Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:I would agree on all others but freeze. There is a chance on freeze. Its funny the guys that said independant was possible and we couldnt schedule have strong opinions on who lu can and cant get. Youve already been wrong multiple times. However i do agree here other than freeze.

For the record im not advicating freeze. Id need to hear and see much more to be good there.
Some may just be feeding the hyperbole... 8)
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:
flamesfilmguy wrote: We are not getting a P5 Head coach. (coordinator? slim chance) G5 head coach is also a slim chance. Those usually make their way(if they are any sort of good) to P5's. We are getting 1 of 2 options: An FCS head coach who has been successful or A G5 Coordinator looking for his first FBS job.
We haven't even played a season in FBS yet and you guys are already starting to sound like the fan bases of schools who have been FBS for decades lol. I'm all for the enthusiasm just wan't to be realistic.
Turner Gill fit most of all of those things you said we would not get. We have more money to spend and are FBS with better stadium. Why do you think its not possible to hire up from our last hire ? Has the program gone down since we hired Gill ? Or are you just being negative Nancy ?
Looking back, Gill was a really interesting hire. Most people didn’t want him because he bombed so bad at Kansas so there wasn’t a real demand for him. On top of that, Kansas was still paying him a lot of money and we paid him well above market value for where we were as a school. So his salary those first couple years was in the multiple millions thanks to that Kansas buyout. On top of all that, we were coming off years of success and he was replacing a coach that left on his own, not a coach that was fired. So it was tons of money + solid, growing base.

When/if we move on from Gill, we will be coming off four or more seasons of six wins or few. While we will now be FBS, the momentum will likely have slowed down or even stalled because of the lack of winning.

When given the choice, that hot shot coordinator, G5 head coach looking to improve, or fired P5 coach is going to wait until they can replace someone in a good situation, not take on a rebuild. I’m sure Gill was thinking he’d get us to the playoffs in a year or two, have some success, and then get the bigger offer to climb back up the ranks.

That’s why I think our next coach is either an FCS coach, an FBS position coach who hasn’t gotten a shot yet (ie Danny Rocco’s situation before Liberty), or a former P5 guy looking for one more job before retirement.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Facilities, Money, TV Contracts, President's vision of the Program.

These are all thing that are not likely going to change over next 10 years no matter how many losses we take. So while we will be vulnerable in the transition, the job will still be much more attractive than its being portrayed.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Turner Gill we be the coach the next 5 years. I didn't use go think that but I just can't see LU making the move since they know it won't be extremely attractive at this point.

Nothing stated has helped change my mind.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:Facilities, Money, TV Contracts, President's vision of the Program.

These are all thing that are not likely going to change over next 10 years no matter how many losses we take. So while we will be vulnerable in the transition, the job will still be much more attractive than its being portrayed.
Where we differ is that I think it can be an attractive job, but it's not there yet. We are a step away from it being the job many fans think it is.

After Karcher, the Liberty job had an attractiveness to it because of some of the things you said (FOC being built, television network being built, Doc) but no one had won here in nearly 20 years. It attracted an FBS position coach who had experiencing managing people (ie assistant head coach) who wasn't a coordinator and hadn't gotten a shot at being a head coach yet. If I'm not mistaken, that's what Gill was when Buffalo hired him. That's the type of coach you attract when you're rebuilding and/or building a program.

To me, that's should be the goal of who we go after if we make a change. We have the potential to get a really good coach, but it'll be someone a little less known than poaching a current head coach or a P5 coordinator. (For the record - I'd also still be okay with an older coach who has had success building programs who wants one more try at it.)

If that guy, whoever he is, can have the same success in building that Rocco had, then the guy we get after him will be in the G5 head coach range.

We have similar views of the program, but you're one step ahead of where I am.
By cruzan_flame13
I know for sure now that Briles will not be the head coach here; at least for next year or so. He received a head coaching position by the American football team in Italy. Good for him! Maybe Gill can receive an offer for a team in Lithuania or some other team :lol: .
By Ewglenn
Jim Grobe is a great guy and coach from what I know. Maybe he could help out? Idk if he would be a huge upgrade over TG but he did win an ACC championship and managed to keep Baylor together after that train wreck.
By Jonathan Carone
Ewglenn wrote:Jim Grobe is a great guy and coach from what I know. Maybe he could help out? Idk if he would be a huge upgrade over TG but he did win an ACC championship and managed to keep Baylor together after that train wreck.
I brought him up back on like page 14 or so. I don't know if he's the guy, but someone of a similar make up - a guy who can help us manage the transition and build a solid base before retiring - is intriguing to me.
By tyndal23
I think Gill is safe through 2020 maybe 2021 if he gets some decent recruiting classes. As for next coach, I prefer young and preferably a spread offense guy ( simply because you can win some more games with lesser talent in that system ). However, my 1st choice is still Brandon Streeter from Clemson ( been here, knows the school, stud recruiter, won't jump ship for next best thing ). I also wouldn't count out the "mission" factor that brought a name like Sam Rutigliano to LU when they didn't even have a stadium - there are a handful of those types out there in all the ranks - but I still prefer an energetic younger OC who can recruit and put an exciting product high scoring offense on the field and hope his D Coordinator is a stud. I still think Master Plan of playing minimum 6 P5 and BYU a year ( even if it means 5 home games instead of 6 for a half decade - 2026 -2030 ) and being road warriors to get recruits in from all over the country by playing all 5 P5 schools ( and having coach buy in to " dont worry about getting to a cheap bowl - just get us better every year during that phase ) and paying a big $ for a "mission" not a stop over coach is the way to go and get LU to level JR wants it in his lifetime...
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
R i wrote:Facilities, Money, TV Contracts, President's vision of the Program.

