Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

That's most people's problem, they want the kids to be robots or act like they are on an assembly line to a degree. You cant be yourself and still be a team player. If you are any different then that means your now an individual. Man F that, if you can play you can play, if you got swag or moxie then let it flow. As a coach I tell my kids this plain and simple hey go do your thing but it is only you that can get the privilege of being a certain way taken away from you. I personally don't believe that the way a kid dresses affects his play. Does it bring attention yes, and its very simple they live up to the attn. they seek or they become humbled by it.
BJWilliams wrote:
olldflame wrote:
prototype wrote:That scares me a bit. If I were him I would delete twitter... He looks pretty small next to his dad, and doesn't look like a leader I would want to follow. Just being honest.
You aren't an 18-22 year old football player. In fact, I thought for a second there ballcoach may have hacked into your account, but I read what you typed out loud and didn't sound like Tarzan, so I guess not.

Did you look at the response he got on Twitter? His teammates and classmates obviously love him. ZERO "shade". Yes, he needs to put on some muscle, but there is no reason for him to try to somehow hide that.by not being on social media. If you are worried if he can play and lead a team, look at some of his game video. Cannon arm and tons of swagger.
Qft...if you are worried about him after one picture (that in the pantheon of social media nonsense isn't all that bad), as Colin Cowherd would say, "that's a you problem". I've said this before but get Kill Bill working with him and he is going to be a very different looking guy come registration day for fall training camp
Gillespie is great at what he does, but I will be surprised and quite frankly concerned if we see a huge physical change in this kid by the Fall. He is a slender 6'3" 18 year old who plays QB. This needs to be a gradual process. Look no further than Woodrum last year to see the downside of a QB putting on too much weight in one summer.
forbidden wrote:That's most people's problem, they want the kids to be robots or act like they are on an assembly line to a degree. You cant be yourself and still be a team player. If you are any different then that means your now an individual. Man F that, if you can play you can play, if you got swag or moxie then let it flow. As a coach I tell my kids this plain and simple hey go do your thing but it is only you that can get the privilege of being a certain way taken away from you. I personally don't believe that the way a kid dresses affects his play. Does it bring attention yes, and its very simple they live up to the attn. they seek or they become humbled by it.
I had a feeling we would hear from you on this forbidden. Very well said.
The QB situation is going to be interesting the next few years. The fact that his team mates all seem to like him has to be a good thing though. Also, come this time next year, I think we will be looking at a different situation physically. I remember when I graduated high school at the ripe age of 17. I wasn't even out of puberty yet. I weighed 150lbs and was more slender than this kid. By age 20 I weighed almost 180 and it wasn't all fat and unlike LU football players, I didn't have a nutrition and weight lifting plan tailored made for me to go with all the resources a boy wanting to become a man needs. He's going to be just fine.
Purple Haize wrote:Ok. I love this kid already
Ditto. I also love Masha, and think he gets a lot of undeserved negativity here. I am cautiously optimistic about the QB position next year. As far as leadership is concerned, I personally think the bar has been set pretty low. Not having to worry about dodging the bus wheels will be a good thing for the entire team.
Three thoughts.

1. That picture alone shouldn't scare anyone.

2. I did go through his Twitter account and there is some swearing, which may alarm some LU fans. But he isn't the one swearing, he's just retweeting. I don't really care if someone swears but I know some LU fans will be offended. If that's you, just understand that he isn't the one writing the choice words.

3. If you honestly believe that a QB's off-field attitude doesn't effect on-field success, you are utterly fooling yourself. If we were talking about a receiver or a cornerback, I wouldn't care. However, the QB is the manager of your offense. He's the leader. When your down 4 with two minutes to go and the ball on your own 20, he's the one who you rely on. The successful organizations don't draft or recruit QB's with issues.

It doesn't appear that Calvert has any off-field issues but let's not pretend that off-field behavior doesn't matter.
VAGolf wrote:Three thoughts.

2. I did go through his Twitter account and there is some swearing, which may alarm some LU fans. But he isn't the one swearing, he's just retweeting. I don't really care if someone swears but I know some LU fans will be offended. If that's you, just understand that he isn't the one writing the choice words.

