Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
oldflame wrote:Hmmmm. Looks like they have done away with the extra protection thingies they were wearing on the outside of the helmets in practice. I'm loving the emphasis on getting tougher together, but if there is evidence they help, why not wear them?
I was told they provide marginal help at best. The previous staff was just overly cautious about protecting from injuries which makes sense given Gill’s background.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I now HCHF said he would look to fill those two scholarships with an O-Lineman & a D-Lineman, but with how disappointed he has been with the RB room at this point would he even entertain the idea of bringing in Eric Swinney who is a grad transfer running back out of Ole MIss. He had a decent Sophmore campaign but only played in 4 games this past season. Freeze recruited him out of high school and I don't doubt he could help us out from a leadership standpoint too.
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote:I thought running back would be our strongest unit, and with most depth.
I certainly believe we do lack in a few areas. RB would be one where I thought we were string as well.
Then again, HF could just have higher expectations is if one day you perform then drop you have not grown. Maybe he is just pushing for the most he can get from a player. My experience, many players, and soldiers, do not even realize what they can achieve until the bar is continuously changed.

My personal opinion. HF expects contin uous growth and will not settle for a we are there attitude.
By Jonathan Carone
I think many of you are over thinking Freeze’s complaints. He has a much higher expectations of these guys than the previous staff. He’s trying to change a culture. Of course he’s going to be publicly disappointed in order to push players forward. His stated goal is to make the players uncomfortable in practice. This is a part of it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
2 position changes.
Treon Sibley from WR to RB
Johnny Huntley from WR to TE

I seem to recall someone predicting that second one a while back. :nod
Sibley to RB will help shore up the position this Spring, with Frankie and Peyton out injured.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Good to note about position changes. Yeah, whoever mentioned Huntley to TE was right on track!

I really hope the spring game is live streamed or even broadcasted on the radio. Being in Montana kinda prevents me from making the trip back home to see it. Plus the record snow fall we have received this last month! I will be shoveling till Jesus comes back.
By LibertyD
You all are worrying too soon. As a coach for 20 years, I NEVER tell my palyers their doing well at the beginning of spring training. I keep them uncomfortable..and this is what Freeze is doing...Rightfully! RBs are fine and will be even stronger. Don't forget Mack led the FCS nation as a RB a season ago! Kid is a beast. He and the others will only get better once they adapt to the new system. I'm more concerned about the WRs and QBs. AGG has got to fight thru hand checks and Buckshot's got to improve his long ball arm strength and accuracy, movement in the pocket, and use of legs when needed! Getting everyone in shape for HCHF tempo is the first step to overcoming HCTG lack there of...
By LibertyD
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think many of you are over thinking Freeze’s complaints. He has a much higher expectations of these guys than the previous staff. He’s trying to change a culture. Of course he’s going to be publicly disappointed in order to push players forward. His stated goal is to make the players uncomfortable in practice. This is a part of it.
WOW...I should have read your post first! You got it completely accurate... 8)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Consider the contrast: Coach Gill came to LU after going 2-10 at Kansas; Coach Freeze came to LU after winning the Sugar Bowl at Ole Miss and finishing 9th in the country.

Of course these coaches are going to have different expectations for their players.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I think Huntley is going to be a matchup nightmare as a TE in Freeze's system. Add in the FR Overton and we will probably have more production from that position next season than we have had in the last several years combined.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I haven't seen names taped to helmets since the We Are Marshall movie.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I haven't seen names taped to helmets since the We Are Marshall movie.
New coaching staff. Still learning who's who.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I figured that, Ballcoach. That's why the coaches did it in the movie, too. Coach Freeze even said in a recent interview that he is still learning players' names.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I figured that, Ballcoach. That's why the coaches did it in the movie, too. Coach Freeze even said in a recent interview that he is still learning players' names.
Shucks, I thought I had coached you up.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
3 things that seem to keep popping up in interviews with Hugh Freeze:

1. "Need to get better at tackling." - Refreshing to hear that as it means he is pushing them to get better at it!

2. "Lack of depth at defensive line and offensive line." - Yet, he has mentioned their competitiveness and that the O-line can be be very good if they stay healthy.

3. "Need to get our recruiting class here." - This speaks volumes in two ways. First, we need the depth plain and simple. Second, you can tell he has expectations for the type of players they recruited from this class especially Our 2 BIG juco d-lineman.

I appreciate so much Coach Freeze's transparency within the interviews. Not that Gill wasn't being himself or as transparent as he wanted to be. Just sharing an obvious difference in their two personalities.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:3 things that seem to keep popping up in interviews with Hugh Freeze:

1. "Need to get better at tackling." - Refreshing to hear that as it means he is pushing them to get better at it!

2. "Lack of depth at defensive line and offensive line." - Yet, he has mentioned their competitiveness and that the O-line can be be very good if they stay healthy.

3. "Need to get our recruiting class here." - This speaks volumes in two ways. First, we need the depth plain and simple. Second, you can tell he has expectations for the type of players they recruited from this class especially Our 2 BIG juco d-lineman.

I appreciate so much Coach Freeze's transparency within the interviews. Not that Gill wasn't being himself or as transparent as he wanted to be. Just sharing an obvious difference in their two personalities.
It’s certainly a shot across the bow for players currently on campus. Especially if there are numerous recruits coming in to your area
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Tweet from Liberty Football about Saturday's activities referring to a "game-like scrimmage". That's what I'm talkin about!
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]