Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
It's done the waiting is over... here it is......
Rocco Completes Football Coaching Staff

LYNCHBURG, Va. – Liberty University head football coach Danny Rocco has announced the completion of his coaching staff with five members of the previous staff remaining, while four new coaches will be on the sidelines for the Flames’ next year.
Rocco has retained Frank Hickson, Marshall Roberts, Charlie Skalaski, Pete Sundheim and Robert Wimberly from the previous coaching staff. Hickson (Running Backs), Roberts (Defensive Backs), Skalaski (Wide Receivers), Sundheim (Assistant Head Coach/Tight Ends) and Wimberly (Linebackers) will all remain in their same coaching positions, while Skalaski has taken over the responsibilities of Recruiting Coordinator.
The four coaches joining Rocco’s staff are Tom Clark (Defensive Coordinator), Brandon Streeter (Quarterbacks), Scott Wachenkeim (Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line) and Chad Wilt (Defensive Line/Special Teams).

Tom Clark – Defensive Coordinator
Clark comes to Liberty after serving his second stint as head football coach at Catholic University in Washington, D.C. where he has been since 2004, helping rebuild the Division III program. Prior to his most recent stay at Catholic, Clark served as the defensive coordinator at William & Mary from three seasons (2001-04), helping the Tribe to a share of the Atlantic 10 Conference championship in 2001.
Clark first joined the staff at Catholic in 1994 and served as head football coach until he left to go to William & Mary. While at Catholic, Clark compiled an impressive 56-14-1 overall coaching record and boasts of one of the best seven-year runs in Division III history (.792 winning percentage.
Catholic made three-consecutive appearances in the Division III playoffs (1997, 1998 and 1999), while he helped quickly turn the program around as his 1994 squad tied the NCAA record for best turnaround. In 1999, Catholic finished with a 9-2 overall record and claimed the Old Dominion Athletic Conference championship, earning the ODAC title in their first year in the conference.
Clark’s other coaching stints included head coach and athletic director at Bishop McNamara High School in Forestville, Md. (1988-94), graduate assistant coach for the secondary at Colorado (1987-88), assistant coach for the secondary at Catholic (1985-86) and assistant coach at St. John’s College Prep in Washington, D.C. (1983-84).
Clark is a native of the Washington, D.C. area and received his bachelor’s degree in kinesiology from Maryland in 1986. Clark and his wife, Laurie, have two children: Kevin and Samantha.

Scott Wachenkeim – Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line
Wachenkeim comes to Liberty from Rice where he has spent the last 12 years with the Owls, including the past five seasons as offensive coordinator.
Wachenkeim helped Rice build a consistent ball-control offense that has ranked among the nation’s best over the years. During the 2004 season, Rice led the nation in rushing offense (306.5 yards per game), while the Owl’s 2003 squad racked up a school record 3,800 rushing yards and ranked second in the country.
In 2001, Wachenkeim’s offensive prowess enabled Rice to finish the season with a school record 4,846 yards of total offense, while breaking the school record for points scored (333).
Wachenkeim got his collegiate coaching career started as a graduate assistant at Arkansas in 1989-90, helping the Razorbacks to a SWC championship, while also serving one season as a graduate assistant at Colorado in 1991.
Prior to joining the staff at Rice, Wachenkeim served as recruiting coordinator, offensive tackles and tight ends coach at Utah State (1992-93), which included helping the Aggies to a 7-5 record in 1993 and a Big West conference title and a victory in the Las Vegas Bowl.
Wachenkeim was a four-year starter on the offensive line at the Air Force Academy where he earned first team all-WAC honors in 1983 and was named an honorable mention All-American as a senior after guiding the Falcons to a 10-2 record.
Wachenkeim received his bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from Air Force in 1984, while after he fulfilled his military requirements from 1984-89. While commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1984, Wachenkeim also served as the offensive coordinator of the Air Force’s junior varsity football squad. He also earned a master’s in education in athletic administration from Arkansas in 1991.
The native of Woodland Hills, Calif., Wachenkeim and his wife, Karla, have two children: Kyle and Tyson.

Brandon Streeter – Quarterbacks Coach
Streeter comes to Liberty after serving as a graduate assistant coach at Clemson for two years, helping breakdown game film for the Tigers’ offensive units.
Streeter is no stranger to the Tigers’ program as he was a three-year letterwinner at Clemson (1997-99), including starting quarterback his junior and senior season. Streeter broke or tied 11 Clemson records during his career as he threw for 3,506 yards and 17 touchdowns, while ranking seventh in school history in passing yardage and fifth in completion percentage (56.6 percent, 294-for-519).
A three-time member of the ACC Academic Honor Roll, Streeter became Clemson’s inaugural winner of the Brandon Streeter Award in 1999, which is annually given to a student-athlete that has succeeded athletically despite a physical injury.
Streeter earned his bachelor’s degree in health science from Clemson in 1999 and a master’s degree in human resource development from Clemson in 2001. Streeter also brings Big South coaching experience as he served as an assistant coach at Charleston Southern in 2003. He is married to the former Ashleigh Foard.

