Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LUminary wrote:About everything lined up for Army today. It's not the end of the world. Digging a hole early against a grinding, ball-control team like Army is a death wish, compounded by the fact they didn't turn the ball over and we had three of 'em. Defense wasn't a disaster, just on the field way too long. Losing the punter early didn't help. Buckshot was off today. The third-and-15 run killed momentum, but no guarantee we would have completed a pass there anyway the way it was going. Just go win next week and move on.
450 yards rushing? ok. 8)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Our offense did not show up until 3rd quarter. Run game was not clicking except for 2 or 3 plays entire game. We should have taken more deep shots in first half.

We were fighting back until that 3rd and 15 running play. That was basically the "ball game" right there.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Matt Hunter wrote:For the portion of Flames Nation screaming Fire Turner Gill: what are some potential replacements that you would like to see that have a legitimate chance at being an option for the Liberty job after this season if it opened up?
We’ve had a thread going for four years about the next coach for Liberty. There’s been a lot of different disagreements on what and who we could pull in.
I have seen some of the lists of people that are interested in coming to LU in a coaching capacity, of a few different sports. Let's just say, I was amazed at first, but no longer. We will have no problem finding a current, or future star. Regardless, it would be easy to get someone better than our current staff. Gill is a great guy, would love to see him stay with the university, just not in a coaching position.
(Maybe we could get him to teach a class on calling a running play, on 3rd and 15, to the short side of the field, in enemy territory. The hard part would be filling up the time after the first 30 seconds. But you never know).
I didn't expect us to win the game, but I didn't expect such a poor game plan/ play-calling and several bad on-field decisions.
Last edited by flameshaw on September 8th, 2018, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Aside from what occurred on the field, I am anxious to hear those who made the trip. My wife & I so wanted to be there this weekend. What was the Gameday experience like at USMA? I fully intend to be there on the next trip to West Point. Hopefully by then we will have figured out how to stop the Triple Option.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Aside from what occurred on the field, I am anxious to hear those who made the trip. My wife & I so wanted to be there this weekend. What was the Gameday experience like at USMA? I fully intend to be there on the next trip to West Point. Hopefully by then we will have figured out how to stop the Triple Option.
Agree, I would have been there this year, if we would have had a different staff. Really looking forward to going to West Point, in the future to experience the game day atmosphere.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
LUminary wrote:About everything lined up for Army today. It's not the end of the world. Digging a hole early against a grinding, ball-control team like Army is a death wish, compounded by the fact they didn't turn the ball over and we had three of 'em. Defense wasn't a disaster, just on the field way too long. Losing the punter early didn't help. Buckshot was off today. The third-and-15 run killed momentum, but no guarantee we would have completed a pass there anyway the way it was going. Just go win next week and move on.
Considering that the defense was out there 41 1/2 minutes against that type of offense...
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
Anyone know the announced attendance? Other than the cadets, it looked pretty empty on TV.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
To God be the glory!
By Matt Hunter
flameshaw wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Matt Hunter wrote:For the portion of Flames Nation screaming Fire Turner Gill: what are some potential replacements that you would like to see that have a legitimate chance at being an option for the Liberty job after this season if it opened up?
We’ve had a thread going for four years about the next coach for Liberty. There’s been a lot of different disagreements on what and who we could pull in.
I have seen some of the lists of people that are interested in coming to LU in a coaching capacity, of a few different sports. Let's just say, I was amazed at first, but no longer. We will have no problem finding a current, or future star. Regardless, it would be easy to get someone better than our current staff. Gill is a great guy, would love to see him stay with the university, just not in a coaching position.
(Maybe we could get him to teach a class on calling a running play, on 3rd and 15, to the short side of the field, in enemy territory. The hard part would be filling up the time after the first 30 seconds. But you never know).
I didn't expect us to win the game, but I didn't expect such a poor game plan/ play-calling and several bad on-field decisions.
For sure. I think that we have the potential to get a high caliber coach (if it’s the right fit) that really fits the mission of Liberty and wants to build something special. Liberty has all of the tools and assets to build something special, they just need the right guy, with the right persona, who is capable of doing so .
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I was disappointed in attendance. I thought both teams would have more fans there. LU fans were scattered throughout stadium, but majority were in end zone. Naturally game operations. had a big military theme. Cadets probably fired a truck load of artillery rounds during game. Video board could have been better. Appeared too small for the replays. But at least they did not focus on cadets in bleachers after every play. Volume of PA system was good. Band pre game show was great.

Security was good. Upon entering the post, there were Military Police stationed about every 100 yards on roadway, plus parking attendants. I loved seeing Military Police, some armed with M16 rifles. Good shuttle bus service. Flames club breakfast was good.

Only facet of game that I was unhappy with was the LU offense.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote:Anyone know the announced attendance? Other than the cadets, it looked pretty empty on TV.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUminary wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Considering that the defense was out there 41 1/2 minutes against that type of offense...
Exactly. The offense did the defense no favors in the first half. How many plays did they run? How many were running plays? Just because you know something is coming doesn’t mean you can stop it completely
By Jonathan Carone
BuryYourDuke wrote:If you were surprised by today, you put far too much stock in about 10 minutes of football last week.

Even though the score was 52-10, we were an average FBS QB away from losing that game as well.

