Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
October 14th, Ypsilanti, Michigan.... For those of you still scratching your heads, I will help ease the itiching feeling... That was the day that LU got there first win over a 1-team, Eastern Michigan 25-24.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
weren't you still in diapers??
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
GMTM thinks of himself as an Old Hag :lol:
By Innocent Bystander
Registration Days Posts
I remember the article in Sports Illustrated about Liberty that started with that game and a pregame speech about David and Goliath.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I had graduated early in the year and was doing television sales in Cincinnati (Ugh ... I had hoped to forget those days) and I remember hearing the score on the local sportscast and nearly wetting myself. Folks today may not realize it, but that was a VERY good team we beat that day. We haven't played a team of that calibre since.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
That is a good point Sly. I believe they were a top 25 1A team but maybe Vegas or KJ90 can correct me if I am wrong. Our team was really, really good those 1st couple of years under coach Sam.
By jvegas14
Registration Days Posts
They were receiving votes, Scar. But, yes, they were a good team. Not to mention, as talked about in the link above, we were starting a redshirt freshman who had never seen the field.

Coach Sam's first two years were some really good football at LU.

I'd say, though, that this year's Wake Forest squad would have been a little better than that EMU team.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i agree vegas. that EMU team was stout, but this years's wake team is pretty solid, despite their choking last saturday.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
17 years ago I was 4 and didn't even know Liberty existed...so no, I don't remember it.
By Stevewalt
Registration Days Posts
Eric Green caught a td pass to win it if I am not mistaken!
That team got ripped off by the selection committee for 1AA that year too!
The team had a chip on their shoulder after that year!
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
you correct, he caught a tipped pass to win the game with 11 seconds left...I hope to talk to him about it tonight or tomorrow
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
GMTM can you find out if he is coming to HC this weekend? I always get asked that question a million times every year. At least now I can know the answer!
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I have seen him a few times over the last seceral years. I caught him on XM radio a couple of months ago tlaking about the coaching intern program he is in with Miami.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
One of the few times I have ever heard Jerry Edwards excited. I believe Robbie Justino was the QB.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
EMU won a bowl game in 1987 and was ranked 24th in the country I-A when we played them having just tied Colorado State 35-35 the week before our meeting. Robbie's pass to Eric put us up 25-24 for the final score.
By Stevewalt
Registration Days Posts
Remeber how Jerry was at chapel, back in our day we called it chapel not convocation, he was a proud papa up there on stage ranting on "his" football teams accomplishment and his dream of playing Notre Dame some day. I really thought we were on to something then the dark days hit and looks like we maybe coming out of it finally.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for backing me up, baldspot. I could've sworn they were Top-25.

And yes those were our glory days ... hopefully Coach Rocco will make us look back at those days and say how tough we had it. :wink:
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I can't believe that it has been 17 years since the victory over Eastern Michigan. When I saw the score in the paper the next mourning I nearly fell over (the internet didn't exist back then). After that win I thought that LU would be a 1AA power for years to come, unfortunately that never happened. The only wins that I can think of that would come remotely close in terms of significance would be the wins over Troy State, Appalachian state (8 years ago), and the last 2 wins agains't Central Florida. But the EMU win was by far the most significant win ever for football.
By LU'90KJ
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, that was definitely one of the highlights of my career at LU. If we would have taken care of business at the end of the year there would have been no way the selection committee could have left us out. But we did not finish strong. As I remember we had some key defensive injuries that we just could get over.
By Stevewalt
Registration Days Posts
I can remember one play that year were Eric Green was dragging at least 5 guys down the field trying to tackle him.
He was a friggin horse. I haven't seen another player with his lower body yet.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Wow Vegas, thats hard. That's your boy tho so you are allowed. :lol: :lol:
By jvegas14
Registration Days Posts
HEHE!! I couldn't resist. But, hey, I sincerely doubt Rikishi could run a 4.6, 40.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]