Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
As most of you may or may not know, my job is as an employee of the U specifically within the football department. This allows me to have a unique perspective on goings-on here which, from time to time, I have shared on this board. However, August camp starts on Wednesday and, for the next four months, this will likely diminish if not curtail the amount of time and energy I can expend here. I will, as circumstances permit, continue to read and post on Flamefans.com giving updates and recaps of what's going on in practice and on the field. However, regardless of the occasion, there are some topics that I will not discuss for the next four months or so, either because it would be either a possible NCAA violation, a possible violation of medical confidentiality or simply improper for me to do so.
I will not discuss any coaching decisions, personnel decisions or injury situations. Anything that anybody needs to know about any of that can be procured through Mr. Lang and his conversations w/ Coach Rocco or Coach's weekly reports to the Flames Club. So, don't ask me. Thank you all for your understanding.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
We all appreciate your inside information on the football team but you are right, some things are best not to be discussed on the board. Looking forward to traing camp beginning and seeing what developes during that time.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
BTW ... there are some things I won't discuss, either ... specifics of what's going on at practice that I might see, like formations, who's being used where, etc., etc. The coaching staff lets me watch as a courtesy so I can develop a background of knowledge of what's going on with the team. The last thing I need to do is tick off the coaching staff by saying "hey, I saw Rocco using Zach Terrell in four different positions and they worked on this trick play" at practice. I'd suggest anyone here who attends practices do the same. No need to share trade secrets of a team on a message board where anyone can read them (i.e., opponents).

I would lose my access, and the trust of my sources, pretty quickly if I did that. What goes on in practice, generally, is considered off the record material. If Rocco wants to comment on it, great, then it becomes on the record. But I've been around the game long enough to know what's in bounds and out of bounds when it comes to practice reports.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I second that as well Chris...This year there will be more stuff for fans to be able to hear and read with the new web-site.... The Audio/Video section will be used alot, I don't think I have said this lately but I can't wait for football to start!!!!
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
I can't wait to see what the team brings to the table.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote: I would lose my access, and the trust of my sources, pretty quickly if I did that. What goes on in practice, generally, is considered off the record material. If Rocco wants to comment on it, great, then it becomes on the record. But I've been around the game long enough to know what's in bounds and out of bounds when it comes to practice reports.
Thanks, Chris. I should amend that what I said earlier about recapping practice was in reference to what I did during spring in that Player X might be performing well. If someone from this board ever posts our practice formations on the internet, they ought to be banned for life. And then shot.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for everything, Libertine. I agree about the practice stuff. Hopefully people know how to use private messages to discuss that stuff.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Libertine wrote:
Chris Lang wrote: I would lose my access, and the trust of my sources, pretty quickly if I did that. What goes on in practice, generally, is considered off the record material. If Rocco wants to comment on it, great, then it becomes on the record. But I've been around the game long enough to know what's in bounds and out of bounds when it comes to practice reports.
Thanks, Chris. I should amend that what I said earlier about recapping practice was in reference to what I did during spring in that Player X might be performing well. If someone from this board ever posts our practice formations on the internet, they ought to be banned for life. And then shot.
Right, Lib, I know exactly what you're saying. Speaking in generalities is one thing. Speaking in specifics is wholly another. A guy covering Montana State pretty much got banned by the school because he was reporting specific things in the paper ... formations, game strategies, etc. Football coaches are a paranoid lot to begin with. No need to make them even more paranoid.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That's why the media has been shut out out of practices nearly everywhere on both the college & professional levels in football. A few knuckleheads can ruin things for everybody.

As for injuries, you can report whatever you see with your own eyes without regard to HIPPA. The school just can't release any specific details (i.e. Libertine being careful on here).
By LU'sbestmanger
Registration Days Posts
yea LIB. i know exactly what you mean. during the bball season my lips were shut, and it was mostly just coming on the board and looking, for me.
Last edited by LU'sbestmanger on July 31st, 2006, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
In general, I've always asked the athlete about injuries. Athletic trainers have to worry about going though HIPAA, as Sly stated. As long as the kid tells you what ails him, there's no privacy issue being breached.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]