Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By cruzan_flame13
ballah09 wrote:
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:***crickets chirping*** as I hear no #fireGill comments coming with red hot passion.
#firegill

one game doesn't change anything. He was terrible again with his play calling and he can easily lose next week which he's known for after a big win. Idaho State is 4-1 tied first in the Big Sky.
+1
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:***crickets chirping*** as I hear no #fireGill comments coming with red hot passion.
He still needs to go. But talking about it on here won't change anything.
By LUDad
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:Still on the Fire Gill train. We beat a team without their starting QB. Good win but I’m worried about next week.
Yea, I suppose it would have been better if we had AGG, our #1 running back, our kickers, etc.
By Jonathan Carone
TH Spangler wrote:Tip of the hat to Coach Gill and crew!
They deserve it tonight. We can get into the other stuff later. They earned some time for us to appreciate the outcome.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
What a dumb post. I'm still of the opinion we need a new voice but this is not the time to talk about that. Enjoy the win. it was a good one.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Appreciate the honesty in your post, but I was just having a little fun with our forum fam. who are on the fire Gill train. My wife told me tonight I enjoyed the win a little to much, haha.
By CCWMichael
It is only one game but what a game.
A win does earn respect.
Yeah, I would have called the hail mary at half, yeah I would have kicked a field goal (maybe) cause my first thought was a blocked kick. Time mangagement was a bit of whiff in my mind.
We used some ball control and kept our D fresh. The game resemblesd a real game.
We overcam poor play, missing players, and a few call I did not like.
OBTW, I hate the muff rule.
Man, we should win 5 now. One more and we could be bowling :football :football
That is amazing for a transition FBS team with some pretty good teams on the schedule.
It would be great if Gill and his crew catch fire and consitency!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If we make a bowl game this year, hasn't Coach Gill earned a contract extension? (No, I'm NOT asking Flameshaw).
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:If we make a bowl game this year, hasn't Coach Gill earned a contract extension? (No, I'm NOT asking Flameshaw).
Too many fair weather fans on here to expect a cogent response.
By Jonathan Carone
Cider Jim wrote:If we make a bowl game this year, hasn't Coach Gill earned a contract extension? (No, I'm NOT asking Flameshaw).
If you believe he is the guy who can lead us to where we want to go, then yes. Most people would say you don’t extend based solely on one year of results though. It’s a factor, and you can’t write it off, but if you didn’t think he could take us to our goals before this season, it’s doubtful one season is going to change that. Especially given that the current AD didn’t hire the him.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:
If you believe he is the guy who can lead us to where we want to go, then yes. Most people would say you don’t extend based solely on one year of results though. It’s a factor, and you can’t write it off, but if you didn’t think he could take us to our goals before this season, it’s doubtful one season is going to change that. Especially given that the current AD didn’t hire the him.
You think a contract with merit based extensions(rather than compensation) would get a bite? 1 year with a 1 year extension and a 5% raise for making a bowl game, additional 1% raise for winning the bowl game.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Yesterdays win was on the players. Gill and company made their fair share of head scratchers yesterday. Troys defensive weakness is their pass coverage so let’s run on 10 of the first 13 plays (approximate). The decision at the end of the game to kneel and then run on 4th down? What? You either run the ball 3 straight times and kick or you kick the FG after the kneel downs. Also, this staff clearly has never taught our guys to throw the ball away when possible under duress. Ex. Buckshot on game winning drive taking a 12 yard sack. Also whichever receiver that was on the jet sweep when it was clearly sniffed out and he was wide enough to realize, just throw it away and save the 7 yard loss. I’ll give some credit to coaches esp. wimbo but otherwise all credit to the guys.
By Jonathan Carone
Class of 20Something wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
You think a contract with merit based extensions(rather than compensation) would get a bite? 1 year with a 1 year extension and a 5% raise for making a bowl game, additional 1% raise for winning the bowl game.
That just wouldn’t make a ton of sense to do. You either believe in the guy or you don’t. If you do, give him the contract. If you don’t, find the right guy. You can’t be recruiting players when the coach is on one year deals.
By Class of 20Something
That's fair. I'm fine with ripping the bandaid off if we have the incoming coach secured before hand. I think a search is dangerous with the dual recruiting deadline era.
By Jonathan Carone
I think one of the hard things currently is reading Ian. He keeps things so close to the vest that it’s hard to tell what he’s thinking about anything. Even the people who normally know things are just guessing with him.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think one of the hard things currently is reading Ian. He keeps things so close to the vest that it’s hard to tell what he’s thinking about anything. Even the people who normally know things are just guessing with him.
I actually like the tight ship. Sure I'd love to know, but I'm glad leaks aren't coming from above or below. It feels like he has the authority to do his job without compromise from below or influence from above.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think one of the hard things currently is reading Ian. He keeps things so close to the vest that it’s hard to tell what he’s thinking about anything. Even the people who normally know things are just guessing with him.
:D 8) 8)
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I humbly accept your compliment. :D :D
By CCWMichael
I am assuming he has two years left yet?
One season does not make a master. He has had them before.
Rinse and repeat next year with an improvement, then yes.
I would not jump for one good season when much of the contract is left.
Still not a sold fan of his tenure however, redemption is possible at any time.
By cruzan_flame13
I'm still not sure when his contract ends. Some folks on here say 2019 while other state it's this season. I recall him receiving his last contract that started during the 2015 season.
By Jonathan Carone
I've been told both this year and it runs through 2019. I tend to believe it runs through 2019 because that makes the most sense. That said, I think our assistants' contracts are up this year.
5 plus 7 model

It could happen, Haize. A selfie in front of Moydr[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now :[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]