Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
A win is a win but we nearly just let an 0-4 FCS team drive 99 yards to win.
That was brutal
By tyndal23
1 heroic play from a “ laughing stock “nationally. Our D Line is way down, LB is 2/10 slower in the 40, back 5 are not nearly as good as last year - but I still like this D -for all G5 schedule....K Salt needs a weekly enema.
By AATL
As HCJC said, it's better to fix issues after a win than a loss. Tip of the cap to the SHSU front seven, who ate LU alive at the line and did not get beat on the edges. Who knows if RB injuries limited the playbook, but it felt like the pass game was entirely feast-or-famine and lacked any quick routes to get in a rhythm. More often, it was the latter with Salter not quite his sharpest on deep balls.

On a more positive note, it's good to see the rush defense stay home to the tune of 3.3 YPC for SHSU. Pressure was lacking on dropbacks though, and if I'm Rich Rod, I'm watching SHSU repeatedly get the ball out quickly on slants with success and taking note for Tuesday.

I try very hard not to bemoan officiating, but the two very very late SHSU substitutions were just plain bizarre. It's not like Liberty subbed egregiously late, nor were the SHSU in a hurry to get in place. Twice (once a timeout and once a delay of game) the official was still pausing the snap with the play clock under two. The unexplained pause on the final drive was also bizarre, but I'm not sure it was of much benefit or detriment to either team.
By Ill flame
This was about the second worst case scenario for us behind losing. Not only did we scrape by and look like a team that doesnt deserve national media attention but now we have even more injuries piling up with another game in 5 days against a very well coached team. I just hope this is the mid season wake up call we need to keep guys from getting complacent through these midweek games.

I wouldn't mind seeing Xavier Gray get benched at LT for a little while after that performance. It seems like he got beat almost every play and left salter scrambling if it wasn't a quick hitting pass. While we are at it unfortunately it's time to reopen the kicking competition again. If we just make our short FGs it wouldn't have been a one score game at the end.
By Tnobes
Ill flame wrote: October 5th, 2023, 11:41 pm This was about the second worst case scenario for us behind losing. Not only did we scrape by and look like a team that doesnt deserve national media attention but now we have even more injuries piling up with another game in 5 days against a very well coached team. I just hope this is the mid season wake up call we need to keep guys from getting complacent through these midweek games.

I wouldn't mind seeing Xavier Gray get benched at LT for a little while after that performance. It seems like he got beat almost every play and left salter scrambling if it wasn't a quick hitting pass. While we are at it unfortunately it's time to reopen the kicking competition again. If we just make our short FGs it wouldn't have been a one score game at the end.
So winning a close game is the 2nd worst scenario behind losing? Study genius! What a deep football mind
By Ill flame
Tnobes wrote: October 5th, 2023, 11:58 pm
Ill flame wrote: October 5th, 2023, 11:41 pm This was about the second worst case scenario for us behind losing. Not only did we scrape by and look like a team that doesnt deserve national media attention but now we have even more injuries piling up with another game in 5 days against a very well coached team. I just hope this is the mid season wake up call we need to keep guys from getting complacent through these midweek games.

So winning a close game is the 2nd worst scenario behind losing? Study genius! What a deep football mind
I could've explained myself better, I was thinking more about the injuries than the score. I would've preferred a close win with no injuries than a blowout win with multiple injuries like we had.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
@Ill flame you explained yourself fine. @Tnobes simply didn’t comprehend beyond the first sentence, which he himself bolded.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Air Force and BYU struggled almost as much as we did with Sam Houston. The media will use this as an example of how we don’t deserve respect but we had a lot of things do wrong (penalties, missed FGs, etc) and still won.

5-0 at this point is, even with the nail biter last night, is much better than than anyone expected to start the year. At Jax State will be the toughest test. Let’s see how we do.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
The referees penalty flags we all legit penalties. The way they managed the game was terrible. Allowing SHS to slow play the substitutions was unconscionable. They allowed the defense to substitute multiple waves of players. The spirit of the rule is to allow the defense to substitute in one wave. The game stoppage on the last few plays was terrible.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
If Liberty plays like this on Tuesday, it's an L. We need to play like we did the first four games of the season if we're going to win. Tuesday is going to tell more about this team than the rest of the season - how do they bounce back after a lackluster showing and a short turnaround.
Tnobes liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I have just a few thoughts/frustrations.

