Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Disappointed in this game. Aside from the D and Frankie Hickson's play everything else was anemic. Why has our up-tempo offense become non-existent? The first two weeks it was thriving and then it seems that we want to have more of a running game even if it means slowing up the game and messing with the offensive mojo.

For those of you that think KSU will beat us just know they STRUGGLED WITH D-2 North Greenville University today. It took them scoring a late TD to win. The sad thing is the Big South is more down in talent than in recent years. Therefore, I still expect us to finish 9-2. Nevertheless, I am now officially on the fence about Gill. I would be okay if we had a new coach. So thankful for the man and His love for Jesus and his love for his team. But we can find someone who loves Jesus and is a better coach.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Disappointed in this game. Aside from the D and Frankie Hickson's play everything else was anemic. Why has our up-tempo offense become non-existent? The first two weeks it was thriving and then it seems that we want to have more of a running game even if it means slowing up the game and messing with the offensive mojo.

For those of you that think KSU will beat us just know they STRUGGLED WITH D-2 North Greenville University today. It took them scoring a late TD to win. The sad thing is the Big South is more down in talent than in recent years. Therefore, I still expect us to finish 9-2. Nevertheless, I am now officially on the fence about Gill. I would be okay if we had a new coach. So thankful for the man and His love for Jesus and his love for his team. But we can find someone who loves Jesus and is a better coach.
Actually the D didn't play very well either. Numerous tackles missed, rb's getting 12 yards after contact carrying multiple defenders with them. Outside of the 4 sacks, very little pressure on the qb, lots of 3 and longs converted and had many 3 and 1's converted. (They stopped us on 4 and 1, twice), they controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. That is where the games are won and lost. It was obvious their coach has that figured out. Being a former NFL player, it shouldn't come as a big surprise.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:Since this season really doesn’t matter, I guess the coaching staff thought the Baylor game was the only one that mattered.
Didn't see the game. Enjoying time in AZ. But this is a fabulous notion. To preface, it's a horrible loss. Never should happen. A coordinator or two should not have a butt after the chewing theirs receive today.
Having said that, when it comes to exposure, yes, Baylor is the only game that mattered this year. Do you think ESPN is going to run a segment about LU losing to Mr Assis's school? Nope. (Or beating them for that matter). No one cares, apparently including the players. But Baylor.....go back and read that thread. Everyone cared. The only person who raised even the slightest red flag was ridiculed. But now, the OL has truly proven a weak spot and everyone is booking seats on the Fire Gill Wagon. This season, however, will always and forever be remembered as the Season LU beat P5 Baylor. Period. Because no matter how many games LU won or lost this year, none of it mattered. They can't go to a Bowl and they can't go to the Playoffs.
By BigRed1
Purple Haize wrote:
jbock13 wrote:Since this season really doesn’t matter, I guess the coaching staff thought the Baylor game was the only one that mattered.
Didn't see the game. Enjoying time in AZ. But this is a fabulous notion. To preface, it's a horrible loss. Never should happen. A coordinator or two should not have a butt after the chewing theirs receive today.
Having said that, when it comes to exposure, yes, Baylor is the only game that mattered this year. Do you think ESPN is going to run a segment about LU losing to Mr Assis's school? Nope. (Or beating them for that matter). No one cares, apparently including the players. But Baylor.....go back and read that thread. Everyone cared. The only person who raised even the slightest red flag was ridiculed. But now, the OL has truly proven a weak spot and everyone is booking seats on the Fire Gill Wagon. This season, however, will always and forever be remembered as the Season LU beat P5 Baylor. Period. Because no matter how many games LU won or lost this year, none of it mattered. They can't go to a Bowl and they can't go to the Playoffs.
I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Every week that passes by, the win over Baylor losses its luster. It seems as though the only ones who feel this season doesn't matter is TG and his staff. If the win over Baylor was the only goal for this team and the season didn't matter, that's pathetic. If that's as high as our goals are, we should just stay in the BSC and settle for the 6-5 seasons Gill can give us.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Transitioning FCS team losing to a partial scholarship NEC team. People will remember it especially the people who we’re trying to sell the program to. Good luck selling seats next year. I’m glad people will always remember beating a more than likely winless Baylor team. Baylor=Kansas. Who cares.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I would say that most definitely all of the games we play matter, for numerous reasons. First of all, people pay good money to watch this debacle. Secondly, every game should be a teachable/growing moment for every one of these players. It is a foundation to build upon. It means a lot when it comes to recruiting more/better players. It means a lot to the university, it is important if/when other conferences get over their bigoted, intolerant stance toward our university and administration, I could go on and on.
It is embarrassing that we lose to a team like this. Based on our talent level, this is probably the worst loss in school history, (and that is saying something). Bottom line we were out-coached, out-played and showed very little desire. 90% of that falls on the coaching staff. During the 4th quarter, I spent a good deal of time watching coach Gill. I never saw him trying to motivate any of the other coaches or team groups. He was just staring at his clipboard and walking around with no perceptible sense of urgency.
Sigmo said it best, if their is a coaching transition coming (and there certainly should be), make it right after this season and shorten the adjustment period to 2-3 years instead of 5-6. Clearly TG is not the guy to lead us forward. I was hoping he was, but after 5+ years it has become increasingly evident, even to those with a modicum of football knowledge, he is definitely not our guy.
Streeter4life. 8)
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
15,886 in attendance for Hall of Fame Weekend/CFAW/Band Parents Weekend is pathetic. Maybe they should have offered more than 2,000 fidget spinners.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I was told that the Clemson and VT game hurt attendance, especially on the West side of stadium. A lot of people were also probably expecting LU to win in a blow out, thus stayed away.
By willflop
ballcoach15 wrote:I was told that the Clemson and VT game hurt attendance, especially on the West side of stadium. A lot of people were also probably expecting LU to win in a blow out, thus stayed away.
Agreed, even our OC was at the VT game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I was told that the Clemson and VT game hurt attendance, especially on the West side of stadium. A lot of people were also probably expecting LU to win in a blow out, thus stayed away.
This has always been the risk of LU going FBS.
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
This has always been the risk of LU going FBS.
I think we will grow some(given some changes to the staff) with the opponents we are bringing in. It becomes harder to "skip" a game as a die hard and a great "what are you doing Saturday?" For the rest of Lynchburg. As long as we can be respectable in the transition years, we shouldn't have a problem drawing fans.

