Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Purple Haize wrote:I believe we are about to see a Seismic shift in FBS alignment. Insofar as traditional Conferences will not have the same meaning in Football as it does now.
+1

I have seen some talk on. shifts to larger conferences .
Here is a link only to muddy this conversation
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -shuffling
Week.Zero or 1 - LU 10 year contract with new LA Stadium opening after 2020 season. Schedule 1 CA or any PAC 12 team on Thursday or Friday night and coordinate with ESPN for coverage. ( gives team extra day or 2 to fly back and recoup ). Same vein as my playing in Jerry World every year against BYU - EXPOSURE / BRANDING to national recruits ( convincing CA recruits we will be in LA 1 game a year in best facility ) As stated earlier 69 JUCO’s in CA - largest coalition of Christian HS etc. Home game essentially for any team we invite but we are getting a lot of residual out of it.
BJWilliams wrote:And he's at it again...
Ha ! I am. But hear me out. Our AD told ND we will play them anywhere anytime ( including Dublin Ireland ). If ND came back and it was announced we have a standing 10 year schedule but all games were either at ND or a site they dictated and none were at LU starting 2020 would anyone on this board be complaining? I doubt it. IF LU established 1st opening game of every year on ESPN played in LA I don’t think that would be a negative tradition for us to recruit to and build on ( same as a Dallas / BYU game wrapped in Veterans Appreciation - Silver Star awards ceremony or Purple Heart whatever ). Do we get a beat down early years or when we are reloading - yes we will BUT what is the upside ? - I think a lot. We have the $ to get 5-6 desirable home games in Lynchburg. We can have 2 FBS teams visit maybe 3 and pay the other G5 enough to not go back if we really want to elevate our program to FBS top tier next decade. Also - Would this type of scheduling keep a Hugh Freeze at LU for long haul vs 2 FBS type 2021 schedule. What do we have to gain vs what do we have to lose. Netflix vs AMC 10 years ago - which would you rather have invested in? ( ok maybe a bad analogy but you get the drift ).
You greatly over estimate LU’s National Appeal. Even the appeal of ND playing LU. Or any LA team playing LU. But you are in an awesome fantasy world and I send you Rainbow praises and Skittles salutes
I honestly don’t mind tyndal giving scenarios about the future; shows he would like the team to develop and improve(not saying no one else wants this to happen). What is it to lose to just talk about ideas, especially knowing that things will change in the next 5-7 years? Some will call it fantasy and other things, yet may I recollect that folks stated the same thing as well when the idea of FBS and a good P5 type coach coming to the mountain was brought up. Yes some admitted they were wrong, which is cool. So what’s different from Tyndal’s statement than the other topics? Not saying that what he’s saying will happen, but at least he has something to discuss during this break before the signing period in a few weeks :). Who knows what will happen in the upcoming seasons and yes things will change. Will we take advantage of this when realignment occurs or when tv deals renew? Well with McCaw being our AD and hopefully Freeze remaining as coach and succeeding, likely so.
tyndal23 wrote:I can pretty much guarantee you both LA teams would play LU and play them for $250k or less as a visiting team if the game was played in the new LA Stadium vs having to go on a true road game somewhere else.
You know Dan Guerrero and Lynn Swan personally?
Tyndal needs to suggest free tickets for our 100,000 online students.
Cider Jim wrote:Tyndal needs to suggest free tickets for our 100,000 online students.
If LU were in a Metropolitan area with a fan base that could support a 40k plus attendance ( Baylor level FBS ) or better - I wouldn’t propose going outside a regional market and would encourage 6-7 best home games possible and spending the $ on 1 for 1 games at home. Bottom line that is our 1 weakness - everything else is a strength - and a very big one. $, Christian, Conservative. 100k online students do not equate fans - I get that - going on the road and playing in magical LA and Dallas wont produce away stadium 20k or more in the seat fans - I get that - everything I am proposing is for RECRUITING/BRANDING and elevating our Brand in to P5 Conference invite, NY6 Bowl or 8 team Conference Playoff as quickly as possible. Rather than playing an MTSU or an FCS at home - give that 1 game up and go BRAND where the recruits are and start establishing a National Tradition - LA Opener, Dallas - Purple Heart Game, etc. This isn’t daydreaming of 1 day we get there - it is proactive immersion.
Purple Haize wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:I can pretty much guarantee you both LA teams would play LU and play them for $250k or less as a visiting team if the game was played in the new LA Stadium vs having to go on a true road game somewhere else.
Met Lynn, don’t know Dan, but have had a sideline pass at both USC and UCLA games and know a minority owner of the new stadium going up. None of that means jack crap, but since you asked...
tyndal23 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Met Lynn, don’t know Dan, but have had a sideline pass at both USC and UCLA games and know a minority owner of the new stadium going up. None of that means jack crap, but since you asked...
