Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
http://www.libertyflames.com/football/n ... ws_id=3005

Here's something from Rivals about the big kid from FL

Jon Kirby
PowerMizzou.com
After his Nike camp performance Antonio Tassara received division one offers just based off his skills in drills and his body frame. But he didn't really pay attention to the recruiting process until this month.

Rivals.com
Tassara will meet with the Missouri coaches on Friday
After turning away division one offers Tassara is down to two different schools in different divisions.

"I have narrowed it down to Missouri and Liberty," Tassara said. "I know Liberty is not the big school that plays the level of football that Missouri does. But it is a very good school. I liked my visit to Missouri a lot. They had great facilities and their basketball arena was cool. Their weight room was�wow."

Tassara said his senior film didn't circulate until after his season was over. After that he still wasn't educated on the recruiting process to know what to expect. He just started taking visits in January.

"I've really only played one full year of football," he said. "I played last year but this was my real, first year. If I pick a school like Missouri it will be very different going to such a big place. I know what they have to offer."

On Friday Tassara said Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel and offensive Dave Christensen are due to make an in-home visit.

Sure looks like coach brought in some beasts. Should be a great year on the mountain.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wow, we really worked Florida hard. That's a very good thing IMHO. I also like seeing a Texan in the class even though I'm not familiar with the kid. I guess he goes to the school for gigantic Prestonwood Baptist Church up there in the Metroplex.

Lots of beef for both lines and plenty of athletes. At first blush this looks like a terrific haul.
Last edited by Sly Fox on February 1st, 2006, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
This is the complete 2006 signing class for Coach Danny Rocco
Terry Adams – 6-0, 230, LB, Elkin HS, Elkin, N.C.
Four-year letterwinner … three-time first-team All-Northwest Conference honoree … finished his sophomore year with 108 tackles, 10 sacks, 11 tackles for a loss and a defensive touchdown … named to the first-team AP All-State defensive team as a junior after finishing the year with 149 tackles, 19 sacks, 28 tackles for a loss, two blocked punts and two defensive touchdowns … recorded 153 tackles, 26 tackles for a loss, 10 sacks, eight forced fumbles and six pass breakups during his senior campaign.

Alfonso Bailey – 5-10, 180, DB, Mariner HS, Fort Myers, Fla.
Four-year starter … second leading tackler on the team as a freshman with 98 tackles … finished his prep career with nearly 500 total tackles … three-time all-conference selection … two-time Defensive Player of the Year (sophomore and senior seasons) … leading tackler in the area with 150 tackles, two interceptions and three sacks as a sophomore … also led the area with 140 tackles and an interception during his senior campaign.

Derek Bishop – 5-10, 220, LB/FB, Bayshore HS, Bradenton, Fla.
Four-year starter … three-time all-county honoree, including first-team honors during his junior and senior seasons … honorable mention all-state selection as a junior … first-team all-area and second-team all-state honoree as a senior … three-year qualifier for the state tournament in weightlifting.

Danny Broggin – 6-0, 190, QB/DB, William Campbell HS, Naruna, Va.
Four-year letterwinner … passed for 2,100 yards and 18 touchdowns as a junior, while rushing for 1,250 yards and 23 touchdowns … first-team all-district and second-team all-region as a junior … threw for 1,800 yards and 17 touchdowns as a senior, while adding 1,036 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns … first-team all-district, first-team all-region and first-team all-state as a senior, while being named the District Player of the Year … was a member of the William Campbell state championship team in 2002 and led the squad to another state title in 2005.

Chad Brown – 6-2, 230, DE, Eau Gallie HS, Melbourne, Fla.
Four-year letterwinner … named to the FACA second-team all-county and Cape Coast Conference second-team squads as a junior … a decorated athlete as a senior as he was named to the Orlando Sentinel first-team, Florida Today first-team, Space Coast first-team, Cape Coast Conference first-team, ESPN Radio first-team and FACA all-district first-team squads … also named to the Bervard County and Central Florida all-star teams as a senior.