Where we differ is that I think it can be an attractive job, but it's not there yet. We are a step away from it being the job many fans think it is.

After Karcher, the Liberty job had an attractiveness to it because of some of the things you said (FOC being built, television network being built, Doc) but no one had won here in nearly 20 years. It attracted an FBS position coach who had experiencing managing people (ie assistant head coach) who wasn't a coordinator and hadn't gotten a shot at being a head coach yet. If I'm not mistaken, that's what Gill was when Buffalo hired him. That's the type of coach you attract when you're rebuilding and/or building a program.

To me, that's should be the goal of who we go after if we make a change. We have the potential to get a really good coach, but it'll be someone a little less known than poaching a current head coach or a P5 coordinator. (For the record - I'd also still be okay with an older coach who has had success building programs who wants one more try at it.)

If that guy, whoever he is, can have the same success in building that Rocco had, then the guy we get after him will be in the G5 head coach range.

We have similar views of the program, but you're one step ahead of where I am.
Forgot to mention. #InIanWeTrust

Dude, its football season !
By LUDad
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I know for sure now that Briles will not be the head coach here; at least for next year or so. He received a head coaching position by the American football team in Italy. Good for him! Maybe Gill can receive an offer for a team in Lithuania or some other team :lol: .
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -in-italy/

Contract allows him an out if offered US position.
By tyndal23
Briles - even IF he got railroaded unfairly, it would be a big mistake to hire him - future scheduling and goodwill among other AD's would go out the window, the rampant social media and national media negativity would be horrendous. His recruiting ties to High Schools in TX ( of which he was second to none ) would be greatly diminished - way too easy to negatively recruit against him/LU and hard to convince parents to push to come play for him. The pain ain't worth the gain in this instance.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:Coaches who will not be walking through that door when not if Gill is let go:(in two years)
Les Miles
Art Briles
Hugh Freeze
Larry Fedora

We are not getting a P5 Head coach. (coordinator? slim chance) G5 head coach is also a slim chance. Those usually make their way(if they are any sort of good) to P5's. We are getting 1 of 2 options: An FCS head coach who has been successful or A G5 Coordinator looking for his first FBS job.
We haven't even played a season in FBS yet and you guys are already starting to sound like the fan bases of schools who have been FBS for decades lol. I'm all for the enthusiasm just wan't to be realistic.
Being realistic doesn't play well here. :)
By cruzan_flame13
It seem that Urban Meyer may have a history when it comes to abuse. This is coming from former players who played under him during his years in Florida. You can look into this information from project veritas video. It makes me wonder how many other situations that are being covered up by other coaches.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
flamesfilmguy wrote: We are not getting a P5 Head coach. (coordinator? slim chance) G5 head coach is also a slim chance. Those usually make their way(if they are any sort of good) to P5's. We are getting 1 of 2 options: An FCS head coach who has been successful or A G5 Coordinator looking for his first FBS job.
Turner Gill fit most of all of those things you said we would not get. We have more money to spend and are FBS with better stadium. Why do you think its not possible to hire up from our last hire ? Has the program gone down since we hired Gill ? Or are you just being negative Nancy ?
I believe its possible to hire a P5 head coach. Like we did with Gill. but you would have to do exactly what you did with gill and we all know how thats worked out so far... you hired a guy who had a .208 winning percentage and a guy who was fired after going 2-10. (YES i know it was and Kansas a place where coaching careers are supposed to go and Die.) That will be us if we hire one. We sure could get fedora if he tanks the program and goes 2-10 this year and gets fired. sure. I'll give you that but would you honestly want that? or would you rather go the Ark State, Memphis, UCF routs and hire up and coming young coaches who have the potential to take you some where even with the risk of you being used as a stepping stone? I'm for that option all day.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
jinxy wrote: Its funny the guys that said independant was possible and we couldnt schedule have strong opinions on who lu can and cant get. Youve already been wrong multiple times.
We’ve scheduled some great games and Mickey deserves all the credit in the world for that.

But the jury is still out on if independent can work or be worth it.