As far as the FCS games go, see the football round table discussion the week before the season.
Not surprised at all at the result. It’s the way we got to that result that concerns and frustrated me.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
22 wrote:Anyone confident we win both FCS games on the schedule? :lol:
You never know? NC A&T kicked ECU last week and ECU this finished off UNC. Better come to play!
By bdussault
Registration Days
The problem with Gill is that he's too nice to fire even if he should be. My heart is pulling for him even if my head is constantly shaking at on field decisions he makes. More CFB coaches would keep their jobs if they took a play out of Gills' book of niceness. As far as a potential replacements LU should throw the kitchen sink at Lane Kiffin to get him here and I say that with only a little bit of sarcasm.
By Dalegarz1
I was at the game and it mostly went as I expected. Here are some observations.
1. We can't stop an option offense1 (I know, Captain Obvious)
2. We need a running back that can break tackles.
3. Buckshot needs to work on mechanics (particularly footwork) to improve accuracy. IMHO he's too much of a slinger and not enough of a technician.
4. Play calling remains an issue- 3rd and 15-are you kidding me with that call. That needs an explanation and please don't tell me that we thought we would surprise them.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:I was at the game and it mostly went as I expected. Here are some observations.
1. We can't stop an option offense1 (I know, Captain Obvious)
2. We need a running back that can break tackles.
3. Buckshot needs to work on mechanics (particularly footwork) to improve accuracy. IMHO he's too much of a slinger and not enough of a technician.
4. Play calling remains an issue- 3rd and 15-are you kidding me with that call. That needs an explanation and please don't tell me that we thought we would surprise them.
There really is no short yardage back. That was obvious last week. Maybe it’s time to convert an OL or DL to ram the ball for those 2 or 3 yard gains
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:If you were surprised by today, you put far too much stock in about 10 minutes of football last week.

Even though the score was 52-10, we were an average FBS QB away from losing that game as well.

As far as the FCS games go, see the football round table discussion the week before the season.
Not surprised at all at the result. It’s the way we got to that result that concerns and frustrated me.
Precisely. I still believe we could have won today had our offense showed up. AGG couldn’t get separation from press. Buckshot was off and on. We had multiple drops. Believe it or not our rushing was pretty good. KM averaged 9 ypc. Our defense was what we all thought it would be but there were enough stops and help from penalties that we could have done it.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
We played a team today that won 10 games last year, 8 the year before, and coming off 2 straight bowl wins. They are very well coached (he was the coach at GA southern when they beat Florida a few years back). We were shut out in the 1st half and got within 10 and driving in the 4th quarter. There is no shame today. Just work on the opportunities from today and prepare for next week.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Gill had a good game plan and knew what we had to do to get the upset. "no three and outs" and "we couldn't waste possessions, because there would be few". We simply fumbled this one away early. Couldn't hang on to the ball. Hung the defence out for to long.
Last edited by TH Spangler on September 9th, 2018, 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Class of 20Something
Aside from the obnoxious ejection. How did y'all think Lewis did with starters reps?

I saw Espinoza making plays all over the field. He is a silent beast on our defense.

Solomon Ajayi is making a name for himself as well.

Open field tackling looked much improved over last week.
By Jonathan Carone
BuryYourDuke wrote:I totally agree. LU isn’t supposed to win these games guys. They showed potential at times, but all in all it’s tough to go 60 minutes against these teams right now. Liberty is a transitional team that went 6-5 in the Big South last season. We need to beat these two FCS schools. Find a way to nab another win or two after that, stay healthy and competitive in most of the others, and learn A LOT.
It’s not about winning. Or losing. It’s about:

1) Can we develop a successful game plan in a week?

2) Can we make adjustments during the game based on what the other team is doing?

3) Can we call the right plays at the right time?

4) Are our players progressing physically and mentally?

5) Are we moving forward as a team?

Right now four of those five are a resounding no. We made some adjustments both last week and this week that were nice to see, but they were negated by bad play calling.

We have the talent to stay on the field with every non-P5 school we play this year. Every offensive group has taken a step forward this year. So credit to the position coaches there.

But it’s painfully obvious we can’t develop and/or implement a game plan in a week. I don’t know if that’s because of directives by the head coach or if that falls to the coordinators.

The guys are our staff are great, great men. None of my criticisms are about their character or their walk with Jesus. It’s strictly underperforming on the field that hasn’t gotten better in four years.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Was just about to post very similar to Jon. The talent level is way up and depth is way up.

Wimbo and dailey have to be better. Its that simple. Id like to see the defense a couple more weeks against non option teams to see how we really are.

Offense, the pieces are there to compete with anybody not named auburn left. The line was our biggest question mark and they are playing as well as they have since the 08 squad with sene pinnigis and ausberry anchoring. Matthews and pickett are a bice lightning and thunder combo. Pickett can be the short yardage back. He has made his 2 worst reads of the year on 3rd or 4th and 1. Wr is just loaded. Tight end...same ol same ol so far though talent is there.

Dailey just gets too heavy one way or the other and we get predictable. When we have a good balance we have been able to run and throw it well.

Also ive seen enough to say austin lewis is a stud!
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
About the 3rd and 15. I've been thinking about it. The only thing I can come up with was the plan was to run it try to get half and then go for it on 4th down. But we got nothing on the run, so Gill decided, better punt...but at that point you could just feel that the offence needed to score. I think go for it on 4th & 15...not much to lose.
5 plus 7 model

It could happen, Haize. A selfie in front of Moydr[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now :[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]