Wesley Cheek – 6-0, 195, DB/RB, Dacula HS, Dacula, Ga.
Four-year letterwinner … finished his career with 293 tackles (129 solo and 164 assisted), including 31 tackles for a loss, five interceptions and 21 pass breakups … named two-way Player of the Year as a sophomore as he finished year with 98 tackles, 14 tackles for a loss, two interceptions and seven pass breakups … Dacula Defensive Player of the Year during his junior season with 84 tackles and nine pass breakups … moved to fullback his senior year, finishing the season with 860 yards and 12 touchdowns … first-team all-county and all-region honoree as a senior.

Joe Gray – 6-4, 320, DL/OL, R.J. Reynolds HS, Winston-Salem, N.C.
Two-time Central Piedmont 4A all-conference selection at defensive tackle … R.J. Reynolds Defensive Player of the Year as a senior … named to the Winston-Salem Journal All-Northwest team during his senior campaign.

Trey Jacobs – 6-4, 270, DL, Eau Claire HS, Columbia, S.C.
Four-year letterwinner … finished his four-year prep career with 317 tackles and 43 sacks … 50 tackles, nine sacks, interception and five pass breakups as a freshman … 85 tackles, 12 sacks, one touchdown, five forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries as a sophomore … 92 tackles, eight sacks, four pass breakups, four forced fumbles and a fumble recovery as a junior … 90 tackles, 14 sacks, seven pass breakups, five quarterback hurries and four forced fumbles as a senior.

Spencer Landis – 6-2, 180, QB, Dacula HS, Dacula, Ga.
Three-year letterwinner … passed for 900 yards and 12 touchdowns, while rushing for 375 yards and four touchdowns as a junior … led his team to the Region 7AAAAA championship during his junior campaign … first-team all-region, first-team all-county and first-team all-state as a senior, while throwing for 1,571 yards and a school record 24 touchdowns as a senior … finished his senior year with a 12-2 overall record and a semifinalists in the AAAAA state playoffs … team was ranked third in the state his senior year … comes from an athletic family as his father wrestled at Georgia and his mother was a two-time high school All-American in soccer.

Donald Manns – 5-9, 175, DB, The Bolles School, Jacksonville, Fla.
Three-year varsity starter … helped lead his junior varsity squad to a state championship as a freshman, finishing the year with 30 tackles … named Special Teams Player of the Year as a sophomore, while the team finished as a runner-up in the state playoffs … led The Bolles School to a state title as a junior, finishing the year with 55 tackles and two interceptions … recorded 60 tackles and an interception as a senior and helped his squad to the state playoffs … also competed in track and field and weightlifting.

Kyle O’Donnell – 6-2, 210, LB/RB, Dallastown Area HS, Dallastown, Pa.
Three-year starter … finished his junior season with 673 yards rushing (averaging 4.81 yards per carry), while being named to the second-team All-YAIAA squad at defensive back … 790 yards and 14 touchdowns as a senior at running back and 54 tackles, an interception and a blocked kick as a linebacker … named to both the first-team (running back) and second-team (linebacker) All-YAIAA teams as a senior … York Sunday News All-Star first-team selection at linebacker … selected to participate in the War of the Roses All-Star game.

Stephen Oehlschleager – 6-1, 195, QB, Prestonwood Christian Academy, Richardson, Texas
Two-year starter … 24-1 record as a career starter … threw for 2,700 yards during his junior and senior seasons … Offensive Player of the Year and first-team all-district honoree as a junior and senior … TAPPS Division 3 MVP of the State as a senior … District Offensive Player of the Year as a senior, leading his team to a state championship … state qualifier in swimming … led his baseball team to the state finals in 2004 … Defensive Player of the Year (pitcher) as a sophomore and junior.

