2 years.

There will still be good good teams looking for good games to bolster their resume. I do think it will be more difficult for p5 scheduling because they don't have much to gain.

However I think we could make a nice schedule off army byu ucf cincy Memphis Boise uab coastal Louisiana apply state etc and take the few p5 games you can get. Those teams will be hungry for ooc matches to bolster their chances at better bowls and possibly the playoffs if we ever go to 8.
I wish LU would/could do some long term deals with Army and BYU. I know we all say it but it makes sense to both parties. Far more so than “LU sHoLd Be iN tHE BiG XiI”
Army yes, BYU only if we need a game added to schedule.

We're almost to the point to where if we lose a game, it better be to a Power 5 team. Losing to any Sun Belt, Conference USA or MAC team, will not be good.
jinxy wrote: December 29th, 2020, 2:18 pm However I think we could make a nice schedule off army byu ucf cincy Memphis Boise uab coastal Louisiana apply state etc and take the few p5 games you can get. Those teams will be hungry for ooc matches to bolster their chances at better bowls and possibly the playoffs if we ever go to 8.
This is our best hope of a great schedule, and honestly, it's the most attractive to me. I'd prefer 2-4 P5, 4-5 top line G5, and 3-4 lower G5/FCS.
LUOrange liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 3:19 pm Army yes, BYU only if we need a game added to schedule.

We're almost to the point to where if we lose a game, it better be to a Power 5 team. Losing to any Sun Belt, Conference USA or MAC team, will not be good.
BYU is a great game to schedule on every account. I would ask your reasoning behind your post but I know that’s a futile effort
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 29th, 2020, 3:31 pm
jinxy wrote: December 29th, 2020, 2:18 pm However I think we could make a nice schedule off army byu ucf cincy Memphis Boise uab coastal Louisiana apply state etc and take the few p5 games you can get. Those teams will be hungry for ooc matches to bolster their chances at better bowls and possibly the playoffs if we ever go to 8.
This is our best hope of a great schedule, and honestly, it's the most attractive to me. I'd prefer 2-4 P5, 4-5 top line G5, and 3-4 lower G5/FCS.
I agree. I can see LU finding itself in a position where many P5s don't like the risk/reward. Take the P5 games you can get. Then, play the other schools the P5s are leery of . Play as many of them as you can. Play BYU as often as you can.

I'd still play UMass and UConn. They are both state-name schools that should be a win but don't look horrible on a schedule. Then throw in two more winnable G5 games.
chris leedlelee liked this
Purple Haize wrote: December 29th, 2020, 3:38 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 3:19 pm Army yes, BYU only if we need a game added to schedule.

BYU is a great game to schedule on every account. I would ask your reasoning behind your post but I know that’s a futile effort
I just do not get excited about BYU, same as I don't get excited about Appy State, ODU and others mentioned on this board from time to time. Oh, and lets not forget about Charlotte. (last year they were mentioned often on this board.)
I am more excited about playing Ole Miss next season, than i could ever be about playing BYU.
ballcoach15 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 4:07 pm
Purple Haize wrote: December 29th, 2020, 3:38 pm

I just do not get excited about BYU, same as I don't get excited about Appy State, ODU and others mentioned on this board from time to time. Oh, and lets not forget about Charlotte. (last year they were mentioned often on this board.)
I am more excited about playing Ole Miss next season, than i could ever be about playing BYU.
Yes. Ole Miss is a big game. But it’s not a practical team to schedule a long term schedule agreement. It makes no sense for either school.
BYU is a great option for an LU long term schedule and vice versa. It gives them an inroad into VA. It gives LU a National platform. It’s a natural ‘rival’. And a quality opponent for both schools.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
BYU is a great option for Liberty and here is why. Both schools but especially Liberty and other Independents, need good options late in the year. Most out of conference games are played in the first four weeks of the year. Without BYU, we end up finishing seasons with UMass, UConn, and New Mexico State. You have to give fans a game to get excited about in the last two games of the year. For BYU, I mean some years they are playing UNLV, Dixie State, Idaho State, Southern Utah, and some weaker school late. From their perspective, Liberty would be a better opponent. I am not saying BYU is more exciting than Ole Miss, but if we want to be a P5 equivalent someday I think BYU is crucial.
In case anyone wondered:

Liberty/Coastal 2.62 million viewers (up against NFL)
UCF/BYU 1.55 million viewers
Hawaii/Houston 1.90 million viewers
Memphis/FIU 1.27 million viewers
LA Tech/Ga Southern 0.92 million viewers
WKU/Georgia State 0.92 million viewers
San Jose State/Boise State 1.42 million viewers
Ball State/Buffalo .875 million viewers

The Big 12 Championship had 2.99 million viewers.
Cincy/Tulsa in the AAC championship had 1.88 million.

