Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By AATL
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:17 pm It would be nice if the spring game can be improved , especially in regards to broadcasting. Not sure if I'll renew my season tickets as of now since I'm trying to see how those months will play out for me.
Based on his comments about spring games, I'd infer the lack of a broadcasted spring game was tied to the preferences of the previous coach. Searches for "CCU Football spring game" return plenty of results, so maybe this staff will want to publicize it a bit more.
By LUOrange
Racenut wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:03 pm While the opponents are not as attractive, I can see the value in freeing up some weekends for family and extracurricular activities. Re-upped yesterday! What else can you do if you're a true fan of the team, the school and the mission?
I'm looking forward to putting the hurt feelings of betrayal behind us and building on what has been started. Same university, same mission, a proven winner as the new head coach, can't wait until the spring game.
I understand the variables the Athletic Department was working with and their rationale, even if I don't like or agree with all of their final decisions I'm still going to renew my season tickets within the next week or so as well. Just need a break in window at work in order to get some clarification form the Ticket Office before I do so.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
IronFlame wrote: January 11th, 2023, 5:27 pm I'm fine with this schedule. My family and I are renewing.
It doesn’t really effect me one way or the other. We will be renewing. I just want my old seats back!
IronFlame, sstaedtler liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Normally there's nothing happening in Lynchburg on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so Liberty may as well play football. Heck it might even improve attendance. I think I've missed only 4 home games in the past 16 seasons. I have never been satisfied with attendance, even BYU and VT games.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 11th, 2023, 9:06 pm Normally there's nothing happening in Lynchburg on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so Liberty may as well play football. Heck it might even improve attendance. I think I've missed only 4 home games in the past 16 seasons. I have never been satisfied with attendance, even BYU and VT games.
Considering you complain about everything it’s doubtful you’ve ever been satisfied with anything
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: January 11th, 2023, 9:08 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:46 pm

It doesn’t really effect me one way or the other. We will be renewing. I just want my old seats back!
Quit complaining! :D
Squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Plus I’ve talked to the fine folks in my seats and everyone is willing to slide down
rtb72 liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:17 pm It would be nice if the spring game can be improved , especially in regards to broadcasting. Not sure if I'll renew my season tickets as of now since I'm trying to see how those months will play out for me.
Word on the street is it could be televised if the stars align.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 11th, 2023, 9:06 pm I have never been satisfied with attendance, even BYU and VT games.
UVa fans and alumni would have packed out the stadium, but we canceled or postponed our game with the Hoos. Study
By YaySports
I understand there are many view points among the people and can see each angle. I personally enjoy football, especially college, every day of the week. It will be hard for me to attend 2 mid-week games, but my wife and I are planning to make 1 mid-week trip to LU. We'll have to miss 1 game, but we are renewing our tickets. The other home game, and those away, we will catch on TV no matter the day.

We'll even watch teams we don't know just to see football. There are some pretty good high school games across the country we watch as well.
flamehunter liked this
By AATL
The SunBelt released their conference schedule today, including a note that they have moved several of their marquee matchups to Tuesdays and Thursdays to be featured on ESPN's linear platforms. https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2023/2/2 ... edule.aspx

Each of the Sun Belt’s seven representatives in Bowl Season from a year ago—Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Louisiana, Marshall, South Alabama, Southern Miss and Troy—will be prominently featured in the midweek portion of the conference schedule, with all seven games appearing across ESPN linear platforms.

Thursday, Sept. 21 – Georgia State at Coastal Carolina
Tuesday, Oct. 10 – Coastal Carolina at App State
Tuesday, Oct. 17 – Southern Miss at South Alabama
Thursday, Oct. 19 – James Madison at Marshall
Thursday, Oct. 26 – Georgia State at Georgia Southern
Thursday, Nov. 2 – South Alabama at Troy
Thursday, Nov. 9 – Southern Miss at Louisiana
By LUOrange
AATL wrote: February 24th, 2023, 3:48 pm The SunBelt released their conference schedule today, including a note that they have moved several of their marquee matchups to Tuesdays and Thursdays to be featured on ESPN's linear platforms. https://sunbeltsports.org/news/2023/2/2 ... edule.aspx

Each of the Sun Belt’s seven representatives in Bowl Season from a year ago—Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Louisiana, Marshall, South Alabama, Southern Miss and Troy—will be prominently featured in the midweek portion of the conference schedule, with all seven games appearing across ESPN linear platforms.

Thursday, Sept. 21 – Georgia State at Coastal Carolina
Tuesday, Oct. 10 – Coastal Carolina at App State
Tuesday, Oct. 17 – Southern Miss at South Alabama
Thursday, Oct. 19 – James Madison at Marshall
Thursday, Oct. 26 – Georgia State at Georgia Southern
Thursday, Nov. 2 – South Alabama at Troy
Thursday, Nov. 9 – Southern Miss at Louisiana
I don't like the mid-week games, except for the occasional Thursday night game. Mid-weeks, while good for TV eyeballs and money, kills the fanbases. The MAC is the prime example.

