Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
Called Dhari and Mel this morning and asked specifically:

1) What does he have to do at the combine to ensure a second round pick? ANSWER: He highlighted some of his positives, didn’t really speak on negatives, and singled out getting 4.5 40 as what he would need to be a probably second rounder. Anything above 4.5 would be phenomenal, seemingly making him a second round lock.

2) What puts him behind the likes of comparables such as Claypool, Pittman, Edwards, and Johnson? ANSWER: I have him ahead of many of those guys and others his size. He’s probably ahead of a lot of them on team boards as well at this point.

We already knew most of this, but thought y’all would like to know.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The Combine is turning into a "made for TV" show, rather than a football combine based on a couple articles I have read. I read where some teams are not even sending their coaching staff to scout players at combine. They are moving some drills to prime time for TV purposes. Seems as if TV folks are running combine instead of football folks.
chris leedlelee liked this
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
Some teams aren’t sending as many folks yes, but regardless of how it shows on TV the drills are still being done as they always have been. I think it’s a stretch to say it’s suddenly a made for tv show. The importance of many of the drills has always been a topic of debate, and some teams are tracking results in ways other than live on site viewing. Even the ones who have been in the news for not going to the combine are still at least there for part of it if not the on field drills.
chris leedlelee liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
22 reps in the bench press for AGG. That's second best among WRs to this point. Keep in mind that while he is obviously big and strong for a WR, tall, long-armed athletes are actually at a disadvantage in the BP, because they have to lift the weight a greater distance to complete a rep.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, he is tied for 7th best all time, and only one guy ahead of him was as tall or taller.

Metcalf is a FREAK.

AGG seemed really happy with his result. Wondering if it was a PR for him.
By tyndal23
Tied for 12th past 10 years based on the search ( could be, but not necessarily “all time” ). I am a power lifter and bench is a good lift for me - that said - I think it is a terrible test for specialty guys - shortens reach and tightens everything up - nothing really athletic about it at all. I do agree if you are going to do it for specialty guys - 225 for reps is better than doing a max. I think lineman should have to do 315 for reps - much better gauge for that position.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: February 26th, 2020, 5:47 pm 22 reps in the bench press for AGG.
I've read 22 reps, but how many pounds are they lifting? :dontgetit
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
He opened some eyes with his other work today. The team pro day is probably his only other chance to better that 40 time
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
In looking at his overall performance, AGG did not wow anyone with his measurables (except the bench press, which to be honest doesn't mean a lot at WR). He didn't hurt himself either. 40 time may have been disappointing to us here, but was probably about what most expected. Vertical and long jumps good, but not spectacular. Cone and shuttle drills were actually kinda slow. I think where he may have made himself some $$$ was with his route running and ball skills, where he really showed well. I think the other place he will shine is the interview room. He's an impressive young man.
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote: February 28th, 2020, 10:27 am In looking at his overall performance, AGG did not wow anyone with his measurables (except the bench press, which to be honest doesn't mean a lot at WR). He didn't hurt himself either. 40 time may have been disappointing to us here, but was probably about what most expected. Vertical and long jumps good, but not spectacular. Cone and shuttle drills were actually kinda slow. I think where he may have made himself some $$$ was with his route running and ball skills, where he really showed well. I think the other place he will shine is the interview room. He's an impressive young man.
At the risk of sounding prejudiced please note this is more just an observation of reality: not an endorsement of that reality. I think he interviews very well, especially compared to a lot of people that grew up in major cities. The reality of the NFL is the people with the money and the people in hiring positions(coaches/staffs) are not demographically representative of the player base. Articulate players always get an extra look.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: February 28th, 2020, 10:48 am
oldflame wrote: February 28th, 2020, 10:27 am In looking at his overall performance, AGG did not wow anyone with his measurables (except the bench press, which to be honest doesn't mean a lot at WR). He didn't hurt himself either. 40 time may have been disappointing to us here, but was probably about what most expected. Vertical and long jumps good, but not spectacular. Cone and shuttle drills were actually kinda slow. I think where he may have made himself some $$$ was with his route running and ball skills, where he really showed well. I think the other place he will shine is the interview room. He's an impressive young man.
At the risk of sounding prejudiced please note this is more just an observation of reality: not an endorsement of that reality. I think he interviews very well, especially compared to a lot of people that grew up in major cities. The reality of the NFL is the people with the money and the people in hiring positions(coaches/staffs) are not demographically representative of the player base. Articulate players always get an extra look.
Something that sounds like it should be insignificant, but IMHO contributes to AGG's overall "impressiveness"............... That VOICE.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: February 28th, 2020, 12:35 pm
oldflame wrote: February 28th, 2020, 11:15 am
Something that sounds like it should be insignificant, but IMHO contributes to AGG's overall "impressiveness"............... That VOICE.
:lol:
I hadn't thought of that comparison, but I bet AGG could do a good impression; maybe for the rookie talent show (if that's still a thing) on his NFL team.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Found this to be interesting over some of the national discussion over AGG's "slow 40 time."

Check out these guys who ran 4.6 or slower at the combine:

Chris Carter - 4.63
Larry Fitzgerald(AGG has mentioned him as one he like to imitate his game after) - 4.63
Jerry RIce - 4.71
Anquan Boldin(AGG trained with him) - 4.71

This is not to say that AGG will turn out to be like 1 of these 4 but I think he has a serious chance to be like Anquan Boldin with better hands.
By Jonathan Carone
I'm pretty sure most people knew his measurables weren't going to be what got him drafted high. Every single piece of coverage about him says to look at the tape. Watch how he catches the ball, runs routes, etc. Those are the things that impress people, not how fast he can run or how high he can jump.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’ll[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]