Great exposure for us going forward the other night.
ballcoach15, olldflame, BlueBlood and 4 others liked this
sstaedtler wrote: December 30th, 2020, 5:58 pm In case anyone wondered:

Liberty/Coastal 2.62 million viewers (up against NFL)
UCF/BYU 1.55 million viewers
Hawaii/Houston 1.90 million viewers
Memphis/FIU 1.27 million viewers
LA Tech/Ga Southern 0.92 million viewers
WKU/Georgia State 0.92 million viewers
San Jose State/Boise State 1.42 million viewers
Ball State/Buffalo .875 million viewers

The Big 12 Championship had 2.99 million viewers.
Cincy/Tulsa in the AAC championship had 1.88 million.

Great exposure for us going forward the other night.
Good stuff.
We benefited from a number of pundits who touted this as the best non-playoff matchup of all the bowl games, with a consensus that it would be a lot of fun to watch. They were not wrong on that, although many were on the result.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We need another rival. Byu would be great and fits that late season spot as staedler mentioned. Odu cant be a rival because they suck. I dont see another team we could play enough regularly that is any good that be a rival. Coastal and byu would be great to have as our primary rivals and then of course the in state teams when we do meet. But it will take a while and a lot of games for them to truly be rivals.
jinxy wrote: December 30th, 2020, 6:54 pm We need another rival. Byu would be great and fits that late season spot as staedler mentioned. Odu cant be a rival because they suck. I dont see another team we could play enough regularly that is any good that be a rival. Coastal and byu would be great to have as our primary rivals and then of course the in state teams when we do meet. But it will take a while and a lot of games for them to truly be rivals.
Although their current state at times provides a bit of guilty pleasure, I think we should all be pulling for ODU to get better, because they are a natural rival geographically, and seem to be open to playing us.
There is no need for debate - there is room for both BYU and ODU.

Both bring perks. BYU is obviously a National brand and will be tough to beat. Should draw eyes on TV.

ODU is an easy commute for both teams and for the fans and bands of both teams.
LUOrange liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:48 pm I get more excited over playing New Mexico State than I do ODU. I just cannot vision ODU as a big rival.
Every time I start to think you have even the tiniest bit of insight or common sense, you come out with something like this. :roll: :banghead
sstaedtler wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:55 pm I don't have any desire to play ODU more than once every few years. Conference USA stinks. Why help them in recruiting if we happen to lose? That said, I would take them 10 x more than playing New Mexico State.
I would agree, if they continue on their current trend. Them being a legit rival is contingent on them becoming a more consistently successful program. I believe they have some of the components to do it, including a pretty committed fan base. i can see it happening if they can find the right coach
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Im fine playing odu every year and keeping them behind the woodshed. That way we get any head to head recruit we want in the tidewater and everyone knows who the real player is.

I think of similar to vt owning uva for 15 years. Id be fine doing the same.

I think it will be fascinating to see them next year having missed a whole season and with a new staff. I imagine it wont be good.
LUOrange liked this
olldflame wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:53 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 7:48 pm I get more excited over playing New Mexico State than I do ODU. I just cannot vision ODU as a big rival.
Every time I start to think you have even the tiniest bit of insight or common sense, you come out with something like this. :roll: :banghead
This is why you should never get your hopes up. Ha

Marshall would be a nice game but brings nothing to the table rivalry wise for LU and vice versa.

BYU is obvious
ODU is also a good choice. They aren’t great on the field but geographically they fit. Both teams compete for similar area recruits. What sets it apart from a BYU rivalry is how different the schools are culturally. So that’s an added bonus.
thepostman, LUOrange liked this
The only teams we should have regularity with the next decade are Independents. coastal is already built in. All else should be nationwide P5 teams or top tier G5- NO FCS - pay ODU to come play us every year or so at home to replace FCS team ( they need the $ ). Worrying about creating G5 rivalries is a loser. Use our $ to do what no one else at G5 can do via scheduling. A Purple Haize world tour annually with new cities and venues...much more fun.
I really don't like the idea of playing a team every single season long term. Teams like BYU, CCU, ODU, Marshall, App state, UConn, and Army should be on the schedule 50-75% of the time. Sometimes taking a year or two off makes those matchups feel more important while still being frequent enough to develop rivalries or at least a little bit of animosity between the teams.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]