Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
Out of curiosity which team would you'll rather play against in a bowl?

1) 1 loss Indiana team ranked in the top 8

2) undefeated BYU team also in the top 10

3) 3 loss Auburn team ranked around 15

4) Undefeated Marshall team ranked in top 12

5) 2 loss Oklahoma team ranked in top 12
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Yea that would be nice. I really wish our communication was that we're working towards being a P5 equivalent. Ian always says we want to be the best among the G5, which I understand that's what we are right now. We are G5 because we aren't in a P5 conference. But it would be super helpful in our trajectory IMO if our messaging was look, we're here and we're happy, but we're not happy to stay here. Our goal is to be P5. We want to be that and we're going to schedule that way. Sure most people would smirk and get a good laugh at us for that, some of you would as well i am sure, but I truly think stating those intentions would help recruiting and go a long way in keeping a guy like freeze. I wish there was someone else on this board who advocated for this :P
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: November 13th, 2020, 12:01 am Out of curiosity which team would you'll rather play against in a bowl?

For me it's:

1. BYU (Undefeated vs Undefeated)
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn

I'd be happy in any order of those really followed by:

4. Indiana
5. Marshall
By Ill flame
Liberty22 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 12:04 am Yea that would be nice. I really wish our communication was that we're working towards being a P5 equivalent. Ian always says we want to be the best among the G5, which I understand that's what we are right now. We are G5 because we aren't in a P5 conference. But it would be super helpful in our trajectory IMO if our messaging was look, we're here and we're happy, but we're not happy to stay here. Our goal is to be P5. We want to be that and we're going to schedule that way. Sure most people would smirk and get a good laugh at us for that, some of you would as well i am sure, but I truly think stating those intentions would help recruiting and go a long way in keeping a guy like freeze. I wish there was someone else on this board who advocated for this :P
I'm slowly coming around to this although it has its flaws. We will never become a true P5 equivalent like notre dame but with enough time we could get to the level BYU is at right now. 5-6 P5 schools plus some strong G5 teams. This type of schedule is funner than our current schedule but is it the best route towards our lofty goals? BYU recruits like an AAC school despite the tough schedule, can't play for a conference championship and has no direct path to the playoffs or even a NY6 bowl.

I'm all for trying it until we get an offer to join the AAC or better but this seems like more of a contingency plan to me.
Liberty22 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: November 13th, 2020, 12:01 am Out of curiosity which team would you'll rather play against in a bowl?

#3, because they're SEC school. If indiana is a Top 10 team, then Liberty should be in Top 5. Big 10 will not be have played enough games to warrant any spot in any poll.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BYU v LU in any Bowl Game would draw a lot of eyes
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Be hard for that matchup to happen. The bowls will need to slot those crummy 5-5 teams into bowl tie ins. This year many of those normal,500 teams will go bowling with a losing record. They should have had a rule that no team with a winning record can be passed over, by a losing team.
ACC and B10 tie ins seem to be the worst.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 2:39 pm Be hard for that matchup to happen. The bowls will need to slot those crummy 5-5 teams into bowl tie ins. This year many of those normal,500 teams will go bowling with a losing record. They should have had a rule that no team with a winning record can be passed over, by a losing team.
ACC and B10 tie ins seem to be the worst.
Only because ACC is so poor this year. VT is really dragging them down. B1G looks to be much better than ACC.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Big 10 is Ohio State and "the others". I hate Ohio State, but Big 10 should be renamed Big 1. Their entire schedule is catered to Buckholes making playoffs.
By LUDad
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: November 13th, 2020, 1:48 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 13th, 2020, 11:44 am BYU v LU in any Bowl Game would draw a lot of eyes
Yes it would, but BYU is scary good.
This game is very possible since BYU's bowl tie-ins are with ESPN Events. So if Cincinnati gets that game (NY6) and we keep winning, it may very well happen.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 9:42 pm If it were to happen, what venue would it be at
I know where @tyndal23 would like it to be held
SumItUp liked this
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: November 13th, 2020, 1:16 am
Liberty22 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 12:04 am Yea that would be nice. I really wish our communication was that we're working towards being a P5 equivalent. Ian always says we want to be the best among the G5, which I understand that's what we are right now. We are G5 because we aren't in a P5 conference. But it would be super helpful in our trajectory IMO if our messaging was look, we're here and we're happy, but we're not happy to stay here. Our goal is to be P5. We want to be that and we're going to schedule that way. Sure most people would smirk and get a good laugh at us for that, some of you would as well i am sure, but I truly think stating those intentions would help recruiting and go a long way in keeping a guy like freeze. I wish there was someone else on this board who advocated for this :P
I'm slowly coming around to this although it has its flaws. We will never become a true P5 equivalent like notre dame but with enough time we could get to the level BYU is at right now. 5-6 P5 schools plus some strong G5 teams. This type of schedule is funner than our current schedule but is it the best route towards our lofty goals? BYU recruits like an AAC school despite the tough schedule, can't play for a conference championship and has no direct path to the playoffs or even a NY6 bowl.