A coaching change and new stadium for the ODU game could actually see capacity at 25000. I don't think we will hit that every game, but I'm interested to see if McCaw brings ticket prices down even further to ensure we fill up week after week.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I'm interested to see if McCaw brings ticket prices down even further to ensure we fill up week after week.
Going FBS and dropping ticket prices while building a new stadium? I was expecting just the opposite--ticket prices going UP. :fineprint
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I'm interested to see if McCaw brings ticket prices down even further to ensure we fill up week after week.
Going FBS and dropping ticket prices while building a new stadium? I was expecting just the opposite--ticket prices going UP. :fineprint
Personally I would bait and switch the prices. 3-4 years of reduced prices. Condition Lynchburg into associating Saturday nights in the fall with the Liberty Football experience. Then raise the temperature gradually. $5 more in 2022, maybe $5 more in 2026.

I would rather have 24k at $15 than 19k at $20. Sure, there's a slight financial advantage at $20($380k vs $360k), but the benefit of a full stadium week after week, on LFSN, to the fans, to the home field advantage far outweighs any financial hit.

Others might disagree, it's just how I would would run it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Chippy wrote:Or you can stay home, or your dorm and watch it for free on local Lynchburg TV.
Blackouts coming
Again, that’s always been an issue. It wasn’t that long ago you could get free tickets at a gas station. But since there has been a consistent cost associated with a ticket and games on TV attendance has gone up (then back down once it had to be counted for reelz). The LU folks have done a tremendous job with their Game Day experience. They have gone out of their way to make it a Family Friendly Destination. Will that change now that they are full speed FBS? I dunno.
I do know if they start to black out games it will hurt the product Unless you can get them on ESPN3. But LU FB is still an unknown product and people will want to sample (watch on tv) before they buy
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There are too many people in Lynchburg who stay home and watch games on TV, rather than come to stadium. Blackout games might be an option to increase attendance.
As for game day experience, the whole thing needs to be tweaked. Currently it's all about showing students on video board and PA system noise, 99% of the time ball isn't in the air or in hands of a player. Crowd noise is good when fans are making it, but much of noise comes from PA system. I have seen PA system drown out the Refs microphone after plays.
Also we need to go back to showing "out of town scores" on ribbon board on west side.
I would love to see a game where PA system goes out for entire game.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:There are too many people in Lynchburg who stay home and watch games on TV, rather than come to stadium. Blackout games might be an option to increase attendance.
As for game day experience, the whole thing needs to be tweaked. Currently it's all about showing students on video board and PA system noise, 99% of the time ball isn't in the air or in hands of a player. Crowd noise is good when fans are making it, but much of noise comes from PA system. I have seen PA system drown out the Refs microphone after plays.
Also we need to go back to showing "out of town scores" on ribbon board on west side.
Next thing you know, they’ll start playing all that BOOM BOOM BOOM music too!
By Class of 20Something
Game breaks to highlights of other games, especially the locals, and whomever we build a rivalry with would be huge between quarters. Having a ribbon board on the student side will be a welcome addition.

IM should have some ideas most of us haven't considered too.

When the south end of the stadium is fixed and it doesn't take half an hour to walk around, that will help too. I can't help but think the lack of sufficient concessions and bathrooms on the student side hast hurt that as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:There are too many people in Lynchburg who stay home and watch games on TV, rather than come to stadium. Blackout games might be an option to increase attendance.
Your false assumption is that people watching on TV would go to the game if it was not on TV
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I would think that raising ticket prices is not a good idea for a few years. Reason being, unless we get a new coach, who can make a sudden and dramatic turnaround, we are going to have a few losing seasons coming up. You can give away free tickets and not many people will come watch a team lose. By the same token, you can charge almost any price you want for a winning program and people will pay it.
I don't see a lot of hope for winning seasons coming in the next 4-5 years (at least), in our current situation, raising ticket prices will be a bigger negative. I have been a season ticket holder 30+ years, can't remember the last time I missed a home game, probably during the Karcher era. However, I am not going to make that 2 1/2 hour drive, one way, to watch us lose 90% of our home games.
Family Travel Obsession

I am with you, TH Spangler. I love the mountains i[…]

5 plus 7 model

[rob lowe voice]I am LITERALLY in Dublin next we[…]

Prayers please

My neighborhood in Gambrills was great. Great f[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]