Let’s see if we can win games when we have five week road trips in October and November across the entire country. Let’s see if the fans show up for a meaningless home game after being on the road for six weeks for a game the week after Thanksgiving. Let’s see if fan support is sustainable through what will be a hard transition.

Independent football is really, really hard to do year in and year out. Other than Notre Dame and the academies (who are on a totally different level), it hasn’t been proven that you can build a consistently winning program as an independent. That’s my biggest reason to be skeptical about who we can pull in as our next coach. There are too many unanswered questions to attract that rising star to risk his potential here.

All that said, I think the guy after the guy who replaces Gill could be better than any of us imagine. By that point, we will have sorted out the kinks of being independent and will know what it will take to navigate those waters. We won’t be a program in transition. There will be a lot less unknown by that point. That makes the job more attractive.
THIS. congrats they shocked the people who didn't think it was even possible. including me. Didn't expect the NCAA to be so willing to let us move up. yay. now is it sustainable?
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
of course I say all of this knowing full well that we as a university are capable of doing very dumb things sometimes. So there is ALWAYS the possibility of hiring on baggage like freeze or briles. because lets be honest. Nothing surprises me anymore with this Admin.
By rtb72
Jonathan Carone wrote:Ian and Mickey are the sole reasons for any optimism I currently have.
This is where I am also. No one thought we could accomplish so much so soon. Ian's obvious experience and ability leads me to conclude he is much more "about business", and expects a return on investment. I think he was provided an opportunity, and challenged to bring improvements and even notoriety to LU sports, football in particular. As such, if Gill ( or any other coach) does not demonstrate the ability to meet expectations; I don't see them staying around. HCTG is no doubt a fine Christian man, which is all you need for some positions, D1 Head Football coach is not one of them. I get LU is different in what we look for in a coach; we want a strong values-driven leader, who is also a great coach. I just believe, regardless of us moving up to FBS and playing a tougher schedule, we won't stick with Gill if the future appears to hold nothing more than the status quo.

I would also concur; Mickey's experience and ability has been a true asset for LU and our success thus far.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Ian and Mickey are the sole reasons for any optimism I currently have.
^^^^^ what this guy said
By CCWMichael
Kool aid guy says:

GILL GILL GiLL

wise guy says:

revaluation due after week 1

1-0 will make a feel a bit better than 0-1 on home turf with a team we are more than capable of running with.

OBTW, I love Kool Aid at the beginning of each new season
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Its obvious we are not plucking away big time winning p5 coaches. I thought you and jon were implying the job would not attract p5 coordinators or the freeze types. I honestly think freeze will have multiple oc spots offered after this year. For certain he had multiple sec schools interest this past year.

I understand many of you dont like jrs politics and some of them are unneccesary i think is the best word for a lot of the tweets. Some are merited but some just have nothing to gain.

That aside, what bad decisions is the admin making. Mccaw was a hit, so far independant was a hit. Asun appears to be an improvement.

I just dont follow where that sentiment comes from.

After thinking and seeing how things have played out there is a legit argument to allow gill to get through 2019 and stablizie the transition. That is provided we are not a total embarassment on the field and he can recruit decent fbs players. Then transition is over. Facilities are completed or close and there is a much more fbs caliber roster and better schedules.
By LUDad
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
jinxy wrote: Its funny the guys that said independant was possible and we couldnt schedule have strong opinions on who lu can and cant get. Youve already been wrong multiple times.
We’ve scheduled some great games and Mickey deserves all the credit in the world for that.

But the jury is still out on if independent can work or be worth it.

Let’s see if we can win games when we have five week road trips in October and November across the entire country. Let’s see if the fans show up for a meaningless home game after being on the road for six weeks for a game the week after Thanksgiving. Let’s see if fan support is sustainable through what will be a hard transition.

Independent football is really, really hard to do year in and year out. Other than Notre Dame and the academies (who are on a totally different level), it hasn’t been proven that you can build a consistently winning program as an independent. That’s my biggest reason to be skeptical about who we can pull in as our next coach. There are too many unanswered questions to attract that rising star to risk his potential here.

All that said, I think the guy after the guy who replaces Gill could be better than any of us imagine. By that point, we will have sorted out the kinks of being independent and will know what it will take to navigate those waters. We won’t be a program in transition. There will be a lot less unknown by that point. That makes the job more attractive.
THIS. congrats they shocked the people who didn't think it was even possible. including me. Didn't expect the NCAA to be so willing to let us move up. yay. now is it sustainable?
Personally, I have my doubts that NCAA would have been very receptive to the LU bid had Trump not been elected.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LU Dad: "
Personally, I have my doubts that NCAA would have been very receptive to the LU bid had Trump not been elected."

Just another one of the many reasons to be ecstatic the The Trumpster is in the White House. 8)
5 plus 7 model

It could happen, Haize. A selfie in front of Moydr[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now :[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]