I'm all for trying it until we get an offer to join the AAC or better but this seems like more of a contingency plan to me.
Why do you say we will never become a P5 Equivalent like ND ? We control the scheduling. It would take playing a lot of one off games away for a few tears but we are the ONLY school if it decided to, could go take less $ on the road and pay a whole lot more for bottom P5 teams to do 1 for 1. Just takes 1 conference to decide that we count as a P5 game and the rest is easy. ACCdoesnt even have to do a formal scheduling Agreement - but it would be easy to book all the NCand VA schools just due to locatIon. Every 2 years they don’t play ND they play us and we could make it financially attractive at first for them as well if necessary. BYU needs to add more P5 games not less. You play 8 - 9 P5 and equivalent ( BYU and Army as 2 )and you are there. The other factor getting ND and BYU pushing NCAA for a 13th game between top 2 Indies at end of year and you have the data points for CFP.
Liberty22 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Those who know me know my pick:

LU vs. Marshall, esp. if both teams are undefeated. :shock:

My second choice would be LU vs. BYU.
phoenix liked this
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 10:15 pm

Why do you say we will never become a P5 Equivalent like ND ? We control the scheduling. It would take playing a lot of one off games away for a few tears but we are the ONLY school if it decided to, could go take less $ on the road and pay a whole lot more for bottom P5 teams to do 1 for 1. Just takes 1 conference to decide that we count as a P5 game and the rest is easy. ACCdoesnt even have to do a formal scheduling Agreement - but it would be easy to book all the NCand VA schools just due to locatIon. Every 2 years they don’t play ND they play us and we could make it financially attractive at first for them as well if necessary. BYU needs to add more P5 games not less. You play 8 - 9 P5 and equivalent ( BYU and Army as 2 )and you are there. The other factor getting ND and BYU pushing NCAA for a 13th game between top 2 Indies at end of year and you have the data points for CFP.
We control our schedule but the other team 1) has to be available and 2) has to agree to play us. BYU is trying to play as many P5 schools as possible and they are running into the same problem we will. The nonconference part of the schedule for most teams is during the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season and one nonconference game towards the end. BYU has really been struggling to fill the middle of the schedule with decent teams. 2021 was the best case for BYU. 7 P5 teams, Boise St and an AAC school. Hopefully we can make BYU a yearly series during the middle of the season to help fill that gap but it'll always be a challenge.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 10:34 pm I have a vision of Liberty being in ACC, SEC or Big 12, within next 5 years.
Being that this was stated on Friday night at 9:30, I would hope you were in the bag, to make this comment. 8) 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 15th, 2020, 2:07 pm Read Habakkuk 2:1-3
Are you claiming to be an Old Testament Prophet now?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 15th, 2020, 3:31 pm
Did you read those 3 verses ? If not, get your bible and read 'em.

I might suggest to CiderJim to use that scripture for an upcoming Sunday School Class.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 15th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 15th, 2020, 3:31 pm
Did you read those 3 verses ? If not, get your bible and read 'em.

I might suggest to CiderJim to use that scripture for an upcoming Sunday School Class.
You didn’t answer the question
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: November 14th, 2020, 12:34 am
tyndal23 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 10:15 pm

We control our schedule but the other team 1) has to be available and 2) has to agree to play us. BYU is trying to play as many P5 schools as possible and they are running into the same problem we will. The nonconference part of the schedule for most teams is during the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season and one nonconference game towards the end. BYU has really been struggling to fill the middle of the schedule with decent teams. 2021 was the best case for BYU. 7 P5 teams, Boise St and an AAC school. Hopefully we can make BYU a yearly series during the middle of the season to help fill that gap but it'll always be a challenge.
Research it a little harder. We can play 7 per year minimum plus BYU and Army count as P5 equivalent for many conferences so there is 9 games - which is plenty for our first 5 years until we get in to an informal scheduling agreement with ACC for teams that don’t play ND that given 2 year period. .Where BYU has an issue is insisting on 6 home games and no they haven’t been trying to play as many P5 games as possible. ND scheduled 10 a year with no problems before their ACC scheduling agreement.
Election 2022 and 2024

All of this is why I just can’t believe […]

Prayers please

Apparently there's someone that's looking at it to[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazetten[…]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

It's good to see us bringing in some quality recru[…]