Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

SBC wins the QB job before the season is over is my prediction. IMO, Masha really can't afford to be hurt because if he does and the kid SBC does anything, they are gonna go with the future ala Bledsoe and Brady.
forbidden wrote:SBC wins the QB job before the season is over is my prediction. IMO, Masha really can't afford to be hurt because if he does and the kid SBC does anything, they are gonna go with the future ala Bledsoe and Brady.
Could happen, although (at the risk of challenging BJ and ballcoach for captain obvious honors) Buckshot is going to have to earn it with clearly superior passing. Besides his 3 years experience in the system and overall physical maturity, Masha's running ability gives him a pretty big advantage. In his limited opportunities last year he averaged almost 8 yards a carry even though everyone in the stadium knew he was going to run it. I think when he is actually able to run the offense and defenses need to defend the pass, he will do some serious damage with his legs. Actually, if Calvert really steps up, I would like to see us use both, but Gill's history certainly points against that happening.
Jonathan Carone wrote:I know nothing about this kid other than that I will never call him Buckshot.
Touche. It is his real middle name, but based on his social media, it looks like he actually prefers "Buck" as a nickname. I'm sure it will sort itself out, but get used to hearing one or the other.

On a personal note Jon, I am glad you decided to resume contributing to the board in "non-super" form.
olldflame wrote:
forbidden wrote:SBC wins the QB job before the season is over is my prediction. IMO, Masha really can't afford to be hurt because if he does and the kid SBC does anything, they are gonna go with the future ala Bledsoe and Brady.
Could happen, although (at the risk of challenging BJ and ballcoach for captain obvious honors) Buckshot is going to have to earn it with clearly superior passing. Besides his 3 years experience in the system and overall physical maturity, Masha's running ability gives him a pretty big advantage. In his limited opportunities last year he averaged almost 8 yards a carry even though everyone in the stadium knew he was going to run it. I think when he is actually able to run the offense and defenses need to defend the pass, he will do some serious damage with his legs. Actually, if Calvert really steps up, I would like to see us use both, but Gill's history certainly points against that happening.
Again, even tho I will say don't quote me when I say that I don't think throwing the pill will be a problem, remember they are running a new system so they will be somewhat even there and also remember that he im sure has been given something to study before he gets here so that he wont be that "green" upon arrival. I will give Masha the physical maturity as he has been with Bill for some time now. Masha may be the better runner but again so was Bledsoe.
The two things to remember, as obvious as both may sound:
1) Calvert chose us because he expects to compete and get playing time right away. He is going to come in with both barrels blazing. That isn't to say that Masha won't of course, but Calvert will have to adjust to the college game, something that even Masha had to do when he came in.
2) We can almost universally agree that the job is Masha's going into training camp. That said, I think we also can agree that this isn't a situation like we have had the last few seasons. With the exception of 2009, over the other 9 seasons post Karcher, we have had a pretty stable situation at QB. Here are our #1 QBs over the last 10 seasons:

2006: Brock Smith
2007: Brock Smith
2008: Brock Smith
2009: Tommy Beecher
2010: Mike Brown
2011: Mike Brown
2012: Josh Woodrum
2013: Josh Woodrum
2014: Josh Woodrum
2015: Josh Woodrum

This is going to be a very exciting QB competition to watch come August
forbidden wrote:
olldflame wrote:
Again, even tho I will say don't quote me when I say that I don't think throwing the pill will be a problem, remember they are running a new system so they will be somewhat even there and also remember that he im sure has been given something to study before he gets here so that he wont be that "green" upon arrival. I will give Masha the physical maturity as he has been with Bill for some time now. Masha may be the better runner but again so was Bledsoe.