Well you said you could pretty much guarantee both teams would play LU. Since the AD’s make those decisions I was wondering what your relationship with them was
IF you could have an non con road game in your own back yard wth national tv exposure i.e. opening night of College Football that on paper is an automatic W in the newest best facility in the country with majority allotment of tickets vs. having to actually go on the road, etc. etc. etc. - what would you do Mr. AD ?
tyndal23 wrote:IF you could have an non con road game in your own back yard wth national tv exposure i.e. opening night of College Football that on paper is an automatic W in the newest best facility in the country with majority allotment of tickets vs. having to actually go on the road, etc. etc. etc. - what would you do Mr. AD ?
Play someone that would draw an audience
Why? LA Stadium would be 98% USC or UCLA fans ( it seats much less than both their home stadiums ). It is a primo home game for them with little downside - they stay at same Hotel as they do for home games - have home game advantage and earn more $ from tickets and TV rev share than they would on a true road game that has a bigger L risk...
tyndal23 wrote:You are right what was I thinking? ESPN would hate to cover USC or UCLA on LA Opener on a Thursday night 1st game kickoff of the college football season...
If they were playing LU? Yes
So we should call off the effort to have them move Syracuse game to Thursday Friday this coming year because we are LU ? Per Manson we are pushing hard for that. And that is a home game. Seriously Purple - if it were up to you we would still be D 2.
tyndal23 wrote:So we should call off the effort to have them move Syracuse game to Thursday Friday this coming year because we are LU ? Per Manson we are pushing hard for that. And that is a home game. Seriously Purple - if it were up to you we would still be D 2.
Dude, relax. Those are entirely two different scenarios
tyndal23 wrote:So we should call off the effort to have them move Syracuse game to Thursday Friday this coming year because we are LU ? Per Manson we are pushing hard for that. And that is a home game. Seriously Purple - if it were up to you we would still be D 2.
Ohhhhhhhhhh purp, he said you’ll be a terrible AD, oooooohhh snap! :lol:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Meh. He’s just upset no one thinks his ideas are viable
Purple Haize wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Meh. He’s just upset no one thinks his ideas are viable
That could be true, but there’s a little part in everyone who hopes that this would come true in a few years. We can deny it just like the talks with FBS and Gill’s time to step down from coaching. When both incidents occurred, everyone was excited that their doubts were not true :D
Ha ! Not upset at all - but if ESPN would cover LU Syracuse early in HF first year - granted Syracuse will be rated higher than USC and UCLA next year - Program wise they aren’t close - and everything has to do with Progam Perception in College Football ( unfortunately ) vs current year success. My entire premises of out of the box is relegated on Program Perception and LU scheduling/branding. If you look back to when UCF was Indy - they went and played the best - then they started beating the best and then couldn’t schedule - went to a Conference then had another dip - went 11-1 then 0-12 ( memory but close ) then went on their 2 year run. ( again I have stated many time UCF is not our model - they are largest college in nation, a major stadium and recruiting hot bed - but still they went Indy before joining a G5 conference and they should have held out for a P5 - wont be long - but I digress ) My 10 year lock in to best stadiums ( LA Opener - schedule USC and UCLA alternate years - lock in 10 years same as in Dallas with BYU ) we build a tradition of being the team always in LA Opener - say we win 3 of 10 - still MUCH BIGGER than a home opener against a crap team and we are etched in CFB memory for life. BYU hasn’t won anything since 1984 - but that 1 title give them auto ascension in to top 25 this year after losing to CAL earlier when they beat WISCONSIN ranked # 4 week 3 - who ended up being a bad team but everyone recognizes BYU as a brand. If Coastal had beaten Wisconsin week 3 with already a loss would they have jumped in top 25 ? I doubt it. My entire drive is for LU to establish itself as a P5 equivalent and best way to do that is establishing tradition - TV tradition - Recruiting Strongholds - CA, TX ( if one of you comes on here and pushes ATLANTA as a 10 year home lock - I wont argue much) but ALL we have is outside the box $ driven thinking that gets us to where we want to be - Slow road G5 mentatility won:t cut it.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Another thing to consider: what incentive does the LA stadium have to host this game of an in-town school against a nobody? Against a big name, sure! But LU wont sell enough tickets to justify using thenfscility to host the game. In another thread, you suggested giving away tickets to local HS coaches, but I’m not even sure Liberty would have the authority to do so. To say nothing of the fact that if UCLA/ISC is the “home” team, there’s incentive to deny Liberty the rights to giveaway tickets.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]