Chad Wilt – Defensive Line/Special Teams Coach
Wilt comes to Liberty after serving with Rocco at Virginia as a graduate assistant for the two years, working closely with the defensive backs.
Prior to his days at Virginia, Wilt spent three seasons as defensive line coach and special teams coordinator at Central Connecticut State, where he was nominated for the AFLAC National Assistant Coach of the Year award in 2003.
Wilt also coached one season as a student assistant at Taylor University in Upland, Ind., while he spent a spring season as an assistant coach at William & Mary.
Wilt was a three-time all-conference performer at Taylor where he captained the football team as a senior and was twice named a second-team NAIA All-American at defensive end. He was also named to the academic all-conference team twice during his playing career.
Wilt earned his bachelor’s degree in sports management from Taylor in 2000.

Don't forget Coach Rocco will answer your questions at 10AM this morning On This week in Flames Athletics... The number to call in is 1-866-890-0909
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
great work GMTM! im glad ro see rocco retained coach hickson. i met him once and heard one his his posr game talks when the teams huddle up and he sounds like a quality leader. i remember streeter when he played at clemson. we was a pretty good player, and im sure he will do a good job. it really looks like a quality staff, and i can't wait for the season to start.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Nice find, GMTM! Looks like LU got experience in the key slots. Combined with the returners and the three key transfers, this could mean a very bright NEAR future for Flames football.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
I just spoke with Danny about his staff and the transfers and the momentum of the program, etc. Actually, two stories: One on Sunday on the staff and one Monday on recruiting in general.
Last edited by Chris Lang on January 21st, 2006, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
this appears to be a massive infusion of talent on the coaching side of things. Very impressive. The fact that the O and D line coaches are both new gives us a fresh approach- thats gotta be a good thing. Interested to see how the new QB coach works out. Man- is it August yet?
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
It's not yet but trust me I will be sending football stories out from here on out until August...
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Im interested in this guy from Rice...I know we are going ball control but I wouldn't mind seeing more 300-400 yd passing games (Im a vertical pass happy offense homer)
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
if you have ever watched UVA, the flames offense will be similar with a lot of two back sets, and using the tight end quite a bit. rashad and zach in the backfield...man that it nice!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here is Chris' write-up on the staff from the Sunday fishwrap:
Rocco's staff now in place

By Chris Lang
Lynchburg News & Advance
January 22, 2006

Five assistant coaches will return to Liberty University and new head coach Danny Rocco has added four new hires to fill out the staff.

Pete Sundheim (associate head coach/tight ends), Frank Hickson (running backs) and Charlie Skalaski (wide receivers) are holdovers from the offensive staff, and Marshall Roberts (defensive backs) and Robert Wimberly (linebackers) return to the defensive staff.

Skalaski will take on the additional role of recruiting coordinator.

"(They) all have a very, very strong commitment to this university and have a strong commitment to this program," Rocco said.

Two new hires fill the coordinator positions. Former Catholic University coach Tom Clark will be Rocco's defensive coordinator and former Rice assistant coach Scott Wachenkeim will take over as offensive coordinator.

Clark replaces Steve Carson, who did not return to LU after former coach Ken Karcher's dismissal. Karcher didn't have an offensive coordinator.

Clark spent the last two seasons as Catholic's head coach, his second stint at the school. He was the head coach there from 1994-99 before leaving to become the defensive coordinator on Jimmye Laycock's staff at William & Mary.

Rocco and Clark spent time coaching together at Colorado in the late 1980s.

"He's a guy that I've always felt that when this opportunity came my way, he was one of the guys I wanted to hire," Rocco said. "I'm very excited he and his family are going to join us here."

Wachenkeim was Rice's offensive coordinator the last five seasons and helped mold the Owls into one of the nation's most productive rushing teams.

That's not surprising since Rice runs the option and operates mostly out of wishbone and flex sets. That wasn't why Rocco wanted to hire Wachenkeim, though.

"Regardless of what system he was in, I was more concerned with how he philosophically saw the game," Rocco said. "We certainly see it the same way.

"He wants to be physical and tough up front with his offensive linemen and wants to be able to have multiple backs and multiple formations to run out of to set up the play-action pass."

Chad Wilt (defensive line/special teams) and Brandon Streeter (quarterbacks) round out the staff.

Wilt was a graduate assistant at Virginia the last two years and was one of Rocco's first hires, coming aboard last month.

Streeter, a former Clemson quarterback and graduate assistant coach, has some Big South experience. He was an assistant coach at Charleston Southern in 2003.

"I'm really excited about what we were able to accomplish here," Rocco said.
http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Sate ... th=!sports
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:if you have ever watched UVA, the flames offense will be similar with a lot of two back sets, and using the tight end quite a bit. rashad and zach in the backfield...man that it nice!
So we could see some big rushing numbers...very nice! Can somebody say 1500 yard rusher?
CUSA Tournament Las Cruces, NM

If I was there, I'd be thinking about my ex girlfr[…]

2024 Season Thread

I wish. DBU is a bit of a haul even from my locati[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Group of Five schools to unveil all-new Top 25 As […]

Field Hockey

Oh I agree, I was just out of the loop.