Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Sly Fox wrote:Actually in many places emphasizing specialization more than hoops. That's why it is rare to have somebody strong in both sports unless they are a pitcher. In that case, playing another sport actually protects their arm from overuse.
You are actually starting to see a backlash against that. Several coaches are encouraging kids to play multiple sports. And by coaches I mean College. College coaches look more favorable on multi sport athletes.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Actually in many places emphasizing specialization more than hoops. That's why it is rare to have somebody strong in both sports unless they are a pitcher. In that case, playing another sport actually protects their arm from overuse.
You are actually starting to see a backlash against that. Several coaches are encouraging kids to play multiple sports. And by coaches I mean College. College coaches look more favorable on multi sport athletes.
Not surprised to hear that, but it is a change from the trend for a number of years. I know Gill LOVES basketball players and has a track record of doing visits to see his recruits play hoops. He believes it gives him a different view of a player's overall athleticism and leadership skills. I'm not so sure Ritchie feels the same way about his guys playing football.
By Dirty 30
Chippy wrote:
olldflame wrote:
Chippy wrote:My favorite multisport athlete was Dick Groat. He eventually settled for basketball and baseball at Duke. He was the national player of the year in baseball and the national player of the year in basketball as well in the same year :shock: . Never done before or since. Played both sports professionally before settling for baseball (Pirates).
Spoken like a true Pittsburgher. Groat is now 85 and still doing color for Pitt basketball. (FYI, I lived in suburban Pittsburgh for 4 years and graduated from North Hills HS).

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1601100087

Very cool. Went to Munhall HS which hasn't existed for some time now. Munhall merged with Homestead HS and became Steel Valley (Steelers) HS a number of years ago.
Great article. That is amazing!
By Dirty 30
Brandon Tillmon said his in home visit with Coach Gill went great. Coach Gill wants him on campus ready to go in June. He was glad to hear that and said as soon as his final transcripts are sent to Liberty and they received them he could report as early as the second week of June and begin classes and workouts/conditioning to prepare for fall camp and get acclimated to the College Life. He spent a lot of time with his mother because she was not able to visit the campus with him on the last two trips. His official visit has been canceled for this coming weekend due to the snow storm they are expecting in Lynchburg. All visits have been canceled for all recruits so he has rescheduled to visit next weekend Jan. 29-31. As for the Clemson and USC contact on Monday, they are interested and will be in contact this weekend. I ask if anything has changed about allowing him to play baseball if offered and he said that was not discussed but it has to be included if they offer or else he will not entertain the offer. Makes no sense to me, the kid is a draft prospect and your not going to allow him to play baseball. This is why I have a lot of respect for Coach Gill and Liberty because they were the first school to say that he could play both sports. I think that weighed a lot on why Brandon chose to commit to Liberty. It also helps knowing your head coach did it when he was in college and he can relate to what he will be dealing with playing both as well as getting an education. I pray that everyone up north and especially in the Lynchburg area is blessed with this incoming snow storm. Be Safe,
GO FLAMES!!!!!
By Dirty 30
Tillmon will go his Official Visit to Liberty Jan 29-31. Coach Wimberly will be back at the school this Tuesday to visit him. He is looking forward to the trip this coming weekend. I hope the weather is better for the visit this weekend. I look forward to finding out how his visit goes when he returns home. GO FLAMES!
By Dirty 30
Yes. He has been in contact with a lot of the guys that he met on the last visit. I can't remember the Offensive Lineman's name from Nebraska and the other safety coming in but he looks forward to hanging out with those guys again. I guess they spent a lot of time together at the Kennesaw St. game which is great. I will let you know if I hear anything with the visit on Tuesday with Coach Wimberly and his official visit this coming weekend.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I meant to say this here but if Clemson or anyone else is sniffing around, I hope they have their baseball coach in on the pitch (no pun intended)
By Dirty 30
Go one BJ. I have not heard anything else about Clemson or South Carolina from Brandon. You know how things can happen going into that last week before signing day when boards get adjusted because you don't get commitments for certain positions. I think that may be a reason Liberty coaches have been in to visit him a lot lately the last two weeks. All I know is what he tells me and he said he is not talking to anyone if baseball is not included in the equation.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Smart kid. Some of these other kids could learn from him. Problem is we will have to sweathe through the draft for him too. I'll say one thing. We're recruiting a different level of kids in baseball and football the last couple years. We're fighting fbs schools and the draft regularly.
By Dirty 30
I read on here the Goal for Liberty football is to go FBS. If that is indeed the plan, you have to play some of the good FBS schools that are on the upcoming schedule and recruit those kind of kids and use that pitch along with your schedule. That is what Gill and the staff are doing. I look forward to the future of the Flames.
By Dirty 30
Coach Wimberly was in to see Brandon today and watched his basketball practice and then went out for dinner. He said the visit was great and they talked about him reporting the second week in June to begin his career at Liberty, He said he can't wait and is looking forward to the visit this weekend. Coach Toman also called today to check on him and told him to stop by the baseball field while he was on his visit and enjoy some of the intrasquad games they will be having this weekend and he said he would do that as well. I truly believe we will not have to worry about Brandon jumping on a P5 offer if one of the schools do decide to pull the trigger. From the conversation with him, he is set to go to Liberty and play football and baseball. The only thing that may change this situation is the baseball draft in June.

