Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agreed Sly...let's be patient. There hasn't even been an update on the AC page since 9:47 AM and we have had a couple new ones since then
By Dirty 30
Guys,

I found out why the NLI was turned in late. The phones and fax were not working. Coaches were calling to see what was going on. Brandon said they thought someone had come in and flipped him and they wanted to see what was going on. He told Coach Gill he was going to be a Flame and his Dad and the principal had District office personnel working on the phone lines and fax service. Looking forward to following Flame Athletics for a long time. I enjoyed watching the Liberty Signing Day on ESPN 3. It was awesome!

Go Flames!
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
I had a question that puzzled me, HCTG in his tenure here has not let no other player play another sport, whether it be basketball or track. With all the kids that were multi sport athlete athletes that are on the roster, how is this really going to work now that pen is to paper
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
forbidden wrote:I had a question that puzzled me, HCTG in his tenure here has not let no other player play another sport, whether it be basketball or track. With all the kids that were multi sport athlete athletes that are on the roster, how is this really going to work now that pen is to paper
In his comments yesterday Gill was pretty clear that Brandon needs to demonstrate he can fulfill his football and académic obligations first if be wants to play baseball. I do believe Aikens, Kenny Smith and Abnar have all spent some time on the track team since Gill arrived. I don't recall who was coach the semester Walt played hoops.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It will work just fine. Every major program makes exceptions. If Heisman winners can also play baseball, I think Coach Gill can honor a pledge to let Brandon play both sports if he takes care of business in the classroom. Keep in mind that this was part of the deal to close a pledge. Once you are in the program, you have less leverage to double up.

As for the fax machine drama, that is hilarious. I wondered if coaches from other schools were calling to see if he had changed his mind. I saw similar stories of fax machine woes at other schools across the nation on the web. The NCAA needs to step in and do something about relying on 50-year-old technology that is only used once a year for NSD.
By Dirty 30
I don't think HCTG would go back on his word of Brandon playing two sports when he laid the plan out with him and his parents. Brandon's dad is a coach and good friends with Coach Toman and I know if Brandon fulfills his academic obligations and is not allowed to play baseball, there will be a major problem.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Dalton would have played both had we have gotten him last year. He ultimately chose the Sec offer and football but baseball was the reason we beat out schools like Michigan and Oklahoma to ultimately lose to Arkansas. Dirty30, where does brandon play in baseball position wise. Where is he projected to be drafted at round wise.
By Dirty 30
jinxy wrote:Dalton would have played both had we have gotten him last year. He ultimately chose the Sec offer and football but baseball was the reason we beat out schools like Michigan and Oklahoma to ultimately lose to Arkansas. Dirty30, where does brandon play in baseball position wise. Where is he projected to be drafted at round wise.
Outfield and pitches. I have not seen any projections but I don't think he is a Top 10 round guy but I could be wrong but according to where he gets drafted and the money slot for that round and leverage with going to college or playing pro ball, I guess it is pretty good!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:I don't think HCTG would go back on his word of Brandon playing two sports when he laid the plan out with him and his parents. Brandon's dad is a coach and good friends with Coach Toman and I know if Brandon fulfills his academic obligations and is not allowed to play baseball, there will be a major problem.
Académic and football obligations must be met according to Gills comments yesterday. I'm sure he has covered the specifics with Brandon.
By Dirty 30
olldflame wrote:
Dirty 30 wrote:I don't think HCTG would go back on his word of Brandon playing two sports when he laid the plan out with him and his parents. Brandon's dad is a coach and good friends with Coach Toman and I know if Brandon fulfills his academic obligations and is not allowed to play baseball, there will be a major problem.
Académic and football obligations must be met according to Gills comments yesterday. I'm sure he has covered the specifics with Brandon.

Your absolutely correct old flame. According to Brandon, His dad, Coach Gill and Coach Toman discussed the the football plan and baseball plan. He would not tell me the exact details but he said as long as he keeps good grades, he will be allowed to play baseball. I ask him if they discussed how spring practice would be with him playing baseball and he said he would not miss any spring football and Coach Gill and Coach Toman will have a plan for him before spring football his freshman season. I got some other info for you Old Flame, I think you ask about the draft but as far as the draft goes, Coach Gill will be helping him with that process if he does get drafted in June to make sure he doesn't forfeit or disqualify himself from College Athletics thru the NCAA since he has experienced that himself coming out of high school. I thought that was truly remarkable that Coach Gill would do that. I doubt you will find any coaches with the experience he has in this situation to help one of his players.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Having HCTG aiding in the process is definitely a benefit as he evaluates his draft opportunities, although some things have changed since his playing days. Last month, the major conferences voted to allow HS draftees the opportunity to hire an agent without affecting eligibility if they choose to decline the draft and continue to pursue the college route. Other D1 conferences have to make this decision independently and I have not found any information from the Big South regarding a decision. I expect they will make a public statement before this year's draft as to whether they will allow it or not. The change in allowing agents is only available for HS players and not existing collegiate players with remaining playing eligibility that are draft eligible. If a player is in this position and can go in the first two rounds at slot or possibly above, they need wise counsel in making this decision and assembling the best team of advisers is crucial.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Would he be drafted as a pitcher or outfielder? Is toman looking at him for both as well. I haven't seen any video of baseball but I would bet he would look good in our outfield with his speed.
By Dirty 30
jinxy wrote:Would he be drafted as a pitcher or outfielder? Is toman looking at him for both as well. I haven't seen any video of baseball but I would bet he would look good in our outfield with his speed.
He would be drafted as an outfielder. Coach Toman told him that he is penciled in as an outfielder and hitter and he will look at him at pitching but the plan is for him to run down balls in the OF and drive runners in wearing out the gaps and hitting homeruns.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
It will be fairly easy to figure out where he stands with the baseball draft. I can find that out pretty easy, but I suspect Toman and Gill have their sources as well. Even among experts there will be varying opinions though.
By Dirty 30
I wish him well in everything. I just would love to see him play college football but if pro ball comes calling and the money is right, I can't blame him. Maybe he would still decide to play football as well if the organization would allow it. Time will tell.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
With all the silly rules the NCAA has, they have no problem with playing pro ball in a different sport. It is getting pretty rare for a pro team to allow it though, especially football.
By Dirty 30
I hope Flame Nation has been doing well. Basketball season ended Feb. 25 and Brandon has been on the baseball diamond and he is in rare form. The Week March 7-11, he hit 2 walk off home runs. Both were 3 run shots along with 15 RBI's for the week. They are currently 6-1 overall and 2-0 in Region Play and he is 2-0 on the Mound. Crazy week with crazy numbers. Looking forward to hearing about Spring Football practice when it gets started up on the forum. Go Flames!

http://riverbluffathletics.com/2016/03/ ... chool-5-4/

http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20 ... 8Vvs.email
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the update, Dirty 30. We always like hearing about 3-run dingers!
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:I hope Flame Nation has been doing well. Basketball season ended Feb. 25 and Brandon has been on the baseball diamond and he is in rare form. The Week March 7-11, he hit 2 walk off home runs. Both were 3 run shots along with 15 RBI's for the week. They are currently 6-1 overall and 2-0 in Region Play and he is 2-0 on the Mound. Crazy week with crazy numbers. Looking forward to hearing about Spring Football practice when it gets started up on the forum. Go Flames!

http://riverbluffathletics.com/2016/03/ ... chool-5-4/

http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20 ... 8Vvs.email

I blame the opposing team's pitcher/coach. Clearly they needed to intentionally walk the bases loaded both times.

Impressive stuff! Excited for Brandon to start wearing the Liberty gear!
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]