Chandler Rearden – 6-2, 240, OL, Greenwood HS, Greenwood, S.C.
Four-year letterwinner … three-year starter on the offensive line … named Greenwood’s Most Improved Player award winner as a freshman … two-time All-Lakelands Offensive Lineman honoree … two-time All-Region I-AAAA Offensive Lineman award winner … graded out at 80.0 percent as a junior and 89.4 percent as a senior … 2004 FCA Male Athlete of the Year … 2005 Carolinas Shrine Bowl selection and participant … 2005 HSSR.com AAAA all-state offensive linemen selection … FCA student vice president.

Chris Rocco – 5-11, 190, QB/DB, Liberty Christian Academy, Forest, Va.
Four-year starter, posting a 37-2-1 career record … finished his career with 5,496 yards passing and 58 touchdowns … four-time all-conference honoree … two-time all-area and all-state selection … led Liberty Christian Academy to two state championships (2004 and 2005) … nominated for the Wendy’s High School Heisman as a senior after leading LCA to their second-straight state title and passing for 1,427 yards and 22 touchdowns.

Cedric Sanderson – 6-5, 205, WR, Lely HS, Marco Island, Fla.
Senior-year letterwinner … first-team all-county honoree as a senior, while being named to the Southwest Florida honorable-mention team … all-state honoree as a basketball player.

Timothy Smith – 6-4, 230, DL, T.W. Andrews HS, High Point, N.C.
Two-year letterwinner … finished his career with 170 tackles, (123 solo and 47 assisted), 11 sacks, 24 tackles for a loss, 15 pass breakups and 22 quarterback hurries … 93 tackles (69 solos and 24 assisted), six sacks, 13 tackles for a loss, seven pass breakups and nine quarterback hurries as a junior … was named to the all-conference team as a senior as he finished the year with 77 tackles (54 solo and 23 assisted), five sacks, 13 quarterback hurries, 11 tackles for a loss and eight pass breakups … member of the FCA and Young Men of Distinction.

Pierre Tinsley – 6-1, 215, QB/LB, Amherst HS, Amherst, Va.
Four-year starter on the varsity team … finished his prep career with over 6,000 total offensive yards and 50 touchdowns … honorable-mention all-state at quarterback … Seminole District Player of the Year … Regional Offensive Player of the Year … FCA member … three-year letterwinner in basketball.

Antonio Tassara – 6-8, 310, OL, Barron Collier HS, Naples, Fla.
Offensive letterwinner as a junior … named Barron Collier’s Offensive Lineman of the Year during his senior season in just his second year of football.

Timothy Torrence – 5-8, 165, DB, Miami Adasen, Miramar, Fla.
Three-year letterwinner … 48 tackles (37 solo and 11 assisted), two fumble recoveries, eight pass breakups and five tackles for a loss as a sophomore … 76 tackles (48 solo and 28 assisted), two interceptions, nine pass breakups, two forced fumbles and four tackles for a loss as a junior … 89 tackles (56 solo and 33 assists), two sacks, four forced fumbles, eight tackles for a loss and six pass breakups as a senior.

Andrew Trowbridge – 6-0, 230, LB/FB, Warner Christian Academy, Port Orange, Fla.
Four-year letterwinner … two-time first-team all-county and first-team all-state (Class IA) … named his team’s Most Valuable Player twice (sophomore and junior season) … finished his sophomore year with 1,876 yards on 185 carries and 24 touchdowns, while adding 166 tackles (112 solo and 54 assisted), five tackles for a loss and five sacks … recorded 987 yards rushing and 17 touchdowns as a junior, while adding 130 tackles (87 solo and 43 assisted), four tackles for a loss, six sacks and an interception … eight-time member of the academic honor roll.

Justin Vargas – 6-6, 290, OL, Trinity Christian Academy, Jacksonville, Fla.
Third-team all-state and third-team All-First Coast as a senior … played in the Shrine Bowl as a senior.

