Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: September 10th, 2023, 9:08 am What are the new clock rules ?
Normally in college football the clock stops after a first down. Now it keeps running unless there are less than 2 minutes left in each half. It's significantly reducing the number of plays per game but the length of each game hasn't changed much so now there are even more commercials per game. I saw a source after week 1 that said the game durations were only reduced by 3 minutes despite significantly less plays but I can't find it anymore.

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
After 2 games, feels like CBSSN utilizes more TV time out pauses than ESPN+.

Yesterday our defence played very well when NMSU was in the red zone.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Everybody talked about what a great defemse Freeze had last year, but they gave up 49 points in last year's loss. And everybody was saying how Chadwell was all offense and no defense, but we only gave up 13 points against the same QB as last year. :shock: :clapping
ATrain liked this
By Ill flame
Cider Jim wrote: September 10th, 2023, 2:54 pm Everybody talked about what a great defemse Freeze had last year, but they gave up 49 points in last year's loss. And everybody was saying how Chadwell was all offense and no defense, but we only gave up 13 points against the same QB as last year. :shock: :clapping
I guess we'll just ignore the fact that the team gave up on their coach after he took another job without telling them or that we held a very good Arkansas offense to 19 points and BYUs offense to 14 points.

Freeze was so confident in his offensive play calling ability that he kept throwing extra scholarships at the defense and it really started to show up in our depth on that side of the ball (and relative lack of depth on offense) by the end. We are still reaping the benefits of that defensive depth from last year after losing most of our starters, considering most of our 2 deep was on last years roster.

From what I can tell from chadwells previous recruiting classes at CCU he favors the offense much more than freeze did which isn't wrong but it resulted in LU being a more balanced team. For our first class under chadwell 10 of 16 HS/Juco recruits were on defense so maybe he learned his lesson from his last stop. It'll be a few years before we will really know but I think we have every right to be concerned about how our defense will perform once Freezes recruits are gone despite it being different assistants.
thesportscritic, aredd33, LUOrange and 2 others liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As for clock rules, apparently it has resulted in more TV timeouts. Seems as if half the game is spent in timeouts.
I wish NCAA would eliminate injury time outs for commercials. Yesterday a NMSU player was slow to get up after a play. He wasn't lying on turf , he just got up slow. The ref called timeout, and the player left the field under his own power, barely limping. Fans were forced to listen to 2 1/2 minutes of noise from PA system.
Also 30 second timeouts, should not become full timeouts. 30 seconds is 30 seconds, not 2 1/2 minutes.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
A few thoughts:
- We opened up the playbook more this week on offense. KSalt threw some really nice deep balls. The 62 yd bomb to CJ Daniels was as good a throw as you'll get in college.
- Run game continues to impress. This offense is a lot of fun to watch and everyone seems to get involved. I like we are utilizing the TEs in the pass game more. That's something that was missing with HCHF.
- I was scared after that first drive, but the Defense really stepped up. The secondary seems to be coming together now. The trio of Reese, Bishop and Green may prove to be better than what we had last year. When we get Kendy back, I think the D is going to be close to what we had last year.
- Special teams... Max Morgan (Punter) is legit. He only had one punt (I think?), but he has the right combination of hangtime/distance. The blocked kicks are a problem. On the shorter kicks, the PK should be getting under the ball more to get more height. Need to fix this before we get into a game where it truly hurts us.
ballcoach15 liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I noticed in the box score that after Lenderink's PAT was blocked on the 2nd TD, Nick Brown was used on the PAT's for the rest of the evening.
By AATL
Humble_Opinion wrote:Special teams... Max Morgan (Punter) is legit. He only had one punt (I think?), but he has the right combination of hangtime/distance.
It's good to see Max Morgan get a shout out. Both punts were beauties, including the touchback with an unlucky bounce.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if we don't see him again for a few more weeks :D
Baybird liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/MBakerTBTimes/status/1798077[…]

5 plus 7 model

Boise St gets the ND 2025 game.

Family Travel Obsession

Live a little. Driving in Germany & Italy is t[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now […]