GO Flames!
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:Coach Wimberly was in to see Brandon today and watched his basketball practice and then went out for dinner. He said the visit was great and they talked about him reporting the second week in June to begin his career at Liberty, He said he can't wait and is looking forward to the visit this weekend. Coach Toman also called today to check on him and told him to stop by the baseball field while he was on his visit and enjoy some of the intrasquad games they will be having this weekend and he said he would do that as well. I truly believe we will not have to worry about Brandon jumping on a P5 offer if one of the schools do decide to pull the trigger. From the conversation with him, he is set to go to Liberty and play football and baseball. The only thing that may change this situation is the baseball draft in June.

GO Flames!
Education or toil in the minors for in single A to AA ball. Its a hard road to tow, wish him well in whatever is final choice is. Selfish me says LU, greedy me says follow the $$$$, but all $$$$ isn't good $$$
By Dirty 30
I enjoyed talking to Brandon about his visit. He said it was awesome and he didn't want to leave. He was ready to get started right then while he was there. He said the tubing down the mountain was very impressive. He said the guys that were there were awesome and they bonded and exchanged numbers and the goal is to get to Liberty by the 2nd week of June to start the road to championships. I ask him what they did when he was with other players and he said what happens in Lynchburg stays in Lynchburg with a smile! He said he and Ceneca plan to be roommates along with Lionel. Just looking at the post of commitments, this is shaping up to be a very good class. I am new to Liberty football and I would like to know from you guys on how many of the incoming Freshman you think will have a chance to contribute as Freshman? I look forward to following Liberty football and baseball the next four years following Brandon Tillmon and the rest of the Liberty Flames. I look forward to your responses on which Freshman you think will have an impact this coming season or be able to contribute a lot this season.

GO Flames!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'll post more detailed comments in another thread, but I think Brandon has a very good chance to come in right away and contribute, as well as AGG and McConnell. A number the linemen could make their way into the two deep as well (as I mentioned in another discussion, 13 of the linemen (including the 4 coming in) will be sophomore or younger come the start of 2016 training camp, so this could be a very special unit by the time theyre upperclassmen. Yearick and McGinty we will get an early look at because they are already in school
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Question for Dirty 30. Brandon is listed at 6'1" 205 on his profile. Is that still accurate? Trying to figure out where he projects to play. Bennett seems to think he is a future NFL LB, in which case he needs to be bigger than that.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the updates, Dirty 30. We love hearing the great feedback.

Coach Gill has actually been pretty aggressive in letting freshmen play the past couple of years when we had smaller classes. Obviously the step up from HS is a huge transition especially for O-Line and LBs. Traditionally those two groups would almost be a lock redshirt unless they blew the coaches away in camp. Hopefully some of these guys who are coming in will be too good to keep off the field. I see freshmen getting PT right away at QB, WR, DL & Secondary. Safety in particular will be open to competition in spring drills and camp. And with Lunsford gone, Probert will be given every opportunity to take the kicker role. Between Bevins & Lunsford, they essentially had that covered for 8 of the last 10 years. We'd love to have another 4-year stalwart locking down that spot.
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
My kid was the host for Seneca, so I def "heard" that a good time was had by everyone this past weekend.

Safety will be "open" competition
LB will have a spot or two on the two deep
DL has like 2 I think
QB we KNOW will be open
OL will have cpl spots

should be interesting
By Dirty 30
olldflame wrote:Question for Dirty 30. Brandon is listed at 6'1" 205 on his profile. Is that still accurate? Trying to figure out where he projects to play. Bennett seems to think he is a future NFL LB, in which case he needs to be bigger than that.
Old Flame,

Brandon was 6'2 215 during football season. He looks good in a basketball and baseball uniform. Coach Wimberly likes him at Safety because they can do a lot of things with him from bringing him up and blitzing off the edge or press coverage on a slot receiver. I would not be surprise if Brandon is around 225 or 230 by his So. year. That frame has room for 20 more pounds and he is already thick and solid and can run. He is excited about getting to school in June to begin his career and he loves the strength coach. I still hope they let him play some offense guys because he is special with the ball in his hands. He is physical and loves defense as well but his High School needed him at QB and he played defense when they needed a stop or big situation.
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:
olldflame wrote:Question for Dirty 30. Brandon is listed at 6'1" 205 on his profile. Is that still accurate? Trying to figure out where he projects to play. Bennett seems to think he is a future NFL LB, in which case he needs to be bigger than that.
Old Flame,

Brandon was 6'2 215 during football season. He looks good in a basketball and baseball uniform. Coach Wimberly likes him at Safety because they can do a lot of things with him from bringing him up and blitzing off the edge or press coverage on a slot receiver. I would not be surprise if Brandon is around 225 or 230 by his So. year. That frame has room for 20 more pounds and he is already thick and solid and can run. He is excited about getting to school in June to begin his career and he loves the strength coach. I still hope they let him play some offense guys because he is special with the ball in his hands. He is physical and loves defense as well but his High School needed him at QB and he played defense when they needed a stop or big situation.

That type size has "box" player written all over it...Unless he is at the hybrid spot wont see to much press coverage, and if that's the case why would he have played LB in that all star game if he knew that next level he would be dropping back off the hash marks...doesn't make a lot of sense. Either way im sure they will utilize him how "they" see fit only
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I don't know his status but this is during school just so you know so maybe he is getting set up for getting his letter signed and all the pictures and media and what not...
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-adds-commitment-[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]