Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:2 options and the first one was discussed some last year. Bring back Brandon Streeter to be the H.C and have Chad Wilt come back as the D.C. Both guys have done a great job at Clemson and Army. Two younger coaches with tons of experience, great recruiters and understand what it takes to win and work at Liberty. Second option and I have no idea the religious standpoint but Jay Bateman is the Army D.C and they have been on roll the last 3 seasons. Bateman is from VA and certainly knows how to recruit and would love to see him bring Wilt along to be the D.C.
I like this idea better than any other that I am aware of. Being around the Clemson program has had to have a positive and maturing experience for Streeter. He is also young and could build a good resume at LU. Chad has more fire/intensity/personality than our entire staff put together right now. I know that bar isn't very high, but none the less very important.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:2 options and the first one was discussed some last year. Bring back Brandon Streeter to be the H.C and have Chad Wilt come back as the D.C. Both guys have done a great job at Clemson and Army. Two younger coaches with tons of experience, great recruiters and understand what it takes to win and work at Liberty. Second option and I have no idea the religious standpoint but Jay Bateman is the Army D.C and they have been on roll the last 3 seasons. Bateman is from VA and certainly knows how to recruit and would love to see him bring Wilt along to be the D.C.
AMEN!!
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:
AMEN!! on Streeter and Wilt
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Remember this name:

:football Hugh Freeze
He’s been mentioned already. I think if it is not Briles it’s Freeze. If he’s available
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Remember this name:

:football Hugh Freeze
He’s been mentioned already. I think if it is not Briles it’s Freeze. If he’s available
I believe he’s the offense coordinated of the Arizona Hotshots in the Alliance for American Football.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:That would be a huge cluster #*(#! Run and I mean run like Carone has never run before!
You've been around LU long enough to know that this would be a total LU move but yes, I agree we should run far far away from him.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
What the majority of sensible people want: Streeter/wilt (as an example) etc basically a P5 position coach with play calling experience. or a G5 coordinator. This is logical.
What the wishful thinkers want: Les Miles (as an example) etc basically any quality coach we have no shot of getting.
What Agents of Chaos want: Art Briles, Hugh Freeze.

My heart says we will be smart and go with option A. My head says "who am I kidding this is Liberty we are talking about" and we will go with option C.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I've been a strong proponent for Streeter.

1. Dabo Disciple
2. Develops QBs (Smith, Brown, Watson, etc.)
3. Knows the Liberty culture.

This would be a home run hire but it would make too much sense for Liberty though. Need a coach that put a program on probation.
By cruzan_flame13
ballah09 wrote:I've been a strong proponent for Streeter.

1. Dabo Disciple
2. Develops QBs (Smith, Brown, Watson, etc.)
3. Knows the Liberty culture.

This would be a home run hire but it would make too much sense for Liberty though. Need a coach that put a program on probation.
The question is would Streeter want to leave a powerhouse to come here and develop an improved program.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Here is a name to throw out there if LU wants someone who has coached P5 ball and been someone that defensive coaches admire and who has been successful maybe not as much as we want but I think could be a step in the right direction. That name is Mike London who is now the head coach at Howard University and former National Champion head coach of Richmond but more well known for his time at UVA. Any thoughts?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Here is another one that I almost forgot about and he is an active member in my cousins church in Jacksonville, AL. John Grass from JSU would be a good fit as well.
By Ewglenn
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Here is a name to throw out there if LU wants someone who has coached P5 ball and been someone that defensive coaches admire and who has been successful maybe not as much as we want but I think could be a step in the right direction. That name is Mike London who is now the head coach at Howard University and former National Champion head coach of Richmond but more well known for his time at UVA. Any thoughts?
Stop
By Jonathan Carone
I want no part of Mike London.

I’d love Street but I still say it’ll be really hard to pull him away from his alma mater. It’d be awesome though. And the Street/Wilt rumor was going around last year.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Here is a name to throw out there if LU wants someone who has coached P5 ball and been someone that defensive coaches admire and who has been successful maybe not as much as we want but I think could be a step in the right direction. That name is Mike London who is now the head coach at Howard University and former National Champion head coach of Richmond but more well known for his time at UVA. Any thoughts?
I think you are high on something besides the tide. :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The only part of London I want is 2 First Class tickets for Me and Mrs Purple and about 10 days of 1st class lodging
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
London is not a good candidate. The way he threw Mike Rocco under the bus to play the transfer from Alabama should disqualify him from any FBS job. I don't like anything about UVA football, but he shafted Rocco.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach, thanks for shedding light on that. I had no idea that he did Mike Rocco wrong like that. The more I thought about it the more I realized his lack of consistency as a head coach.

Now the guy from Jacksonville State University I do believe should be looked at IF we move on from HCTG.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Not sure if he is a good fit for LU, but the previous HC at The Citadel would be a great prospect. But ANYONE who can get through an interview with Ian, would be better than what we have.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I am curious flameshaw, why don't you think the Jacksonville State coach would be a good fit?
Because he's like Jamey Chadwell. He built his program on taking questionable transfers and non qualifying players. That won't fly here.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Me personally i would love Graham Harrell or someone from a high flying passing offense, but i could definitely get behind a Brandon Streeter hire
Last edited by BJWilliams on November 10th, 2018, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I am curious flameshaw, why don't you think the Jacksonville State coach would be a good fit?
I didn't say anything positive or negative about the JSU coach, I don't know anything about him. He seems to be a very good coach but I have no knowledge about his "fit."
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I did come up with a good place for TG to land. I believe he would be a fantastic hire for VMI. He can put any discipline in place he wants, he has recruited at LU, VMI should be about the same, obviously he can't screw it up, they can only go up. He can have a positive, personal, role-model type impact on some very special young men. He can have all the 6-5 seasons he wants and would be considered a genius/hero there. Wimbo will still have a job in football (who else would hire him)? His pay would be pretty well in line with his abilities, performance and successes. He may be able to schedule St. Francis again and maybe extract some revenge this time. Seems like a win-win for all involved. And finally, he will still have 8 months to get ready for the first game of the season. Who knows, VMI might actually win an opener. :)

Play Basketball
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:
Because he's like Jamey Chadwell. He built his program on taking questionable transfers and non qualifying players. That won't fly here.
Very true, I follow JSU a little. He gets many players from SEC schools.

I lived in Jacksonville, AL back in my younger days.
5 plus 7 model

I wouldn't build this up and get your hopes up t[…]

Family Travel Obsession

If you have a rental car in Paris this summer, bra[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now […]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]