Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

BlueBlood wrote:I've seen Penn State in Philly several times. Very convenient game for a large portion of the alumni and fanbase.

Speaking of the two-for-ones, it looks like Liberty's P5 scheduling strategy at this point seems to be to schedule the close P5s in two-for-ones. Very fortunate geography that UVA, VT, Wake, UNC, NC State and Duke are all inside of 2.5 hours and likely view LU as am easy commute for the team and fans. Might even be able to get Maryland into that mix. Of course, that means you are going to have twice as many P5 road games as home games - but you have to do what you can do.
Yeah, I did not address the topic. PSU is like Auburn and such --- return games = NO.
I would have just like to see them in a sea of 100K fans.
Attend with a few friends who are die hards of the Blue and White.
In addition to those VA/Carolina teams 2 for 1 games - we need 1 for 1 games with bottom 2 teams currently in each P5 conference and yes we will have to lay out more than they do for our Home games - but it is only way the math works. Kansas, KSU, Oregon St, Arizona, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Rutgers, etc. , etc.
tyndal23 wrote:In addition to those VA/Carolina teams 2 for 1 games - we need 1 for 1 games with bottom 2 teams currently in each P5 conference and yes we will have to lay out more than they do for our Home games - but it is only way the math works. Kansas, KSU, Oregon St, Arizona, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Rutgers, etc. , etc.
Never intentionally schedule underperforming teams. They have a habit of cutting the chaff and getting better.