Soren Wendland, 6-8, 285, DL, Amandus-Abendroth Gymnasium, Cuxhaven, Germany
Played for the Hamburg Blue Devils in the German Football League … was the youngest starter in the German Football League … played for the junior national team in 2004 and was a four-time all-star.

Anthony Wright – 6-2, 195, DL, Highland Springs HS, Richmond, Va.
Finished his senior season with 35 tackles, including 12 tackles for a loss and six sacks … also added 10 quarterback pressures, one pass breakup and three fumble recoveries, while recording a defensive touchdown.

Terry Williams – 5-9, 175, RB, Miami Central HS, Miami, Fla.
Four-year letterwinner … broke the high school sophomore record with 1,100 yards rushing and was named the team’s most valuable player … finished his senior season ranked second in Dade County in touchdowns.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
great class! 10 players from florida...this is like old school rutigliano days. GMTM said that coach rocco addressed his immed. needs at DB, LB, QB, both lines. man im pumped for this season...also a big I-A player could be headed our way as well.....more news later with all credit given to GMTM from our phone call on his way to longwood.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Looks like a very promising group. I would like to see some of the other schools who made them offers, I usually find that most interesting. Hopefully we can turn things around very quickly and become respectable again in the short term and once again become ranked in the top 25 in the longer term. It will probably take some time to recover, but looks like a good start. Go LU.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A bunch of those Florida kids are track guys. I love recruiting speed.

:)
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Looks like a very promising group. I would like to see some of the other schools who made them offers, I usually find that most interesting. Hopefully we can turn things around very quickly and become respectable again in the short term and once again become ranked in the top 25 in the longer term. It will probably take some time to recover, but looks like a good start. Go LU.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I located 3 of the recruits on the College Sports database: Andy Trowbridge, Terry Adams, and Terry Williams. Looking forward to seeing who the other 1A transferes are.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here are the position breakdowns:

Offense:
QB/Athlete: 2
RB: 1
OL: 3
WR: 1

Defense:
DL: 5
LB: 5
DB: 6

Obviously some of these kids can play on either side of the ball (a total of five signees played QB in high school). I'm just projecting based on the information we have right now. But there was clearly an emphasis on strengthening both of our lines and the defense in general. I think this meets all the needs we had discussed outside of a kicker. But at this point I don't see us using a scholie on kicker.

I also think it says quite a bit about the staff loading up on high schoolers and not going to the quick fix JUCOs. Clearly the staff is trying to build something longterm. Considering the tough schedule we have to start off the season, that takes soem courage. I would be tempted to grab some JUCOs to just as a bandaid. But Coach Rocco is doing this the right way.

As you learn about preferred walk-ons and I-A transfers please post them in this forum.
By PastorZack
Registration Days Posts
Why is there only 1 Texan? If they need some contacts in TX, i'll be glad to give some to them. I'm sure my dad has plenty of kids that could play for LU. :lol:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for joining us, Zack. I agree wholeheartedly on the need for Texas talent. But considering the short amount of time Rocco and his staff had to work with I completely understand.

BTW you need to head over to the Chapel forum as well.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
wow- 5 linemen over 270, and 2 of them WELL over 300.

I'm guessing they may have to drop a couple pounds though, unless they're incredibly mobile. The game is a little faster, even at AA level.

really excited about the big uglies prospects helping out in the next couple years
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone know the size of our lines before or the size of UVA's lines? I'll look it up but I know there are some stat pros on this board who may know off hand...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
thanks to CCU's board for tipping us off to this one. We have a guy on the list (they don't :D )

RB's

16. Terry Williams 5-9/175 Miami, FL (Miami Central) Liberty
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I sustained a head injury last week. Thats my exuse and I'm sticking to it. :shock:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It appears we have added another signee according to a fishwrap in South Florida:
Also Broward Christian football players Andrew Williams signed with St. Lawrence in New York while Ronald Mayfield signed with Liberty University.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... -headlines

I haven't been able to find much about this kid. But welcome to the mountain nonetheless.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]