Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By willflop
Class of 20Something wrote:Currently 10th in passing yards in FBS. Tied for 20th in TDs

There is no one with a lower completion percentage in the top 10.
I’ve been thinking about how to assess where he’s at, given his 55% completion rate. You normally see this % in run heavy QBs or those that are just bad. But then here he is ranking 9th in YPG, 20th in TDs, and 16th in yards per completion (YPC). My question is whether he’s just in a funk and will snap out of it the latter half of the season, hopefully getting up to 60%. Or, is it the competition and it’s the best we can expect.
By Jonathan Carone
I think his receivers bail him out on a lot of passes. AGG and BJ win most 50/50 balls thrown their direction and get tons of yards after the catch in a lot of cases.

At the same time, there were a lot of drops the first couple games this year.

As basic as this sounds, if Calvert can get the ball to the receiver and they actually catch it, we are really good offensively. We just haven’t had a ton of time where both those things happened in the same game. One position is usually off.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think his receivers bail him out on a lot of passes. AGG and BJ win most 50/50 balls thrown their direction and get tons of yards after the catch in a lot of cases.

As basic as this sounds, if Calvert can get the ball to the receiver and they actually catch it, we are really good offensively. We just haven’t had a ton of time where both those things happened in the same game. One position is usually off.
This right here. For as much as he was at times maligned on here, Josh made alot of plays and had guys who could do just what BJ and AGG do with Buckshot. He had Petey among others to throw to. Current RB coach Mike Brown had Chris Summers. The older hats on here could recall the guys Robbie Justino was throwing to when he became the all time leading passer.
By willflop
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think his receivers bail him out on a lot of passes. AGG and BJ win most 50/50 balls thrown their direction and get tons of yards after the catch in a lot of cases.

Yea. My first inclination was to think there’d be a correlation between yards per completion and completion percentage. In other words, 55% may not be that bad since his YPC is so high, since he takes more lower percentage throws, but the data doesn’t back this up. When you take the top 50 QBs in terms of YPC, they average 14 YPC at almost 62% completion. So, if Calvert is being bailed out by extra YAC, that could explain why he's an anomaly.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Bailed out by extra YAC yards ?!? What if Buckshot is just really good at "throwing his receiver open".
By SoD BAS
LOL. Broken tackles happen, but YAC are a team effort. Coaches recognizing defensive schemes, QB leading the receiver, WR getting separation. Getting bailed out on YAC.......smh
By Class of 20Something
I think now is an appropriate time to just rely on NCAA Passer Rating as a metric that ranks Buckshot at #27. That factors in everything, and I believe that is probably a fair assessment. By that metric, the best QB we face this year was Mason Fine, and Bryce Perkins at UVA is the only higher ranked QB remaining on the schedule.

Also of note, Buckshot is probably one of the only remaining QBs that doesn't have an FCS defense already swaying his statline.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:Bailed out by extra YAC yards ?!? What if Buckshot is just really good at "throwing his receiver open".
Then "throwing his receiver open" looks a lot like "overthrowing his wide open receiver" just as often.

I haven't watched every play of every game, but what I have seen is a lot of AGG and Farrow breaking tackles and extending plays more often than I've seen them getting thrown open into extra yardage. AGG stiff arms someone to the ground before running for extra yardage at least once a game.

Calvert has an incredible arm. There's no denying that. I think our wide receivers are better overall talents than him though. Saying that doesn't mean I think Calvert is trash. It just means I think AGG and Farrow are really really good.
By SoD BAS
Jonathan Carone wrote:
R i wrote:Bailed out by extra YAC yards ?!? What if Buckshot is just really good at "throwing his receiver open".
Then "throwing his receiver open" looks a lot like "overthrowing his wide open receiver" just as often.

I haven't watched every play of every game, but what I have seen is a lot of AGG and Farrow breaking tackles and extending plays more often than I've seen them getting thrown open into extra yardage. AGG stiff arms someone to the ground before running for extra yardage at least once a game.

Calvert has an incredible arm. There's no denying that. I think our wide receivers are better overall talents than him though. Saying that doesn't mean I think Calvert is trash. It just means I think AGG and Farrow are really really good.
I would agree that AGG is probably the better talent. But, remember, Buck had a heck of a freshman season before we knew AGG's name. Taking time to credit a portion of his successes to getting bailed out isn't a great look.
By willflop
Then it would follow that he's really good at throwing his receiver open. That doesn't change whether yac explains the dissimlariety between ypc and completion rate.
By Jonathan Carone
SoD BAS wrote: But, remember, Buck had a heck of a freshman season before we knew AGG's name.
This speaks to their natural talent and where they were coming out of high school. Since getting here, Calvert hasn't had the position coaching development like AGG or Farrow have had.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
SoD BAS wrote: But, remember, Buck had a heck of a freshman season before we knew AGG's name.
This speaks to their natural talent and where they were coming out of high school. Since getting here, Calvert hasn't had the position coaching development like AGG or Farrow have had.
Ding, ding, ding, ding!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
AGG is someone who could be legit playing on Sundays. BJ is a talent as well. He was capable going back to his LCA days of dropping a huge TD...and just about everyone remembers his game winner against Coastal too.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, Lo[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]