Kansas has Les Miles
tyndal23 wrote:In addition to those VA/Carolina teams 2 for 1 games - we need 1 for 1 games with bottom 2 teams currently in each P5 conference and yes we will have to lay out more than they do for our Home games - but it is only way the math works. Kansas, KSU, Oregon St, Arizona, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Rutgers, etc. , etc.
Now THAT is a sensible plan. Are you feeling ok? Lots of sickness going around :lol: :lol:
Purple you made fun of my plan for 6 FBS games vs 4 - something about crawling first - so to be clear my 1 for 1 with bottom teams in P5 is to get us 6 P5 per year ( just giving you an out so you can take it back that you agreed with something I said). HA! - We can’t afford not to be playing every Indy with how we have to schedule - BYU annually 1 for 1 is crucial. My playing in Dallas was to get BYU to play us every year if they are balking about flying to Lynchburg every other - and I still would rather play BYU in Dallas regardless of how few fans are there ( recruits want to play in that building and Yes we can get a game in that stadium when everyone else is playing conference games - Jerry Jones puts High School and little events in there all the time ) and rather than have 6 true home games drop the FCS game or weak G5 team and have BYU scheduled every year. Of course Ian could announce an 8 year home and home with BYU at any time - and yes I prefer them to come to Lynchburg - Dallas is only if they won’t. You did talk me out of wrapping it into a Military or Veterans Day annual gig with Army on the alternate years since I guess no one cares about that stuff - so we could play there every other year just BYU and travel to Provo for our away game years if necessary.
tyndal23 wrote:Purple you made fun of my plan for 6 FBS games vs 4 - something about crawling first - so to be clear my 1 for 1 with bottom teams in P5 is to get us 6 P5 per year ( just giving you an out so you can take it back that you agreed with something I said). HA! - We can’t afford not to be playing every Indy with how we have to schedule - BYU annually 1 for 1 is crucial. My playing in Dallas was to get BYU to play us every year if they are balking about flying to Lynchburg every other - and I still would rather play BYU in Dallas regardless of how few fans are there ( recruits want to play in that building and Yes we can get a game in that stadium when everyone else is playing conference games - Jerry Jones puts High School and little events in there all the time ) and rather than have 6 true home games drop the FCS game or weak G5 team and have BYU scheduled every year. Of course Ian could announce an 8 year home and home with BYU at any time - and yes I prefer them to come to Lynchburg - Dallas is only if they won’t. You did talk me out of wrapping it into a Military or Veterans Day annual gig with Army on the alternate years since I guess no one cares about that stuff - so we could play there every other year just BYU and travel to Provo for our away game years if necessary.
I’ve read that 5 times. I have no idea what you are trying to say. But the Dallas idea is still crazy. LU can’t even sell out a home game so yes let’s walk before we can crawl.
Purple Haize wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:Purple you made fun of my plan for 6 FBS games vs 4 - something about crawling first - so to be clear my 1 for 1 with bottom teams in P5 is to get us 6 P5 per year ( just giving you an out so you can take it back that you agreed with something I said). HA! - We can’t afford not to be playing every Indy with how we have to schedule - BYU annually 1 for 1 is crucial. My playing in Dallas was to get BYU to play us every year if they are balking about flying to Lynchburg every other - and I still would rather play BYU in Dallas regardless of how few fans are there ( recruits want to play in that building and Yes we can get a game in that stadium when everyone else is playing conference games - Jerry Jones puts High School and little events in there all the time ) and rather than have 6 true home games drop the FCS game or weak G5 team and have BYU scheduled every year. Of course Ian could announce an 8 year home and home with BYU at any time - and yes I prefer them to come to Lynchburg - Dallas is only if they won’t. You did talk me out of wrapping it into a Military or Veterans Day annual gig with Army on the alternate years since I guess no one cares about that stuff - so we could play there every other year just BYU and travel to Provo for our away game years if necessary.
I’ve read that 5 times. I have no idea what you are trying to say. But the Dallas idea is still crazy. LU can’t even sell out a home game so yes let’s walk before we can crawl.
Most of us believe or learn by what we see visually. Given that, lets say we by some large FUBAR we end up having games in LA or Dallas. I can hear the announcers now stating that there are essentially no Liberty fans in attendance. That will be more important than anything else that happens that weekend like POTUS doing opening ceremonies or hard marketing of how great we are, and so on.
By rtb72
tyndal23 wrote:So a 4 * recruit would rather play a home game in Lynchurg in Oct against a MAC team with a 1/3 empty stadium vs Dallas against BYU because we wont have many LU fans there ?
I think LU's gameday experience and all the optics and energy behind the experience itself would certainly be more attractive to a new recruit than trotting on the field in a "foreign atmosphere" with little to no fan energy driving the emotion. And maybe it's just me....but I am already seeing more enthusiasm and excitement behind the football program under Freeze than I ever did under Gill. I'm not sure the 1/3 empty stadium will be the case in October if we have success like I hope we will. I think fans are getting energized early. I just got a email from Flames Club that season tickets will be on sale February 6th. This may be the earliest I have ever seen them offer club members the opportunity to vie for seats....generally you have to wait till after Director's day. Nonetheless.....IMHO, our gameday experience and atmosphere created by the fans (students in particular), as well as the buildup to the entry on the field and all the other aspects surrounding the event.....is really pretty exciting and appealing. I would think it would be equally or more so to a high school kid.
rtb72 wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:So a 4 * recruit would rather play a home game in Lynchurg in Oct against a MAC team with a 1/3 empty stadium vs Dallas against BYU because we wont have many LU fans there ?
I think LU's gameday experience and all the optics and energy behind the experience itself would certainly be more attractive to a new recruit than trotting on the field in a "foreign atmosphere" with little to no fan energy driving the emotion. And maybe it's just me....but I am already seeing more enthusiasm and excitement behind the football program under Freeze than I ever did under Gill. I'm not sure the 1/3 empty stadium will be the case in October if we have success like I hope we will. I think fans are getting energized early. I just got a email from Flames Club that season tickets will be on sale February 6th. This may be the earliest I have ever seen them offer club members the opportunity to vie for seats....generally you have to wait till after Director's day. Nonetheless.....IMHO, our gameday experience and atmosphere created by the fans (students in particular), as well as the buildup to the entry on the field and all the other aspects surrounding the event.....is really pretty exciting and appealing. I would think it would be equally or more so to a high school kid.
+1
rtb72 wrote:
Excellent post
tyndal23 wrote:I bet if you did a survey of current roster 99 % would opt for 5 home games and 1 at AT&T STADIUM VS 6 home games.
That would be an irrelevant poll. I would have loved to play at Madison Square Garden. But it would have made no sense in an Athletic Department sense
tyndal23 wrote:I bet if you did a survey of current roster 99 % would opt for 5 home games and 1 at AT&T STADIUM VS 6 home games.
We need to move this talk into the Dream forum. Didn't you, at one point, say that you weren't going to discontinue this line of discussion?
That ranking put LU's stadium above UVa's and some SEC schools like MS State. :shock:
By LU 57
Cider Jim wrote:That ranking put LU's stadium above UVa's and some SEC schools like MS State. :shock:
Our sound system is definitely superior to UVA’s. I could barely hear the PA announcer from the LU section on the far side at Scott Stadium.
ballcoach15 wrote:We'd be better off, working out a deal with SEC or Big 12, like Notre Dame did with ACC. (5 games).
I don't think you actually understand the Notre Dame-ACC deal. Notre Dame has appeal to the ACC as an all-sports member, and the ACC -- after years of negotiating -- talked Notre Dame into a football scheduling deal as a part of that membership. Why would the SEC or Big 12, both of which have stable all-sports memberships, want to enter into that sort of deal with someone like Liberty? The SEC isn't dredging around the Atlantic Sun for potential members.
I hate to be a debbie downer here but The best we are going to do in the short term scheduling (the next 5-10 years) is what we are currently doing. Regional P5 teams. with maybe one outlier a year. and fill in with G5 and FCS. As much as everyone wants to think we are BYU an can schedule all but 1 or 2 p5 a year, we aren't and we won't. We don't have the history and we aren't established as a top end independent. I hate to bring reality into this convo but when P5's schedule us they look at it as the same as scheduling Umass. Thats not a knock on how we are playing its just that we are new, somewhat unknown and we haven't proven that we can "Hang with the big boys yet". Knocking off a cuse team that is starting to garner national attention would be a good start. but right now we are that school that beat baylor in a terrible season for them as an FCS school. No one west of the Mississippi is going to come to Lynchburg for anything less than a 2-1 and thats not even guaranteed because its a hassle to travel there. Keep getting those 2 for 1's with the local ACC's and reach for an SEC every once and awhile. Meanwhile focus on getting high end G5's like UCF, Houston, ETC. to the burg on 1 for 1's and work your way up from there. There is no shame in how we are scheduling right now.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]