Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By #3
Registration Days
Apparently, LU entered into a contract and starting next year, all sports will be sponsored by Nike. That means Nike gear for all sports, however, the stuff won't be free like big programs such as UNC or Va. Tech.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
So if we're not getting the free stuff (meaning, we're paying for it), what's the point of having them as a sponsor?
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Maybe Nike will sell it to us, the fans? We better not wind up with those gay jersey's miami has with a random line on our backs and a few triangles here and there.

Or maybe we're just talking cleats and socks.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm guessing there is some marketing aspect to this deal that is beneficial to the school or there would be no point. There is probably a deal to produce replica jerseys for sale in the area.

The good news is that we will be ditching our current gear giving the school a golden opportunity to sell off the gameworn gear to the public. When Texas switched from Reebok to Nike a few years ago they had garage sale-type deals for each sport where they sold the old gear to raise money for their programs. Baseball, softball, soccer ... all the non-revenues sold some cool stuff (football & mens hoops I believe gave their gear to major donors to the Longhorn Foundation). I just missed getting to the baseball sale in time. They were selling gameworn jerseys for $15 apiece. If we have a similar type deal I am all over buying some jerseys. I'd have the entire Sly Fox clan decked out.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
VT had those jerseys too. I call them the court jester look.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
It probably couldn't hurt in recruiting, either.

It may be a stretch, but a recruit comes and sees that LU is sponsered by Nike, it kind of sends a signal to "hey, they're not playing around about getting noticed.."

May be a stretch, but eh?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
where's our guy PROTO to explain the intricacies of this one?

Maybe HMO knows something as well?
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I'm going over to a coach's house tonight to watch the game, so I'll find out then...I doubt it though, b/c a few teams just signed and have a VERY good relationship with adidas...
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I'm not finding much evidence to support the assumption that all sports are now with Nike...the coach I spent tonight with said he hasnt heard anything and really hopes it isnt true b/c he just signed a 3 year deal with someone else! He said he hasnt heard anything but then again they didnt tell the coach's that a new Ad was hired...i'll find more out this week
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote: He said he hasnt heard anything but then again they didnt tell the coach's that a new Ad was hired...
communication not a strong suit right now down on the mountain? :lol:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Whatever happened w/ this?
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
communication not a strong suit right now down on the mountain? :lol:
Is it ever?
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Like I said before, there are several teams hoping this is not the case since they have contracts with other companies and they wouldnt end until a few years
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
But by now do we actually know how true any of this is?
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
this is very true
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
are you saying very true simply b/c MBB signed a contract with Nike? Or do you know from Barber that the University has signed a contract, b/c there are a lot of coach's that would like to know, I have talked to 3 different coach's in 3 different sports who have yet to be informed, maybe it's b/c of the change in the admin, but either way they arent aware of a university switch, I'm going to get a 100% tomorrow though and put this thing to rest
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
im good friends with dominic bolden on the football team, and he has told me
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
anybody know whats the dealio w/ this?

my money is on Libertine for the scoop here.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
As far as I have been told, LU Athleticshas signed a contract w/ Nike for all sports. Some of our other sports are not fans of the move and understandably so because those coaches have cultivated prior relationships w/ other companies. However, -- again, from what I've been told -- all sports will be using exclusively Nike gear by 2007.
Last edited by Libertine on July 6th, 2006, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
less than 1 hour- nicely done.

somebody pay the man
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Yessssss! I love what Nike has been doing recently!

Who else would think to use diamond plating on the knees and shoulders!

And who could forget the court jester look?

Hopefully we're just using them to produce our own designs?
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Hopefully we're just using them to produce our own designs?
Yes. Our relationship with them is, at this point, strictly as a manufacturer.
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
basketball has been nike indorsed for a while now
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
that's great- but it was alleged earlier that the stuff wouldn't be free :assuming we're not important enough, like Gonzaga maybe 8)

so how does this benefit us? Seems to me it would be better to go w/ a company that would sponsor our teams for the advertising or marketing itself.

then again, what do I know. Nothing about this stuff- not that it stops me from sounding off.

EDIT: here's the statement to which I was referring:
#3 wrote:Apparently, LU entered into a contract and starting next year, all sports will be sponsored by Nike. That means Nike gear for all sports, however, the stuff won't be free like big programs such as UNC or Va. Tech.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]