First, the offense was definitely sluggish. Missed assignments on the O-line. Brain farts by skill players at various points. Too many negative plays (either penalties/self-inflicted or the refs). All that to say, we STILL had almost 450 net yards on offense. We left a lot of points on that field between the kicking game struggles and our own stupidity. SHSU is 0-5, but their defense is not an 0-5 defense. They've played a tough schedule and held Air Force and BYU to low scores/production.

Second, our game management/media staff need to get their crap together. So many times coming back from a media timeout (~15 seconds left) they start playing music when WE have the ball. I don't get it. If we're on Defense, go HAM... play loud music and play Taylor Swift for the females in the crowd. But for the love of God please stop playing hype songs while our team has the ball. And on the subject of Taylor Swift music... we AGAIN got burned by playing her music while we were on O at their 5 yd line. Play her on Defense only PLEASE.

Third, the refs were absolute garbage. Whoever was the sideline judge on the SHSU side needs to be relegated to youth rec leagues. He threw two markers (that were going to be against LU) that had to be picked up and explained by the head ref as to why on rather well-known situations. IE, if your QB is outside the pocket and clearly throwing the ball away there is no PI to be called on the DBs. Also, the same guy had his flag duct taped to his belt when #97 on the SHSU yeeted Kaidon Salter on their sideline after the play was clearly over, but then turned around and threw a very late/suspect flag for PI on Singleton on the last drive. Not to mention the odd timeout down inside our ten yard line for nothing. It absolutely gave them an advantage. If you go back and watch they stop the play and the head ref comes over to our sideline to confer with the SL judge on our side. They turn around and break up our teams huddle, but did NOTHING to SHSU's huddle. They let it continue. Just bonkers.

Proud of our D... need to get our heads back in the game on Offense and sign me as a kicker. I have video of makes from 40 and 45yds. Hit me up Chadwell.
By rtb72
LUGrad2000 wrote: October 6th, 2023, 8:23 am The referees penalty flags we all legit penalties. The way they managed the game was terrible. Allowing SHS to slow play the substitutions was unconscionable. They allowed the defense to substitute multiple waves of players. The spirit of the rule is to allow the defense to substitute in one wave. The game stoppage on the last few plays was terrible.
It wasn't the flags they threw so much as the ones they didn't....SH put KSalt in the front row on one play......no flag.

PS: Apparently, visiting teams to The Bill get FOUR timeouts, now.
By jmclaughlin
The real:
1. SH's front 7 may be the best we play until a bowl game. Experience, depth and those LB's are fast! They know what they are doing and play their assignments well
2. Because of #1, our O was predictable. Small gain + Small gain + Kaidon improvisation = inconsistency
3. Kicking game was just off. Not just the awful 2 FG attempts but even the kickoffs were barely making it to the goal line in 0 wind (might have been schematic?).
4. Easy, first drive TD score seemed to take the focus off. Just seemed to be flat after that.

The Fandom view:
5. Brylan Green is good! He made some great plays and SH went away from him most of the 2nd half as a result.
6. CJ Daniels has arrived. You could see the trust that #7 has in in #4 when a play breaks down. Just throw it up and he is good to catch it or no one else will. AGG flashbacks.
7. Our fanbase showed up. If anyone glanced over to the much better matchup with LT - WKU, we looked like a Power 5 atmosphere by comparison.
8. The D stood up in crunch time. That Defensive stand to end it should be viewed the same as a 60 yard bomb to win it. Good to see the D finish the game on a high note.

Do it again 4 days from now!
rtb72, Redbonebandit, Tnobes and 3 others liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/MBakerTBTimes/status/179807774066471[…]

Family Travel Obsession

If you have a rental car in Paris this summer, b[…]

5 plus 7 model

I wouldn't build this up and get your hopes up t[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now […]