Ha! While it may be accurate, giving Bledsoe the edge over Brady in running ability is a bit like saying Joan Rivers would win a beauty contest with Phyllis Diller
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote:
LUDad wrote:Oldflame, who is Joan Rivers & Phyllis Diller?
:brownbag
Nice emo purple. Had to yank oldflames' chain with his association. He was really dating himself with that one. Having grown up myself watching Ed Sullivan, Sky King & Howdy Doody, I figured there may not be too many others on the board old enough to know what he was getting at :)
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Very impressed with his play the last 2 weeks. Saturday was his best yet. He had the one real bad interception but man we can roll the pocket and he can spin it. Next step will be to maintain that consistency week in week out. Woodrum never could so it's not guaranteed.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here's a stat for you guys: After this past Saturday, Liberty has had 5 400+ yard passing games...Buckshot has 3 of them
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Duke said some things about Buckshot in the ¨¨straw vote¨ thread, and I think it´s worth discussing. I don´t necessarily agree that he has actually regressed in any area or that he has ¨reached his ceiling¨, but I certainly have not seen him progress as I would have hoped in the last year (since the Baylor game). As unimpressed as I have been with Joe Daley the OC, I think he has been virtually brilliant in that role compared to his work as QB coach. Look no further than what happened to Stephan Masha as an example of a QB who actually regressed. Started as a raw, but dynamic and confident athlete, who threw for over 300 yards and 4 touchdowns in his first significant action and then followed that by leading us to the win over Coastal and our first playoff berth. Over the next 2 years the way he was handled by Daley (and Gill) robbed hm of all confidence and reduced him to the point where, as best I can tell, he didn´t even bother tranferring and using his final year of eligibility after graduating.
By Dalegarz1
I've said this before on another thread. Buckshot can really spin the ball and has very good arm strength. IMHO, what he lacks physically is in the mechanics of the throw. When you compare him with Tom Brady, an ultimate technician, you can see the "looseness" of his throwing motion. I would like him to really concentrate on his footwork and body position (which are related) as he prepares to deliver the ball. For the most part, this should improve his completion percentage which is below what a QB with his arm should be.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Bear in mind we still have an FCS O line. FBS teams have found a way to press our WRs starting with the Army game and put pressure on Buck and get him out of the pocket and throw on the run to the point where Daily has him rolling out every other play.
I think it’s the lack of a dedicated QB coach and not a great feel for the game. He is as talented as they come throwing the ball, but he needs someone who can develop him physically and mentally and we don’t have that. We have three former quarterbacks on our offensive staff and our quarterbacks don’t get better.
oldflame wrote:Duke said some things about Buckshot in the ¨¨straw vote¨ thread, and I think it´s worth discussing. I don´t necessarily agree that he has actually regressed in any area or that he has ¨reached his ceiling¨, but I certainly have not seen him progress as I would have hoped in the last year (since the Baylor game). As unimpressed as I have been with Joe Daley the OC, I think he has been virtually brilliant in that role compared to his work as QB coach. Look no further than what happened to Stephan Masha as an example of a QB who actually regressed. Started as a raw, but dynamic and confident athlete, who threw for over 300 yards and 4 touchdowns in his first significant action and then followed that by leading us to the win over Coastal and our first playoff berth. Over the next 2 years the way he was handled by Daley (and Gill) robbed hm of all confidence and reduced him to the point where, as best I can tell, he didn´t even bother tranferring and using his final year of eligibility after graduating.
If you think about it, Josh Woodrum really never progressed much beyond his sophomore year. His talent alone led him to his successes here and landed him on a NFL roster where he looked much better than he did his senior year as a Flame. Lack of development has been a thorn in our side for what 7-8 years now? Coincidence?
flamehunter wrote:
oldflame wrote:Duke said some things about Buckshot in the ¨¨straw vote¨ thread, and I think it´s worth discussing. I don´t necessarily agree that he has actually regressed in any area or that he has ¨reached his ceiling¨, but I certainly have not seen him progress as I would have hoped in the last year (since the Baylor game). As unimpressed as I have been with Joe Daley the OC, I think he has been virtually brilliant in that role compared to his work as QB coach. Look no further than what happened to Stephan Masha as an example of a QB who actually regressed. Started as a raw, but dynamic and confident athlete, who threw for over 300 yards and 4 touchdowns in his first significant action and then followed that by leading us to the win over Coastal and our first playoff berth. Over the next 2 years the way he was handled by Daley (and Gill) robbed hm of all confidence and reduced him to the point where, as best I can tell, he didn´t even bother tranferring and using his final year of eligibility after graduating.
If you think about it, Josh Woodrum really never progressed much beyond his sophomore year. His talent alone led him to his successes here and landed him on a NFL roster where he looked much better than he did his senior year as a Flame. Lack of development has been a thorn in our side for what 7-8 years now? Coincidence?
Looked up Josh's stats: (Year-Efficiency, Comp-Att-Int, Pct, Yds, TD, Avg Yd/game)

2012 - 137.2, 183-267-9, 68.5, 1966, 11, 178.7
2013 - 150.5, 198-308-7, 64.3, 2581, 19, 215.1
2014 - 147.6, 210-339-10, 61.9, 2947, 19, 245.6
2015 - 129.6, 242-390-4, 62.1, 2772, 12, 252.0
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Whats actually ironic given your "lack of development" comment is that while his QBR yo-yoed a bit, his completions went up, his interceptions went down from year 3 to year 4, and while his TDs went down from year 3 to year 4, his ypg average steadily increased from year 1 to year 4
BJWilliams wrote:Whats actually ironic given your "lack of development" comment is that while his QBR yo-yoed a bit, his completions went up, his interceptions went down from year 3 to year 4, and while his TDs went down from year 3 to year 4, his ypg average steadily increased from year 1 to year 4
His total pass attempts also increased each year, significantly in year 4, which accounts for more completions and more yards. The efficiency didn't "yo-yo" after his soph season, it decreased. His one area of marked improvement was the INT's in year 4. That comes from experience IMHO. Overall I think he was the same QB years 2-4 with no real progression. Watching him in pre-season NFL games he looked much more confident and sharp as a passer.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Unfortunately Buckshot doesn't get to throw against Gardner Webb, Presbyterian, Kentucky Wesleyan, Indiana State, Morgan State, Brevard . . . . this year. I would compare this year to next to be a fair assessment of progress. If he duplicates last years stats (29TDS and 6 INTs) then I would say that's progress given the level of competition. I'm not sure that's reasonable to expect though but who knows.
By CCWMichael
BuryYourDuke wrote:It is possible to evaluate his technique, decision making, and accuracy without taking competition level into account.
That all aside, this is what we have.
Current completion percentage tied for 97th
QBR 83rd

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm that[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]