However, if you have to do them, this makes more sense to me. One game on Tuesday and one on Thursday is by far more acceptable than having the entire conference do it. Hopefully, CUSA and Liberty will re-evaluate sooner than later. But we'll see how it goes. I'm not optimistic.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I was just making plans to go to the JSU game since it’s only about 100 miles for me…and then I realized the game is on Tuesday. So that’s a no go. Gosh I hate that
LUOrange liked this
By BlueBlood
This thread just prompted me to make my hotel reservation for the Oct 5 (Thur) Sam Houston game.

We are going to make this midweek thing work. Travel on Thur, go to the game that night, have Fri/Sat in LYH.

Not ideal, but it is what it is. I'll be happy to go to a game and always happy to see the kids.
Sly Fox, flamehunter, rtb72 and 2 others liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 11th, 2023, 9:08 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 11th, 2023, 9:06 pm Normally there's nothing happening in Lynchburg on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so Liberty may as well play football. Heck it might even improve attendance. I think I've missed only 4 home games in the past 16 seasons. I have never been satisfied with attendance, even BYU and VT games.
Considering you complain about everything it’s doubtful you’ve ever been satisfied with anything
Just like Prince's mother in "When Doves Cry," - she's never satisfied
Purple Haize liked this
By tyndal23
Back to back long road trips condensed down to a week instead of 12 days - and both will be tough outs next year - and fewer eyeballs watching on a Sat ( away game ) than Thursday night - don’t see any upside for LU on this change...wonder who was pushing for it ?
By AATL
tyndal23 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 1:16 am Back to back long road trips condensed down to a week instead of 12 days - and both will be tough outs next year - and fewer eyeballs watching on a Sat ( away game ) than Thursday night - don’t see any upside for LU on this change...wonder who was pushing for it ?
On the flip side, they now have almost two full weeks to prepare for the transition to Thursday/Tuesday games before the Sam Houston game and one less instance of midweek travel/missing class for the student-athletes.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My guess is that FIU was the primary initiator as they have already named the game with us their new Homecoming.

On the upside, we get a full bye week separation before the Sam game.
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: March 14th, 2023, 9:39 am My guess is that FIU was the primary initiator as they have already named the game with us their new Homecoming.

On the upside, we get a full bye week separation before the Sam game.
Saw it somewhere that it was requested by our media partners...can’t find the link or Tweet now, but that makes the most sense.
By Kiwon
tyndal23 wrote:Saw it somewhere that it was requested by our media partners...can’t find the link or Tweet now, but that makes the most sense.
"DALLAS – FIU, Liberty and New Mexico State have announced that two football games for the 2023 season have been shifted at the request of the conference office and its multimedia partners."

https://conferenceusa.com/news/2023/3/1 ... dates.aspx
CCWMichael liked this
By Ill flame

I was under the impression our midweek ESPN games would be on the flagship channel or ESPN2. It's pretty disappointing to see that ESPNU is the best we are going to get unless we make it to the conference championship game. It's still a massive improvement that the majority of our games will be on national TV now but CBSSN and ESPNU aren't heavily watched channels. One step at a time i guess.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
This is incredible television exposure. We have at least 8 nationally televised games. If we make the conference championship and a bowl game...we could have 10 nationally televised games in one season. I wonder, since the days of the Family Channel have passed...have we ever had double digit nationally televised football games in one season? The way I understand the CUSA agreement, CBS Sports Network had first pic of the games and then ESPN second...so CBS must really have valued the Liberty product. If you look at the CUSA as a whole...us and Utep did the best with 8 televised games. LA Tech and Sam Houston Had 7. WKU has 6...and I think the rest had 5. So we had tied for the most tv games from CUSA. Really good exposure for the Flames.
BlueBlood, Liberty_2023 liked this
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I was trying to compare LU's 6 CBSsports and 2 ESPNU games with the other state teams...here's what the other teams have so far as nationally televised games:

JMU as of today 2
UVA and Marshall
ESPNU and ESPN2

ODU as of today 3
VA Tech, Wake Forest, Appy State
ACC Network, ESPNU, Cox Business

VT as of today 4
ODU, Rutgers, Perdue, Syracuse
ACC Network, ESPN2, Big10, ESPN

UVA as of today 5
Tennessee, JMU, Maryland, NC State, Louisville
ABC, ESPNU, FS1, ESPN, ESPN

UVA probably wins easily in terms of exposure....but LU looks really good comparing to the rest of the teams in the state as of right now.
Sly Fox, Liberty_2023, rtb72 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
While I agree in theory, no one stumbles across games on CBS Sports Network. It is fairly low on the exposure scale.

Obviously CBS Sports & the ESPN folks valued us significantly above some of our new CUSA friends.
Ill flame liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]