Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
rmiller1959 wrote:A foreboding thought - what if they are serious about their satisfaction with this past season and where the program stands, and they make the decision to go with stability over splash and hire from within? :shock:
I would actually prefer that but I don't see it. It seems that Falwell is going to be very involved with this process and I would expect a main focus to be on increasing attendance. Every game this year was met with bad weather except Idaho State, arguably our least marketable opponent. Even so, the school is just pouring too much money into football for that trend to continue. A hire from within brings stability maybe but doesn't get butts in seats.
...enter Tim Tebow.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am thankful that no Posters on this message board are on search committee. I can't comprehend some of the names being mentioned.
There is no search committee. I agree that some unrealistic names have been mentioned here, but that doesn´t mean they are under serious consideration, here or anywhere else. Jennings and Tebow for example. It´s an interesting thought, but I don´t think anyone really believes we would make someone who has never coached a day in his life our HC.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I still think it will be someone who has been a Head Coach at a P5 school. This hire is too important to gamble on an unproven HC.

Only one who could get job without HC experience is probably Brandon Streeter.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This has me pondering who might be involved in the search process beyond the obvious of the Chancellor and the AD. Grant Teaff was heavily involved in the last search and he obviously has strong ties to our AD. Coach Gill is well respected within the coaching industry and is leaving his position on good terms. I am curious if he is in any way involved in the process. Just thinking out loud about possible influences.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't think there are any. The AD probably gave a very short list of names to search company to have vetted.

Remember, it's important for new coach to "win the press conference". Some unknown assistant from Podunk University cannot win press conference. This is important because signing day is fast approaching.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Get over winning the press conference. If they can win games that is all I care about.

This fan base and the country will know we mean business if this guy can coach. As far as recruiting, its a huge factor, but we are in a unique position that 15 of 22 starters are coming back, more seniors than Gill ever had , and a starting QB and WR combo that may get drafted. So an early signing day is the furthest down the list on this hire in my opinion.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Get over winning the press conference. If they can win games that is all I care about.

This fan base and the country will know we mean business if this guy can coach. As far as recruiting, its a huge factor, but we are in a unique position that 15 of 22 starters are coming back, more seniors than Gill ever had , and a starting QB and WR combo that may get drafted. So an early signing day is the furthest down the list on this hire in my opinion.
Winning the Press Conference isn’t all that important at this point in the Program.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Winning the Press Conference isn’t all that important at this point in the Program.

+1
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Its pretty much assumed KD will remain on staff in some role right ? Hes an LU guy, has been our best recruiter, and his unit out performs all other units. Most head coaches keep a couple hold overs to assist with the transition. I dont see KD going anywhere, and him remaining on the recruiting trail with an in home last night, has to be beneficial to his chances of being retained.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Id want to keep KD and MB. MB did great with RBs plus he is an example that you can get to the league from LU even when we were FCS.

I would consider stamn wilkins and possibly singletary in the right situations. Wilkins has done an excellent job with jucos.

I was thinking JR and mccaw could view this as another 3 to 4 year bridge to build us up further then go for HR. I dont think this is the route we go but if so a ruffen mcneil (assuming rest of things we need are there) type hire might make more sense.
By libertydawg
R i wrote:Its pretty much assumed KD will remain on staff in some role right ? Hes an LU guy, has been our best recruiter, and his unit out performs all other units. Most head coaches keep a couple hold overs to assist with the transition. I dont see KD going anywhere, and him remaining on the recruiting trail with an in home last night, has to be beneficial to his chances of being retained.
Good to hear. Hope so.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am thankful that no Posters on this message board are on search committee. I can't comprehend some of the names being mentioned.
What search committee?? Your “sources” have to be better than that, bub.
By Ewglenn
JK37 wrote:
What search committee?? Your “sources” have to be better than that, bub.
Ian was asked in the press conference and he said we would be using a firm.
By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
After listening to Ian's portion of the press conference through again, I came up with a list of five potential candidates for the open position. Again, this is pure speculation, but it's worth getting it out there for purposes of discussion:

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/dami ... 40e3f.html
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Damien Sordelett wrote:After listening to Ian's portion of the press conference through again, I came up with a list of five potential candidates for the open position. Again, this is pure speculation, but it's worth getting it out there for purposes of discussion:

IF Jr, indeed said he wanted the best coach available, it would eliminate the last 3 on your list. Just saying. Based on performance, Wimberly shouldn't even be allowed to coach a Pop Warner team. 600+ yards?
By Jonathan Carone
I have long contended Wimbo would be a better head coach than defensive coordinator. That said, I believe what’s best for the program is new blood.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Damien Sordelett wrote:After listening to Ian's portion of the press conference through again, I came up with a list of five potential candidates for the open position. Again, this is pure speculation, but it's worth getting it out there for purposes of discussion:

Poindexter was an interesting thought
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:

Poindexter was an interesting thought

I am surprised his name hasn't came up prior. He makes more sense than most that have been mentioned. I used to go watch UVA practices when Vic Hall was up there. Pointdexter outworked and out hustled the entire team.
By House on fire
What's the over/under on how long this particular forum is dormant once an announcement is made? "I told you so"'s and "I can't believe it"'s don't count.
By Jonathan Carone
House on fire wrote:What's the over/under on how long this particular forum is dormant once an announcement is made? "I told you so"'s and "I can't believe it"'s don't count.
Oh man. That’s a great question. I think it depends on the coach. Likely 3 years though if it’s a good one.
5 plus 7 model

Process of elimination... Why is ND left with 2 g[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now :[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]