3. If you honestly believe that a QB's off-field attitude doesn't effect on-field success, you are utterly fooling yourself. If we were talking about a receiver or a cornerback, I wouldn't care. However, the QB is the manager of your offense. He's the leader. When your down 4 with two minutes to go and the ball on your own 20, he's the one who you rely on. The successful organizations don't draft or recruit QB's with issues.

It doesn't appear that Calvert has any off-field issues but let's not pretend that off-field behavior doesn't matter.
No one said off-the-field behavior doesn't matter. What we said was that there is nothing on his twitter account that should provide anyone here the ammunition to start dogging the kid.
Humble_Opinion wrote:

No one said off-the-field behavior doesn't matter. What we said was that there is nothing on his twitter account that should provide anyone here the ammunition to start dogging the kid.
Agreed. He is a HS Senior enjoying some of the perks of being the star QB, and from what I can see is handling it well.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
His twitter isn't concerning, its just weird. I have reservations about how he will fit in up in Virginia. Last year his prom outfit was a pair of jeans and a designer t-shirt. If we are talking about redflags, that interview a few months ago was concerning. I will leave it at that.
R i wrote:His twitter isn't concerning, its just weird. I have reservations about how he will fit in up in Virginia. Last year his prom outfit was a pair of jeans and a designer t-shirt. If we are talking about redflags, that interview a few months ago was concerning. I will leave it at that.
He doesn't necessarily need to fit in that well in VA, just at Liberty and on this team. As best I can tell next years roster will have 13 scholarship players from VA (plus several walk-ons) and 12 from FL, including 5 from this recruiting class.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
In terms of football, your right about him only needing to fit in with team mates. But we have seen the train wreck that can happen when your fan base cannot relate to your star QB.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:I haven't seen said interview. Is it also on his Twitter feed?
I believe it is in this thread.
R i wrote:In terms of football, your right about him only needing to fit in with team mates. But we have seen the train wreck that can happen when your fan base cannot relate to your star QB.
Relating to the fan base doesn't bring W's. If the kid practices and plays hard and subsequently earns the trust and respect of his teammates what else can you ask for? Especially if all of that leads to wins. That's how a 'star QB' relates to his fan base.
R i wrote:In terms of football, your right about him only needing to fit in with team mates. But we have seen the train wreck that can happen when your fan base cannot relate to your star QB.
And yet said star QB was the very personification of someone trying to present an image of what he thought a QB should be rather than being himself. It didn't resonate with his teammates OR the fan base. If I'm Buckshot, I'll take my chances with being real.
R i wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote:I haven't seen said interview. Is it also on his Twitter feed?
I believe it is in this thread.
I think I found what was supposed to be the link, but the video was no longer available. I did find a few videos of some interviews he's done on youtube, plus some extra highlight videos. The kid was the star white QB at a school that is majority black, and apparently had never had a white QB at the helm. That's what it seemed from one of the interviews with the Miami Herald. He's got a little bit of drawl in his speech, but I see nothing that should serve as a cause for alarm at the moment.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:

Forbidden basically implied it. The first part of my last sentence is directed at prototype, the last part is directed at forbidden. Thanks.
While we are on the subject of interviews, I'm going to get on my soap box and talk about post game. With a new and inexperienced QB, now more than ever it should not be automatic for that to be the player in front of the mic, regardless of what the media requests. If I'm Gill, I make myself available and give them a SHORT list of names they can pick from for players which may or may not include the QB. If the QB is not on the list, Gill can handle position related questions. Personally, I would just send JaRon Green out there every week, but I'm not the coach.
Last edited by olldflame on May 24th, 2016, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Carone wrote:Why shouldn't Masha be available? He was the winning quarterback in one of the biggest wins in school history and is a senior.
I didn't say he shouldn't. Just that I believe the HC should decide who he wants to be interviewed on a game by game basis. I appreciate you reminding everyone about his contribution. I think it has been overlooked, as is the fact that in his limited opportunities, his PASSING numbers are on a par with Woodrums, and he is obviously a far superior runner. BTW, Stephen is a R-JR.
I'm optimistic about Masha. He's been in the system for three years and does have some "big game" experience. He seems to be taking the challenge from the other QB prospects seriously based on what we've seen up to this point. Coupled with his running ability, the sky is the limit for him this year. A lot of his success will depend on the OL and how our WR corps deals with the loss of Petey.
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]